The News Courier
AARP safe driving class
The Council on Aging is hosting an AARP safe driving class from 9 a.m. until 1 p.m. Thursday, Aug. 15, at the Athens Senior Center on Pryor Street. AARP members pay $12, non-members pay $14. More information or to RSVP: Emily 256-233-6412.
The Haley Humphrey “Blood Stock” Scholarship blood drive will be held from 2-7 p.m. Friday, Aug. 16, at the New Life Assembly of God Family Life Center at 16768 U.S. 72 West in Athens.
A boating course for anyone age 12 and older, with or without boat experience, will begin at 8:30 a.m. Saturday, Aug. 17, at Saint Matthew’s Episcopal Church on Hughes Road in Madison. There is a $30 fee to cover cost of materials. Contact: 256-679-4654.
4 Paws and a Book
A program dedicated to improving reading skills of children ages 5 and older, called 4 Paws and a Book will be held from 9-10:30 a.m. Saturday, Aug. 17, at the Houston Memorial Library in Athens. Children can bring their own book or read a favorite of Miss Sophie Grey, a Yorkshire terrier, who will be present for the program. To schedule a time to read, call the library at 256-233-8770.
A reunion of descendants of John R. and Caroline Phillips Mitchell will meet at 10:45 a.m. Saturday, Aug. 17, at the First Baptist Church fellowship hall, 6620 U.S. 72 in Center Star.
Bring covered dish to share at noon. Contact: Roberta Mitchell Sweetland at 256-232-0649 or email@example.com.
Spaghetti Dinner fundraiser for Vietnam Veterans of America will be from 5-8 p.m. Monday, Aug 19, at the Vietnam Veterans building on West Elm Street. All you can eat, for $6, which includes spaghetti, bread, salad, drink and dessert. Contact: Roxanne Haggermaker 256-206-6702
Fairy tales, fables at library
The Athens-Limestone Public Library, in partnership with Girl Scouts, will host a series of free programs about fairy tales and fables from 2-3 p.m. on Aug. 15. Programs are geared toward girls ages 12 and under, but boys are welcome.
Beginning Bookworms Preschool registration
Registration is underway for Beginning Bookworms Preschool at Athens-Limestone Public Library. The program meets Thursday mornings from 10:15-11:15 beginning Aug. 29. The class is for children in Athens and Limestone County; children must be 4 years old by Sept. 1. The fee is $15 at registration and $15 in January. Contact: Kelli at 256-233-1233.
Athens High schedules
Athens High School freshmen and new students orientation and class schedule pickup is at 6 p.m. Thursday, Aug. 15, in the school gymnasium. Other remaining class schedule pickups for 2013-2014 year are: Juniors, 9-11 a.m., Wednesday, Aug. 14; sophomores, 1-3 p.m., Wednesday, Aug. 14, in the library. First day of school is Monday, Aug. 19.
West Limestone schedules
Children in grades first through sixth will have an open house from 6-7:30 p.m. Aug 15.
After school program
The David’s Temple after school (3-5 p.m.) program to help students in grades 1-12 in Athens and Limestone County with homework and study skills resumes Aug. 19. More information: Geraldine McDonald 256-355-1343.
• ALSO. The Athens-Limestone Seniors Organization will meet and have a Dutch-treat lunch at 11 a.m. Thursday, Aug. 15, at Mac’s Steakhouse on Jefferson Street. Speaker is Delores Thompson with Council on Aging. The public is invited.
• Republican Women. The Limestone Republican Women will meet Thursday, Aug. 15, at HG Grill on U.S. 72 in Athens. Dinner at 5:45 p.m., meeting at 6:30. Guest speakers are Cory Elrod and Clint Wood with Limestone Young Republicans. The public is invited.
• AMVETS. American Veterans will meet Thursday, Aug. 15, at Mims-Russell AMVETS Memorial Post 21, 22769 Black Road in Athens. Potluck dinner at 6 p.m., meeting at 7.
• SCV. The Capt. Thomas H. Hobbs Camp 768 Sons of Confederate Veterans will meet at 6 p.m. Thursday, Aug. 15, at the Alabama Veterans Museum and Archives. Tennessee Division SCV member Gene Andrews will speak on Gen. Nathan B. Forrest. The public is invited.
• Positive Look. The Positive Look support group for the blind and visually impaired, family and friends will meet from 10 a.m. until noon Friday, Aug. 16, at the Athens Recreation Center. Guest speaker is Charley Hughes. Contact: Wynell Reynolds 256-232-1493.
• Farmers Federation. The Limestone County Farmers Federation Annual Meeting and barbecue dinner will be at 6 p.m. Friday, Aug. 16, at the Veterans Museum on Pryor Street. Includes last year’s business, board members election. Door prizes. All ALFA members invited. Contact: Paul Looney 256-232-1391.
• Partners in Pink. Partners in Pink Breast Cancer Support Group will meet at 6 p.m. Tuesday, Aug. 20, at the Athens-Limestone Hospital education room. Guest speaker Eddie Falconberry of The Falcon’s Nest will discuss skin care for the cancer patient. Contact: Tammy Woodward 256-206-6052.
• VFW. Veterans of Foreign Wars and Ladies Auxiliary will gather for snacks, fellowship and the monthly meeting at 6 p.m. Tuesday, Aug. 20, at the Post, 4765 N. Jefferson St. Contact: Fred 256-233-0213.
Limestone Ledger is a list of events hosted by nonprofit organizations. Items must be submitted in writing and are listed up to six days to include the day of the event. Email submissions to firstname.lastname@example.org, fax to 256-233-7753 or bring to The News Courier, 410 W. Green St., Athens, AL 35611.