Catching Fire party
The Athens-Limestone Public Library will host a Catching Fire ball from 6-8 tonight. Teens and older only. Participants are asked to dress in their finest ball attire and take part in games, trivia, snacks, crafts and costume contests. Costume contest winners receive prizes, including movie passes. The event is sponsored by Cinemagic Movie Theatre. More information: Contact the library at 256-232-1233.
Thanksgiving dinner fundraiser
The Limestone County Young Republicans will host a Thanksgiving Dinner from 5:30- 8:30 tonight to assist with its canned food drive. It will be at Oak Grove Clubhouse,26096 Thach Road. The price of the meal is five canned goods or $7 a plate for adults and $5 for kids 10 and under. Proceeds go to the Athens food bank.
Chicken stew-turkey shoot
Athens Masonic Lodge 16 will sell chicken stew and conduct a turkey shoot on Saturday at the corner of Elm Street and Lucas Ferry. The stew will be ready for pickup at 10 a.m. and costs $18 per gallon. Buyers should bring their own container. The turkey shoot will begin at 9 a.m. and shots will be $3 each. A 9- to 11-pound turkey will be awarded after each series. Shooters under age 16 must be accompanied by an adult. Shooting will go on rain or shine. More information: Bob Hickman 256-233-2336 or Mickey Robertson 256-232-2335.
King’s Table Thanksgiving dinner
New Life Church will have its annual "King's Table" Thanksgiving Dinner 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. Saturday. Dinner is free to the public. No delivery. Call 256-233-7228. New Life is at 2314 South Hine St.
Jewelry sale fundraiser
A $5 jewelry and accessories sale will be held from 7 a.m. until 7 p.m. Monday and 7 a.m. until 4 p.m. Tuesday at the Athens-Limestone Hospital Education Department. Proceeds benefit the hospital’s auxiliary scholarship fund.
The Tanner High School blood drive is from 8:30 a.m. until 1:30 p.m. Monday in the gym lobby. All 16-year-old donors must bring a signed parental/legal guardian consent form. Photo ID or American Red Cross donor card also required.
Used book sale
The Friends of the Athens-Limestone Public Library will hold a used book sale from 10 a.m. until 4 p.m. Tuesday at the library, 405 E. South St. More information: 256-232-1233.
Athens Christmas Parade
The 10th annual Reliance Bank Christmas Parade is Dec. 5, with a 6 p.m. start at Athens High School on U.S. 31. Float lineup begins at 3:15. The theme is A Storybook Christmas. The parade goes west along Hobbs Street, winds around the Courthouse, travels down Jefferson Street and ends at Hometown Grocery.
Rogersville Christmas Parade
The Rogersville Kiwanis Christmas Parade is at 5:30 p.m. Dec. 7. The theme is Holiday’s for Heroes and welcomes all veterans active or retired to participate. For more information visit rogersvillealabama.com.
Houston Library hours change
Houston Memorial Library will be closed Mondays beginning Dec. 2. Hours will be 10 a.m.-5 p.m. Tuesdays through Fridays and 9 a.m.-noon Saturdays.
A shoot will be held from noon until 3 p.m. every Saturday through Dec. 7 at the Vietnam Veterans Building,17915 W. Elm St. Win a turkey or ham.Contacts: Bill Schueler 256-233-5549 or Jesse McCune 256-232-0029.
The monthly American Legion Post 49 chicken stew will not be served in November. More information: Rod Huffman 256-233-3023.
• ALSO. Athens-Limestone Seniors Organization will meet at 11 a.m. Nov. 21 at Athens Senior Center on Pryor Street to wrap Christman gifts for Birdie Thornton clients. Members are asked to bring scissors and Scotch tape.
• Republican Women. The Limestone Republican Women will meet Nov. 21 at the HG Grill on U.S. 72. Meal at 5:45 p.m., meeting at 6:30. Special guest speaker is state Sen. Arthur Orr, R-Decatur. Everyone is invited.
• Tea Party Patriots. The Athens/Limestone Tea Party Patriots will meet at 6:30 p.m. Nov. 21 at 100 Beaty St. The public is invited. More information: 256-777-2526.
• AMVETS. American Veterans monthly meeting is Nov. 21 at 22769 Black Road in Athens. Fellowship and covered dish dinner at 6 p.m., meeting at 7. All veterans are welcome. Contact: Lyle Sadler 256-771-2029.
• SCV. The Capt. Thomas H. Hobbs Camp 768 Sons of Confederate Veterans will meet at 6 p.m. Nov. 21 at the Alabama Veterans Museum. Cathy Gordon Wood, president of Giles Co. UDC, will speak on “Horses of the Confederacy.” Public invited.
• Athens Forge. How to forge a tomahawk, Danny Galean’s homemade deer chili and a brainstorming session for 2014 ideas are on the agenda for the Athens Forge meeting at 10 a.m. Nov. 23 at Travis Flemings Artistic Anvil Forge, 208 Commercial Drive. More information: 256-230-2900.
• Narcotics Anonymous. The Courage to Change Narcotics Anonymous closed meetings are ongoing and held at 6:30 p.m. on Mondays and Thursdays. Open meeting is held at 6:30 on Fridays. All are at 11309 Ripley Road in Athens. Contact:Michael 256-962-1831.
Limestone Ledger is a list of events hosted by nonprofit organizations. Items must be submitted in writing and are listed up to six days to include the day of the event. Email submissions to email@example.com, fax to 256-233-7753 or bring to The News Courier, 410 W. Green St., Athens, AL 35611.