The News Courier
Dog rescue fundraiser
Peace, Love and Animals will hold a yard sale to raise funds for dog rescue from 7 a.m. until 3 p.m. Friday and Saturday, Sept. 13-14, at Athens Skating Rink on U.S. 72.
Caregiver’s Night Out will be from 6-9 tonight, Sept. 13, at Clements Baptist Church, 8690 U.S. 72 West. Contact: 256-232-7207.
The Lions Club dove hunt will be held Saturday and Sunday, Sept. 14 and 15, at Dickey Hobbs Farm Sunflower-millet. Preselect spots are $30 and $20 the day of the hunt. Contact: 256-732-4304 or 256-732-4300.
Boy Scout fundraiser
Boy Scout Troop 221 will hold a car wash from 9 a.m. “until” on Saturday, Sept. 14, at Salem United Methodist Church. The event is to help raise money for 2014 summer camp.
Coupon patrol workshop
The nonprofit organization Coupon Patrol, which teaches consumers how to use coupons to best advantage, is holding a free workshop at 10 a.m. Saturday, Sept. 14, at Yesterdays Event Center off Browns Ferry Road in the Reid community. Attendees are being asked to bring two canned-food items to help families in need.
VFD family portraits
People who received a free family portrait certificate for donating to the Clements Volunteer Fire Department can have the portrait taken from 10 a.m. until 3 p.m. Saturday, Sept. 14, and from 11 a.m. until 4 p.m. Sunday, Sept. 15, at the fire department.
The Dollar family reunion will be at 11 a.m. Sunday, Sept. 15, at the West Side Community Center. Attendees are asked to bring a covered dish for 12:30 p.m. lunch. More information: Betty Dollar 256-729-6042.
Legg Cemetery decoration
Legg Cemetery decoration will be Sunday, Sept. 15. Donations or upkeep may be mailed to: Delois Mason, 27359 Leggtown Road, Elkmont, AL 35620.
Spaghetti dinner fundraiser
A spaghetti dinner fundraiser for the Veterans Museum will be held Monday, Sept. 16, at the Vietnam Veterans building on West Elm Street. Lunch is 11 a.m. until 3 p.m. Supper is 5-8 p.m. All you can eat for $6 includes spaghetti, bread, salad, drink and dessert.
Registration is underway for beginning Spanish classes to begin Monday, Sept. 16 at the Learn to Read office at the Quad-Plex, 110 Thomas St., Suite 115 in Athens. For fee information and more details call 256-230-3050.
Patient care training
Hospice of Limestone County will hold free patient-care volunteer training from 9 a.m. until 2:30 p.m. and 5-9 p.m. on Tuesdays Sept. 17 and 24. Participants must attend on both Tuesdays. Preregistration is underway. To enroll or ask questions, call 256-232-5017 or visit email@example.com.
The American Legion Post 49 monthly chicken stew will be held from 10 a.m. until 1 p.m. Tuesday, Sept. 17. Cost is $5 to eat in or for per quart carryouts. Containers provided. No sides with carryouts. More information: Bob Borden 256-509-1306. Reserve carryouts: 256-230-6233.
Flu shot clinics for seniors
Walgreens flu shot clinics through the Council on Aging will be held Thursday, Sept. 19, from 8:30-9:30 a.m. at Owens Senior Center and from 10-11 a.m. at Goodsprings Senior Center.
The public is invited to a celebration of the Constitution at 1:30 p.m. Thursday, Sept. 19, at the Alabama Veterans Museum, 100 Pryor St. Retired Air Force Major Gen. Chris Anzalone is guest speaker. Refreshments served. John Wade Keyes chapter Daughters of the American Revolution is hosting the event.
Meet the neighbors
The Ardmore Public Library program Ardmore’s Alabama Neighbors will be at 5 p.m. Sept. 19 and Oct. 17. It will feature several people from surrounding communities to educate those in attendance on their community and includes people from Bryson, Macedonia, Piney Grove, Wooley Springs and Prospect.
Chick-fil-A Spirit Night
Cowart Elementary’s Chick-fil-A Spirit Night is 5-8 p.m. Thursday, Sept. 19, at the U.S. 72 location. Customers are encouraged to ask cashiers to credit their purchase to Cowart Elementary.
Duck & Run 5K and Fun Run
Mildly-challenging, certified race through Athens that starts and ends at Big Spring Memorial Park. Packet pickup and late registration Friday, Sept. 20, at Fleet Feet Sports in Huntsville from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. and at the KALB Office, 125 East St. in Athens from 4-7 p.m. 5K Registration $25. Fun Run $10. Race-day registration begins at 6:45 a.m., Sept. 21, at the KALB office. 5K begins at 8 a.m. Fun Run at 9 a.m. More information: 256-233-8728 or visit www.KALBCares.com.
Fire department yard sale
The Clements Volunteer Fire Department is in need of donations for its annual yard sale to be held the first weekend in October. Call 256-374-8350 to have items picked up.
Candlelight vigil planning
Crisis Services will hold planning meetings at 6 p.m. each Tuesday in September for its annual Candlelight Vigil for Victims of Domestic Violence to be held Tuesday, Oct. 8 on The Square. More information: Christa 256-232-0280.
• NSDAR. John Wade Keyes chapter of the Daughters of the American Revolution will meet at 9:30 a.m. Saturday, Sept. 14, at the First Presbyterian Church Rodgers Center. More information: Judy Rew 256-230-2105 or Brenda Winter 256-771-3536.
• NAACP. The Limestone County NAACP general membership meeting will be held at 7:30 p.m. Monday, Sept. 16, at the Athens Chamber of Commerce, 101 Beaty St. Public welcome. Contact: Wilbert Woodruff 256-227-8489.
• Partners in Pink. Partners in Pink Breast Cancer Support Group will meet at 6 p.m. Tuesday, Sept. 17, at the Athens-Limestone Hospital education room. Dr. Daley and Dr. Lang with HealthSource of Athens will give a presentation on nutrition. Contact: Tammy Woodward 256-206-6052.
• VFW. VFW and Ladies Auxiliary will meet at 6 p.m. Tuesday, Sept. 17, at the post home on North Jefferson Street. Contact: 256-233-0213.
• Cowart PTO. Cowart Elementary School will have a PTO meeting and open house beginning at 6 p.m. Tuesday, Sept. 17.
• Republicans. The Limestone County Republican Party will hold its monthly meeting Tuesday, Sept. 17, at 306 Barbecue on U.S. 72 in Athens. Social hour from 6-7 p.m. Executive committee meeting at 7. Public invited.
• ALSO. The Athens-Limestone Seniors Organization will hold a members-only meeting at 10:30 a.m. Thursday, Sept. 19, at Athens Rehabilitation and Senior Care on Market Street.
• AMVETS. Mims-Russell American Veterans Memorial Post 21 will meet at 6 p.m. Thursday, Sept. 19, at 22769 Black Road in Athens. Potluck dinner at 6 p.m. Meeting begins at 7. www.amvetspost21.org.
• Republican Women. The Limestone Republican Women will meet Thursday, Sept. 19, at HF Grill on U.S. 72. Dinner at 5:45 p.m., meeting at 6:30. Guest speaker is Heather Beshears.
• SCV. The Capt. Thomas H. Hobbs Camp 768 Sons of Confederate Veterans will meet at 6 p.m. Thursday, Sept. 19, at the Alabama Veterans Museum and Archives. Limestone County Archivist Rebekah Davis will speak on how to look up your ancestors. The public is invited.
Limestone Ledger is a list of events hosted by nonprofit organizations. Items must be submitted in writing and are listed up to six days to include the day of the event. Email submissions to firstname.lastname@example.org, fax to 256-233-7753 or bring to The News Courier, 410 W. Green St., Athens, AL 35611.