Athens High School
Athens High School students can pick up 2012-13 school year class schedules in the school cafeteria as follows: seniors, 8-10 a.m., Aug. 13; juniors, 8-10 a.m., Aug. 14; sophomores, 10 a.m. until noon, Aug. 14. Freshman orientation is at 6 p.m., Aug. 16, in the theatre and cafeteria.
Hula Hoop Rug Fun Shop
Students ages 9-13 can learn basic hoop weaving skills by transforming old, recycled T-shirts into a colorful rug from 9-11:30 a.m. Tuesday at the County Extension Office, Suite C. Supply fee is $5. Limited space. Register at the Extension Office or call 256-232-5510.
Used book sale
The Friends of Athens-Limestone Public Library will hold a used book sale from 10 a.m. until 4 p.m. Tuesday at the library at 405 E. South St. Contact: 256-232-1233.
The Athens Intermediate School sixth-grade schedule pickup and teacher meet and greet will be held from 4-6 p.m. Tuesday in the front lobby. Students must have a current IMM Blue Card with a recent T-dap shot.
AHS freshman orientation
Athens High School will hold orientation for freshmen and new students at 6 p.m. Thursday in the theater and cafeteria. Class schedules will be distributed.
Athens Intermediate orientation
The Athens Intermediate School fifth-grade orientation and schedule pickup will be held at 6 p.m. Thursday in the school cafetorium.
The Positive Look support group for the blind and visually impaired, family and friends will hear an information and services update by State Rehabilitation Teacher Richard Moroney from 10 a.m. until noon Friday at the Athens Recreation Center. Contact: Maralyn Cox 256-232-5085.
Tanner High Class of ’72
The Tanner High School Class of 1972 will have a cookout from noon until 2 p.m. Saturday at the Tanner Baptist Family Life Center. Participants are asked to bring a side dish and a soft drink. Supper is planned for 6 p.m. at the old Greenbrier Restaurant.
Athens High Class of ’72
The Athens High School Class of 1972 will celebrate its 40th reunion from 7-11 p.m. Saturday at Canebrake Country Club. Cost is $30 per person or $60 a couple. Contact for reservations and information: Amy Black Woodroof at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Rescue Squad fundraiser
The Athens-Limestone Rescue Squad is accepting donations for a future yard sale fundraiser. Drop off items at their 1401 Freeman Avenue location or call for pickup at 256-434-6355 or 434-6352.
Pleasant Point Cemetery is in need of new fencing and the cemetery committee is seeking donations from those whose family members are buried there. Donations may be made to Pleasant Point Cemetery Fence Fund, c/o Carrie Durham, 18175 Thompson Road, Athens, AL 35611. New Cut Road Mini Mart will donate $1 to the fund for each pizza sold if the buyer makes the request. Contact: Doc Downs at 256-729-6746 or Carrie Durham at 256-614-0721.
Elkmont High reunion
Elkmont High School Class of 1987 is seeking members of its class for a reunion lunch. The event will be at 6 p.m. Sept. 29 at the high school. Contact: Shane Bates Leopard at email@example.com of Brad Lewis at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Brewer High reunion
The Brewer High School Class of 1987 will hold its 25th reunion Sept. 28-29. Contact Jeff Joner at email@example.com for details.
•Republicans. The Limestone County Republican Executive Committee will hold its regular meeting on Monday, Aug. 13, at LuVici’s Restaurant in Athens. Social time begins at 5:30 p.m.; meeting begins at 6:30. Contact: Chairman Coffman at firstname.lastname@example.org.
• Master Gardeners. The Limestone County Master Gardener Assoc. will meet at noon Monday, Aug. 13, in the Extension Office on Market Street in Athens.
• Cancer survivor dinner. An American Cancer Society dinner and meeting for cancer survivors, caregivers and guests will be held at 6 p.m. Tuesday, Aug. 14, at Catfish Cabin 2. Contact: 256-232-6455.
• ALSO. Athens-Limestone Seniors Organization will meet during a Dutch lunch at 11 a.m. Thursday, Aug. 16, at Mac’s Steakhouse on Jefferson Street. Guest speaker is Athens Police Chief Captain Floyd Johnson. All seniors welcome.
• SCV. Sons of Confederate Veterans will meet at 7 p.m. Thursday, Aug. 16, at the Alabama Veterans Museum on Pryor Street. Public invited.
• Republican women. Limestone Republican Women will meet Thursday, Aug. 16, at Mac’s Steakhouse, 1733 S. Jefferson St. Social at 6 p.m. and meeting at 6:30. Speakers will be local state senators and representatives who will discuss the last legislative session. Audience can ask questions.
• Blacksmiths. Athens Blacksmiths will meet at 10 a.m. Saturday, Aug. 18, at Travis Flemings Shop, 208 Commercial Drive in Athens. Visitors welcome. Contact: John Guenther 256-230-2900.
Limestone Ledger is a list of events hosted by nonprofit organizations. Items must be submitted in writing and are listed up to six days to include the day of the event. Mail or bring submissions to The News Courier, 410 W. Green St., Athens, AL 35611; email to email@example.com or fax to 256-233-7753.