The News Courier
Optimist pancake breakfast
The annual Athens Optimist Club Community Youth Benefit Pancake Breakfast will be held from 7-11 a.m. today in the basement of First Christian Church at the corner of Market and Madison streets. All you can eat breakfast for $5 includes pancakes, sausage, milk, juice and coffee. Takeouts available. Proceeds will fund youth projects in Limestone County. Contact: Jim Miner 256-232-7977 or 777-7937.
Boy Scout pancake breakfast
Boy Scout Troop 7236 is hosting a pancake breakfast fundraiser from 8-10 a.m. today at Applebee’s on U.S. 72 in Athens. Breakfast includes pancakes, sausage and a drink for $5.
Free chicken stew with a drink and dessert will be available at 6:30 p.m. Sunday at Emmanuel Church of God in Christ, 503 Hine St. All you can eat. Dine in only. Majestic Chapel, Mighty Warrior Church and Seven Mile Post Road Church of Christ will be serving. Anyone wishing to help can contact Jo Brown 256-278-0855.
Town hall meeting
U.S. Rep. Mo Brooks will host a town hall meeting at 7 p.m. Monday at the Athens Board of Education, 455 U.S. 31 North.
Preservation public meeting
The Muscle Shoals National Heritage Area will hold a public meeting at 6 p.m. Tuesday in Decatur to seek opinions and input from Limestone County residents about preservation and enhancement efforts here and in five area counties. The meeting will be at the Turner-Surles Community Center at 702 Sycamore St.
Lunch & Learn
Bring you lunch or pick up a snack at UnderGrounds Coffee Shop in the Center for Lifelong Learning Center, 121 S. Marion St., Wednesdays from Jan. 30 to Feb. 20, to learn about lifestyle changes and weight management in a four-week series. Call 256-233-8260 to register or visit www.athens.edu/CLL.
Spirit of Athens is hosting its annual Spirit Awards Luncheon at 11:30 a.m. Thursday at the Rodgers Center of First Presbyterian Church. Tickets are $25 and can be purchased at the SOA blog: athensspirit.blogspot.com or call 256.729.1160.
Square dance sessions
Shirts & Skirts Dance Club of Athens is offering a free introduction to square dance session at 6:30 p.m. Thursday, Jan. 31, at Athens Recreation Center. Contact: 256-232-5970.
Elkmont beauty walk
Registration is underway through Feb. 26 for the eighth annual Elkmont High School band beauty walk to be held March 8-9. Preschoolers outside the Elkmont school district can enter. Forms available at the school office or website. Contacts: Keila Berzett 256-423-3972, 256-423-5754 or Debbie Evans 256-497-3111.
Volunteers are needed at all Limestone County senior centers to teach new classes in painting, drawing, crochet/knitting, needlepoint, ceramics and scrapbooking. Contact: Jennifer W. Reece 256-233-6412.
Pickin’ & Grinnin’
The Elkmont Pickin’ & Grinnin’ is held at 6:30 p.m. Mondays at the Elkmont Depot downtown. Live music and dancing. Call 931-427-6296.
Tickets for The Bretts
Tickets for the Feb. 1 Athens-Limestone Hospital Foundation fundraiser starring Branson, Mo., headliners, The Bretts, are on sale now at First National Banks at Athens and Ardmore, by calling 256-233-9236, or visiting athenslimestonehospital.com. Pre-sold tickets for both the noon and 4 p.m. shows are $35 each; at the door, $45; 13 and under, $15; children under 2 admitted free.
Rescue Squad yard sale
Donations are being accepted for the Athens-Limestone Rescue Squad yard sale. The event date will be announced later. The squad office is on Freeman Drive. Contact: 256-434-6355.
Senior centers activities
Limestone County senior centers participants age 60 and above interested in classes for yoga, Zumba Gold or both up to three afternoons a week are asked to contact Jennifer Reece at 256-233-6412 or Jennifer.email@example.com.
• NARFE. National Active and Retired Federal Employees chapter 1480 will meet at 9 a.m. today, Jan. 26, at the Veterans Museum on Pryor Street in Athens. Guest speaker will be Lisa Norris with Chick-fil-A. Breakfast served. Call Dean Morgan 256-233-0248.
• Athens Forge. Athens Blacksmith Forge will meet at 10 a.m. today, Jan. 26, at Travis Flemings Artistic Anvil Forge on Commercial Drive in Athens. Visitors welcome. Al Stephens will demonstrate how to make tongs. Contact: John Guenther 256-431-3862 or 256-230-2900.
• City Council. Athens City Council members will meet at 4:30 p.m. Monday, Jan. 28, for a work session followed by their regular meeting at 5:30 in the municipal courtroom of the Police Department at 951 E. Hobbs St.
• Alzheimer’s support. Athens Alzheimer’s Support Group will meet at 6 p.m. Monday, Jan. 28, at the Athens Senior Center on Pryor Street. Anyone caring for a loved one is welcome. Contact: Sharon Griffis 256-874-0888.
• Soil and Water. The Limestone County Soil and Water Conservation District Board of Supervisors will meet at 7:30 a.m. Tuesday, Jan. 29, at the Natural Resources Conservation Service Office, 1795 U.S. 72 East, Suite 102. The public is invited.
Limestone Ledger is a list of events hosted by nonprofit organizations. Items must be submitted in writing and are listed up to six days to include the day of the event. Mail or bring submissions to The News Courier, 410 W. Green St., Athens, AL 35611; email to firstname.lastname@example.org or fax to 256-233-7753.