Who to contact:
• Mental Health Center of North Central Alabama — 1-800-365-6008 or http://www.mhcnca.org
• Decatur Morgan West Campus —1-800-937-3873 or http://www.decaturgeneral.org/services/behavorial
• Alabama Department of Mental Health — 1-800-367-0955 or http://www.mh.alabama.gov
• NAMI Alabama — 1-800-626-4199 or http://www.namialabama.org
• National Institute of Mental Health — 1-866-615-6464 or http://www.nimh.nih.gov
• National Dialogue on Mental Health — http://www.mentalhealth.gov
Charley Pell’s story
Five years ago, the Alabama Department of Mental Health produced a nationally recognized documentary about Charley Pell and his lifelong struggle with depression. A failed attempt at suicide led Pell, a former head football coach at Jacksonville State, Clemson and Florida, to become an advocate for depression awareness until his death from cancer in 2001.
This documentary can be viewed online at:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xTHOex94tew (Source: Alabama Department of Mental Health)
Symptoms of depression
Depression is among the most common mental illnesses diagnosed nationally and locally. The National Institute of Mental Health produced a brief video to help people learn about the signs and symptoms of depression.
The video can be viewed at:
http://www.namialabama.org/697234 (Source: National Institute of Mental Health)