The North Alabama Chapter of Associated Builders and Contractors recently celebrated its 20th anniversary with a luncheon event at Huntsville Botanical Gardens.
The day was dedicated to the founding members of the local chapter who are still active in ABC of North Alabama. These companies were presented with plaques of appreciation and recognition:
• Alabama Concrete Co. Inc.
• J. Smith Lanier & Co. of Huntsville
• Alabama Drywall Supply
• M&D Mechanical Contractors Inc.
• Allied Electric Inc.
• Service Steel Inc.
• H.C. Blake Co. Inc.
• Shannon Brothers Tile Inc.
• Byco Plastics LLC
• Sherman Industries
• Consolidated Construction Company
• Smith Service Corporation
• Ready Mix USA Inc.
• Stewart Electric Company Inc.
• Early Services Inc.
• Jesse Stutts Inc.
• Gobble-Fite Lumber Co. Inc.
• Thermal Insulation Inc.
• Goss Electric Company Inc.
• Wells & Tate Electric Company Inc.
• Hubbard & Drake General/Mechanical Contractors
• The William Wilson Company Inc.
Also recognized at the meeting were the Eagle Lifetime Achievement Award winners, who are selected each year by the past chairmen of the association. The past Eagle Lifetime Achievement Award winners are:
• Phillip Boss
• Jesse Stutts
• Gerald McCormick
• Carl Goss
• Harold Eskew
• Robert Brindley (posthumous)
• Jim Early Sr.
• Nick Vance
• Hall Bryant
Harold Eskew gave the history of the chapter. Beginning with 63 first-year founding members 20 years ago, the organization now has a membership of more than 220 companies, comprised of general contractors, sub-contractors, architects, material suppliers and associates in North Alabama and surrounding areas.
Laurie McGuffey, chairman of the Excellence in Construction committee presented six National Excellence in Construction Awards. The awards recognize the best project in each category in the nation.
“This speaks volumes about the quality of the projects being constructed in our area,” McGuffy said.
National Eagle Award winners
• Renovation $10 to $100 million: Fite Building Co. Inc. for Independence Tube Corporation
• Residential/multi-family projects and condominiums: Brindley Construction LLC for Neighborhoods at Tiger Place – Columbia, Mo.
• Institutional - less than $5 million: Brindley Construction LLC for South Central Tennessee Development District Administrative Office
National Pyramid Award winners
• Mechanical: Commercial/institutional - less than $2 million: Early Services Inc. for Madison Fire Station No. 2
• Renovation - less than $4 million: Moon Construction Services Inc. for ATI Wah Chang Building 4 Re-Roof
• Commercial - less than $5 million: Moon Construction Services, Inc. for 24/7 Health Club & Wellness Center.