The News Courier
Library community forum
The Athens-Limestone Public Library will host a community forum at 6 p.m. Thursday, April 18, on the renovation of the future library building. Project Manager Kerrick Whisenant and Library Director Paula Laurita will speak and take questions from the floor. Light refreshments provided. Guests can enter to win a Sony eReader and other door prizes. Contact: 256-232-1233 or www.alcpl.org.
The Positive Look support group for the blind and visually impaired, family and friends will meet from 10 a.m. until noon Friday at the Athens Recreation Center. Bring refreshments to share. Betty Ann Broman, coordinator with the Limestone County Extension Office will speak. Contact: Richard Moroney 1-800-671-6840.
The Athens-Limestone Rescue Squad barbecue chicken dinner with all the trimmings will begin at 10:30 a.m. Friday at 1401 Freeman Ave. $7 a plate. Takeouts or delivery. To place orders: 256-431-7734.
Singing on the Square
Singing on the Square will start at 6 p.m. Friday featuring Ashlyn Maine and The Valley Roots. Bring lawn chairs and blankets. Admission is free. In case of rain contact: 256-232-5411 or 256-867-1438.
The Limestone County Master Gardeners plant sale will be from 8 a.m. until noon Saturday at Farmers Market on Green Street.
Secure Your ID Day
Free on-site document shredding will be available from 8:30-10:30 a.m. Saturday at the U.S. Space & Rocket Center in front of the Davidson Center Building and from 1-3 p.m. at Calhoun Community College on U.S. 31 in Decatur. Participants can bring up to three boxes or bags of paper documents in a drive-thru arrangement.
4 Paws and a Book
A program to improve reading skills of children ages 5 and older, called 4 Paws and a Book will be held from 9-10:30 a.m. Saturday at the Houston Memorial Library in Athens. Children can bring their own book or read a favorite to Miss Sophie Grey, a Yorkshire terrier. To schedule a time to read, call the library at 256-233-8770.
Free Athens historic walking tours are being held each Saturday in April. Meet at Athens Visitors Center on Beaty Street at 9:45 a.m. Tours leave at 10. Select from five tours.
Keep Athens-Limestone Beautiful is hosting Earth Day and Outdoor Expo from 10 a.m. until 3 p.m. Saturday at Big Spring Memorial Park. Event includes raptors, reptiles and local outdoor and sporting vendors.
Electronics will be accepted during Earth Day at Big Spring Memorial Park from 10 a.m. until 3 p.m. There is an $8 disposal fee for televisions. Self-serve shredding also available. Enter East Street from Washington for these services. More information: 256-233-8728.
Swamp John supper
A Swamp John supper to raise money for the American Cancer Society will be held from 11 a.m. until 2 p.m. Saturday at Lincoln-Bridgeforth Park in Athens. Chicken, fish and shrimp plates are $10 each. Contact: 256-232-0591.
East beauty walk
The 2013 Miss East Limestone Beauty Walk entry forms are available online at www.eastlimestonehigh.org and in the front offices of East Limestone High and Creekside Elementary. The walk will be held at 6 p.m. Saturday in the old gym for ages kindergarten through 12th grade who attend East high school, middle school or Creekside.
Contact: Susie Lindau, firstname.lastname@example.org, or Jennifer Janzen, email@example.com.
Camp Hope training
Camp Hope volunteer training sessions will be held at 2 p.m. Sunday, April 21, and May 5, at the Hospice of Limestone County office at 405 S. Marion St. Must be age 16 or older, provide references and play well with children. Camp Hope will be from 9 a.m. until 3:30 p.m. at Camp Helen in East Limestone.
Used book sale
The Friends of Athens-Limestone Public Library will hold a used book sale from 10 a.m. until 4 p.m. Tuesday at the library at 405 E. South St. Contact: 256-232-1233.
Veterans Museum fish fry
Advance tickets are available for the Alabama Veterans Museum and Archives annual fish fry to be held from 11 a.m. until 1 p.m. Friday, April 26, at Emmanuel Baptist Church, 1917 U.S. 72 West in Athens. Tickets are $10 in advance, $12 at the door and available at the museum, 100 W. Pryor Street.
• ALSO. The Athens-Limestone Seniors Organization will meet and have a Dutch-treat lunch at 11 a.m. Thursday, April 18, at Mac’s Steakhouse on Jefferson Street. Public invited.
• Tanner Class of ’67. The Tanner High School Class of 1967 women will meet and eat at 5:30 p.m. Thursday, April 18, at Stanfield Restaurant in Rogersville. Contact: 256-232-1628.
• Relay for Life. The Limestone County Relay for Life committee will meet at 5:30 p.m. Thursday, April 18, at the First National Bank. Team captains meet from 6-7 and committee meeting is 7-8.
• Republican Women. The Limestone Republican Women will meet Thursday, April 18, at HG Grill next to Taco Bell on U.S. 72. Dinner at 5:45 p.m., meeting at 6:30. Guest speaker is Ronnie Coffman, chairman of the Limestone County Republican Executive Committee. Visitors and new members welcome.
• AMVETS. Post 21 and the Ladies Auxiliary will meet at 6 p.m. Thursday, April 18, at 22769 Black Road in Athens. Covered dish dinner. Upcoming events and Post business will be discussed. Contact: Lyle Sadler 256-771-2029.
• SCV. The Capt. Thomas H. Hobbs Camp 768 Sons of Confederate Veterans will meet at 6 p.m. Thursday, April 18, at the Alabama Veterans Museum and Archives. Robert Parham will speak on “Fort Decatur and the Battle About It.” Public is invited.
• AHS ‘78 reunion. A planning meeting for the Athens High School Class of 1978 reunion will be held at 6 p.m. Tuesday, April 23, at Southern Bridal/Event Rental, a half mile west of Walmart on U.S. 72. Contact: 256-232-4688.
• Historical Society. The Limestone County Historical Society will meet at 6:30 p.m. Tuesday, April 23, at the First Presbyterian Church Rodgers Center. Local historian Peggy Allen Towns speaks at 7 on her book “Duty Driven: The Plight of North Alabama’s African Americans during the Civil War.” Public invited. No charge.
Limestone Ledger is a list of events hosted by nonprofit organizations. Items must be submitted in writing and are listed up to six days to include the day of the event. Mail or bring submissions to The News Courier, 410 W. Green St., Athens, AL 35611; email to firstname.lastname@example.org or fax to 256-233-7753.