The News Courier
Toys for Tots signup
The U.S. Marine Corps and the United Way of Athens-Limestone County will be accepting applications for Toys for Tots from 9 a.m.-noon and from 1-4 p.m. Thursday. The program is only for children from birth to age 12. Parents/guardians must bring birth certificates and Social Security cards for eligible children, and proof of income, Limestone County residency and a picture ID of themselves. Contact: 256-233-2323.
Caregiver’s Night Out will be from 6-9 p.m. Friday at Isom’s Chapel United Methodist Church at 16230 Mooresville Road. Make reservations by noon Thursday, Nov. 1, at 256-232-7207.
The Bethel, Tenn., Lodge 194 F&AM will serve a buffet breakfast for charity from 7-9 a.m. Saturday at the lodge. Public invited. Veterans eat free. Nonperishable food is being collected for the food bank.
Veterans Day parade
The annual Veterans Day parade will be at 11 a.m. Saturday starting at Athens High School. This year’s grand marshal is former World War II paratrooper and prisoner of war Dempsey McLemore. To participate in the parade, call Roxanne Haggermaker at 256-273-3074 or Sandy Thompson at 256-771-7578.
National defense luncheon
John Wade Keyes chapter National Society of the Daughters of the American Revolution will host a national defense luncheon at 11:30 a.m. Saturday at First Presbyterian Church Rodgers Center in downtown Athens. Author and inspirational speaker Margret Medford will talk about living in Germany during and following World War II. Cost is $25. For payment information, contact Judy Rewudy53@bellsouth.net.
Clements High School students are raising funds for their school by selling discount cards to the public through Nov. 9. The $20 Smartcard offers 190 local discounts and 250,000 nationwide discounts. Contact: Jennifer Horton at 256-415-7057 or go online to www.smartcardsavings.net.
Athens-Limestone Public Library is holding free e-Reader classes October through December. To learn class dates, times and schedule a short appointment, call Laura at 256-232-1233.
• Sportsman Club. The Limestone County Sportsman Club will meet at 7 p.m. Thursday, Nov. 1, at the Clubhouse on Kennedy Drive. Contact: Lyle Sadler 256-771-2029.
• Commission work session. The Limestone County Commission will hold a work session at 10 a.m. today, Oct. 31, at the Washington Street Annex in Athens.
• Commission meeting. The Limestone County Commission will hold its regular meeting at 10 a.m. Monday, Nov. 5, at the Clinton Street Courthouse Annex.
• Council special meeting. The Athens City Council will hold a special meeting at 6 p.m. Monday, Nov. 5, in the courtroom of the Athens Police Station to organize the new City Council.
• Limestone school board. The Limestone County school board will meet at 6 p.m. Tuesday, Nov. 8, at the Clinton Street Courthouse Annex.
Limestone Ledger is a list of events hosted by nonprofit organizations. Items must be submitted in writing and are listed up to six days to include the day of the event. Mail or bring submissions to The News Courier, 410 W. Green St., Athens, AL 35611; email to email@example.com or fax to 256-233-7753.