The News Courier
VFD family portraits
People who received a free family portrait certificate for donating to the Clements Volunteer Fire Department can have the portrait taken from 11 a.m. until 4 p.m. today, Sept. 15, at the fire department.
The Dollar family reunion will be at 11 a.m. today, Sept. 15, at the West Side Community Center. Attendees are asked to bring a covered dish for 12:30 p.m. lunch. More information: Betty Dollar 256-729-6042.
Legg Cemetery decoration
Legg Cemetery decoration will be today, Sept. 15. Donations or upkeep may be mailed to: Delois Mason, 27359 Leggtown Road, Elkmont, AL 35620.
Spaghetti dinner fundraiser
A spaghetti dinner fundraiser for the Veterans Museum will be held Monday, Sept. 16, at the Vietnam Veterans building on West Elm Street. Lunch is 11 a.m. until 3 p.m. Supper is 5-8 p.m. All you can eat for $6 includes spaghetti, bread, salad, drink and dessert.
Registration is underway for beginning Spanish classes to begin Monday, Sept. 16 at the Learn to Read office at the Quad-Plex, 110 Thomas St., Suite 115 in Athens. For fee information and more details call 256-230-3050.
Patient care training
Hospice of Limestone County will hold free patient-care volunteer training from 9 a.m. until 2:30 p.m. and 5-9 p.m. on Tuesdays Sept. 17 and 24. Participants must attend on both Tuesdays. Preregistration is underway. To enroll or ask questions, call 256-232-5017 or visit email@example.com.
The American Legion Post 49 monthly chicken stew will be held from 10 a.m. until 1 p.m. Tuesday, Sept. 17. Cost is $5 to eat in or for per quart carryouts. Containers provided. No sides with carryouts. More information: Bob Borden 256-509-1306. Reserve carryouts: 256-230-6233.
Flu shot clinics for seniors
Walgreens flu shot clinics through the Council on Aging will be held Thursday, Sept. 19, from 8:30-9:30 a.m. at Owens Senior Center and from 10-11 a.m. at Goodsprings Senior Center.
The public is invited to a celebration of the Constitution at 1:30 p.m. Thursday, Sept. 19, at the Alabama Veterans Museum, 100 Pryor St. Retired Air Force Major Gen. Chris Anzalone is guest speaker. Refreshments served. John Wade Keyes chapter Daughters of the American Revolution is hosting the event.
Meet the neighbors
The Ardmore Public Library program Ardmore’s Alabama Neighbors will be at 5 p.m. Sept. 19 and Oct. 17. It will feature several people from surrounding communities to educate those in attendance on their community and includes people from Bryson, Macedonia, Piney Grove, Wooley Springs and Prospect.
Chick-fil-A Spirit Night
Cowart Elementary’s Chick-fil-A Spirit Night is 5-8 p.m. Thursday, Sept. 19, at the U.S. 72 location. Customers are encouraged to ask cashiers to credit their purchase to Cowart Elementary.
Duck & Run 5K and Fun Run
Mildly-challenging, certified race through Athens that starts and ends at Big Spring Memorial Park. Packet pickup and late registration Friday, Sept. 20, at Fleet Feet Sports in Huntsville from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. and at the KALB Office, 125 East St. in Athens from 4-7 p.m. 5K Registration $25. Fun Run $10. Race-day registration begins at 6:45 a.m., Sept. 21, at the KALB office. 5K begins at 8 a.m. Fun Run at 9 a.m. More information: 256-233-8728 or visit www.KALBCares.com.
Be ready day
The public is invited to attend a be ready day from 10 a.m. until 2 p.m., Friday, Sept. 20, at the Limestone County Event Center at 114 W. Pryor St., to learn more about the role local responders play in preventing and responding to disasters. Free admission and lunch, giveaways , kids activities and equipment demonstrations are included.
Caregiver’s Night Out will be from 6-9 p.m. Friday, Sept. 20, at Friendship United Methodist Church, 16479 Lucas Ferry Road. Make reservations by noon Thursday, Sept, 19, at 256-232-7207.
The Limestone NAACP walk-a-thon is from 7-10 a.m. Saturday, Sept. 21, at the Athens High School track. See any member to make a pledge or donation. The yard sale is from 7 a.m. until 3 p.m. at the corner of Hine Street and U.S. 72 West at T&T Groceries. Funds raised support scholarship program and branch operations. Contact: Greg Orr 256-654-0486.
Two pounds of pinto beans and 3 pounds of rice will be given away to anyone in need and until supplies last from 9-11 a.m. Saturday, Sept. 21, at St. Timothy’s Episcopal Church, 207 E. Washington St. in Athens. No questions asked, no names taken.
4 Paws and a Book
A program dedicated to improving reading skills of children ages 5 and older, called 4 Paws and a Book will be held from 9-10:30 a.m. Saturday, Sept. 21, at the Houston Memorial Library in Athens. Children can bring their own book or read a favorite of Miss Sophie Grey, a Yorkshire terrier, who will be present for the program. To schedule a time to read, call the library at 256-233-8770.
Author visit/football party
Athens-Limestone Public Library will host author Sherri Graves Smith from noon until 2 p.m. Saturday, Sept. 21. The free event includes a football party honoring Mrs. Smith, complete with snacks, games, crafts and stories. Smith will read, sign autographs, and have books for sale at $14.95 each plus tax. All ages welcome and encouraged to wear their team colors. More information: 256-232-1233.
• NAACP. The Limestone County NAACP general membership meeting will be held at 7:30 p.m. Monday, Sept. 16, at the Athens Chamber of Commerce, 101 Beaty St. Public welcome. Contact: Wilbert Woodruff 256-227-8489.
• Partners in Pink. Partners in Pink Breast Cancer Support Group will meet at 6 p.m. Tuesday, Sept. 17, at the Athens-Limestone Hospital education room. Dr. Daley and Dr. Lang with HealthSource of Athens will give a presentation on nutrition. Contact: Tammy Woodward 256-206-6052.
• VFW. VFW and Ladies Auxiliary will meet at 6 p.m. Tuesday, Sept. 17, at the post home on North Jefferson Street. Contact: 256-233-0213.
• Cowart PTO. Cowart Elementary School will have a PTO meeting and open house beginning at 6 p.m. Tuesday, Sept. 17.
• Republicans. The Limestone County Republican Party will hold its monthly meeting Tuesday, Sept. 17, at 306 Barbecue on U.S. 72 in Athens. Social hour from 6-7 p.m. Executive committee meeting at 7. Public invited.
• ALSO. The Athens-Limestone Seniors Organization will hold a members-only meeting at 10:30 a.m. Thursday, Sept. 19, at Athens Rehabilitation and Senior Care on Market Street.
• AMVETS. Mims-Russell American Veterans Memorial Post 21 will meet at 6 p.m. Thursday, Sept. 19, at 22769 Black Road in Athens. Potluck dinner at 6 p.m. Meeting begins at 7. www.amvetspost21.org.
• Republican Women. The Limestone Republican Women will meet Thursday, Sept. 19, at HF Grill on U.S. 72. Dinner at 5:45 p.m., meeting at 6:30. Guest speaker is Heather Beshears.
• SCV. The Capt. Thomas H. Hobbs Camp 768 Sons of Confederate Veterans will meet at 6 p.m. Thursday, Sept. 19, at the Alabama Veterans Museum and Archives. Limestone County Archivist Rebekah Davis will speak on how to look up your ancestors. The public is invited.
• Positive Look. The Positive Look support group for the blind and visually impaired, family and friends will meet from 10 a.m. until noon Friday, Sept. 20, at the Athens Recreation Center. Athens Dulcimers will play. Contact: Wynell Reynolds 256-232-1493.
• Democrats. The Limestone County Democrats will meet at 9 a.m. Saturday, Sept. 21, at the home of Judy Wilson, 15380 Spring Lake Drive in Athens. Light refreshments. Public is invited.
Limestone Ledger is a list of events hosted by nonprofit organizations. Items must be submitted in writing and are listed up to six days to include the day of the event. Email submissions to firstname.lastname@example.org, fax to 256-233-7753 or bring to The News Courier, 410 W. Green St., Athens, AL 35611.