Toys for Tots signups
The U.S. Marine Corps and United Way of Athens-Limestone County will accept applications for the Toys for Tots Program from 9 a.m. until noon and 1-4 p.m. Tuesday at the United Way location, 419 S. Marion St., in Athens. For children from birth to age 12 only. Bring proof of income, birth certificates and Social Security cards for each child, proof of residency in Limestone County and photo ID. Contact: 256-233-2323.
The American Legion Post 49 monthly chicken stew will be held from 10 a.m. until 1 p.m. Tuesday. Cost is $5 to eat in or for per quart carryouts. Containers provided. No sides with carryouts. Information: Rod Huffman 256-233-3023. Reserve carryouts: 256-230-6233.
Meet Republican candidates
Meet local Republican candidates from 6:30-8:30 p.m. Tuesday at the Republican Headquarters, 209 Washington Street on the Square. Questions are welcome. Contact: Ronnie G. Coffman, chairman of the Limestone Republican Executive Committee at email@example.com.
Rescue Squad yard sale
The Athens-Limestone Rescue Squad is accepting donations for a yard sale to be held at a later date. The originally scheduled Oct. 5-6 sale has been postponed. Anyone with donations to be picked up can call 256-434-6355.
Quilt auction benefit
East Lauderdale Quilters of Rogersville are holding a quilt auction to benefit the Wounded Warrior Project. The 86-by-96-inch quilt is 100-percent cotton. Bid via email at firstname.lastname@example.org or phone 256-247-5558. Last day to bid is Oct. 31.
• County Commission. The Limestone County Commission will hold a work session at 10 a.m. today, Oct. 10, at the Washington Street annex.
• Garden Club. Athens Garden Club members and guests will meet today, Oct. 10, at the First Presbyterian Church Rodgers Center. Beekeeper Lionel Evans will present the program, “The Season of the Honeybee.” Refreshments at 9 a.m. Meeting at 9:30.
• ALERA. Athens-Limestone Education Retirees Association will meet at 9:30 a.m. Friday, Oct. 12, at Athens Recreation Center on Alabama 251. All retirees of Athens and Limestone County school systems are invited. Wellness screening and flu shots will be offered. Contact: Bill Graham 256-729-6258.
• NSDAR. The John Wade Keyes chapter of the National Society Daughters of the American Revolution, will meet at 9:30 a.m. Saturday, Oct. 13, at the First Presbyterian Church Rodgers Center. Steve Croomes will speak on his trip to Cuba. Contacts: Judy Rew 256-230-2105 or Doris Estes 256-232-8733.
• County Commission. The Limestone County Commission will meet at 10 a.m. Monday, Oct. 15, at the Clinton Street annex.
• VFW. Veterans of Foreign Wars and Ladies Auxiliary will gather for dinner, fellowship and the monthly meeting at 6 p.m. Tuesday, Oct. 16, at the Post, 4765 N. Jefferson St. Contact: Fred 256-233-0213.
• Democrats. The Limestone County Democrats will meet Tuesday, Oct. 16, at election headquarters, 304 Green St. Social at 6 p.m. Meeting at 6:30. Guest speaker is District 3 Rep. Marcel Black to discuss and debate constitutional amendments on the Nov. 6 ballot. Public invited.
• Historical Society. The Limestone County Historical Society will meet at 6:30 p.m. Tuesday, Oct. 16, at the First Presbyterian Church Rodgers Center. ASU professor and historian Dr. Al Elmore speaks at 7 on the July 1862 court-martial of Union Col. John B. Turchin.
Limestone Ledger is a list of events hosted by nonprofit organizations. Items must be submitted in writing and are listed up to six days to include the day of the event. Mail or bring submissions to The News Courier, 410 W. Green St., Athens, AL 35611; email to email@example.com or fax to 256-233-7753.