The News Courier
Ride to Read
The Ride to Read Trail Ride sponsored by Limestone County Sheriff’s Office will begin at 2 p.m. today at Neal Johnston Farm in Minor Hill, Tenn. Gate opens at 11 a.m. Adults, $15; non-riders and children under age 12, $7. Meal included after the ride. Ride to Read benefits the Athens-Limestone Public Library Foundation. Contact: 256-232-0111, 256-232-1233 or visit www.alcpl.org.
Reyer family reunion
The Reyer family reunion will be held today at the First National Bank Community Room at 26599 Main St. in Ardmore, Tenn. Bring covered dish for a 1 p.m. lunch. To find out more about Reyer family descendants invited call 256-423-3537.
Used book sale
The Friends of Athens-Limestone Public Library will hold a used book sale from 10 a.m. until 4 p.m. Tuesday at the library at 405 E. South St. Contact: 256-232-1233.
Domestic violence candlelight vigil
Crisis Services of North Alabama will host a candlelight vigil for domestic violence victims at 6 p.m. Wednesday on the east side of the Limestone County Courthouse Square. Rain site is the duck pond pavilion at Big Spring Memorial Park. Contact: Christa Crabtree 256-232-0280.
Limestone County District 4 Commissioner Bill Daws will host a free stew at 11 a.m. Wednesday at the Owens Senior Center on Highway 99. Goat, turkey and chicken stew will be available to the public until it runs out.
Thomas Bauer fundraiser deadline
Thursday is the deadline for pre-sale orders for the hamburger and hot dog fundraiser for Thomas Bauer scheduled for 11 a.m. until 1 p.m. Thursday, Oct. 18. A $6 meal includes hamburger, hot dog, chips and dessert. A 10-plate or more order can be delivered. Pickup location is Athens Utilities break room at 1806 Wilkinson St. To order or buy tickets contact: Heather Rouse or Beth Clem 256-232-1440, Chanel Thompson 256-233-8737 or Sharon Seay 256-233-8727. Thomas Bauer is age 7 and has been diagnosed with leukemia.
The Athens Bible School annual Fall Festival will be held at 6 p.m. Friday in the school gymnasium. Activities for all ages. The senior class will hold an auction from 6-8 p.m. including sporting event tickets, vacation packages, family gifts, dining gift cards, movie and event tickets and more.
Caregiver’s Night Out will be from 6-9 p.m. Friday at Clements Baptist Church, 8690 U.S. 72 West. Make reservations by noon Thursday, Oct. 11, at 256-232-7207.
Friends of Ardmore Public Library will sponsor a Christmas bazaar and bake sale from 1-4 p.m. Saturday at the library on Main Street.
Rescue Squad yard sale
The Athens-Limestone Rescue Squad is accepting donations for a yard sale to be held at a later date. The originally scheduled Oct. 5-6 sale has been postponed. Anyone with donations to be picked up can call 256-434-6355.
Quilt auction benefit
East Lauderdale Quilters of Rogersville are holding a quilt auction to benefit the Wounded Warrior Project. The 86-by-96-inch quilt is 100-percent cotton. Bid via email at email@example.com or phone 256-247-5558. Last day to bid is Oct. 31.
• Prospect Cemetery Assoc. The fall meeting of the Prospect Cemetery Association will be at 2 p.m. today, Oct. 7, at the Prospect Rescue Squad building. Reports will be presented and 2013 committee members will be elected. Contact: Charlie Crosby 256-216-5840 and Cindy Harris 931-363-0202.
• City Council. The Athens City Council will meet at 5:30 p.m. Monday, Oct. 8, at the Athens Police Department on West Hobbs Street. A work session begins at 4:30 p.m.
• Master Gardeners. Limestone County Master Gardeners will meet at 6 p.m., Monday, Oct. 8, at First National Bank in Athens. Guest speaker Don Collier, professor at Calhoun College, will bring a program on “Invasive Plants.” Public is invited.
• Cancer survivor dinner. An American Cancer Society dinner and meeting for cancer survivors, caregivers and guests will be held at 6 p.m. Tuesday, Oct. 9, at Catfish Cabin 2. Contact: 256-232-4211.
•Republicans. The Limestone County Republican Executive Committee will hold its regular meeting on Tuesday, Oct. 9, at LuVici’s Restaurant in Athens. Social time begins at 5:30 p.m.; meeting begins at 6:30. Contact: Chairman Ronnie Coffman at firstname.lastname@example.org.
• DAV. The Disabled American Veterans monthly meeting will be held Tuesday, Oct. 9, at the DAV on Airport Road off Alabama 127 in Athens. Food and fellowship at 6 p.m. and meeting at 7. Members are encouraged to attend.
• Preservation. The annual meeting of the Historic Preservation Commission will be at 6 p.m. Tuesday, Oct. 9, at the Visitors Center. Contact: 256-233-2224.
• County Commission. The Limestone County Commission will hold a work session at 10 a.m. Wednesday, Oct. 10, at the Washington Street annex.
• Garden Club. Athens Garden Club members and guests will meet Wednesday, Oct. 10, at the First Presbyterian Church Rodgers Center. Beekeeper Lionel Evans will present the program, “The Season of the Honeybee.” Refreshments at 9 a.m. Meeting at 9:30.
• ALERA. Athens-Limestone Education Retirees Association will meet at 9:30 a.m. Friday, Oct. 12, at Athens Recreation Center on Alabama 251. All retirees of Athens and Limestone County school systems are invited. Wellness screening and flu shots will be offered. Contact: Bill Graham 256-729-6258.
• NSDAR. The John Wade Keyes chapter of the National Society Daughters of the American Revolution, will meet at 9:30 a.m. Saturday, Oct. 13, at the First Presbyterian Church Rodgers Center. Steve Croomes will speak on his trip to Cuba. Contacts: Judy Rew 256-230-2105 or Doris Estes 256-232-8733.
• County Commission. The Limestone County Commission will meet at 10 a.m. Monday, Oct. 15, at the Clinton Street annex.
Limestone Ledger is a list of events hosted by nonprofit organizations. Items must be submitted in writing and are listed up to six days to include the day of the event. Mail or bring submissions to The News Courier, 410 W. Green St., Athens, AL 35611; email to email@example.com or fax to 256-233-7753.