An American Red Cross blood drive will be held from 7:30 a.m. until 3 p.m. Wednesday, April 10, at the Athens High School old gymnasium, 100 U.S. 31 North. Each donor receives a T-shirt.
Chopper the Dog at library
The Athens-Limestone Public Library will host Chopper the dog, author of two books, and his owner Amanda Steedley at 10:15 a.m. Thursday. Chopper is an up-and-coming children’s book author. Chopper and Mrs. Steedley will give a talk and sign autographs. Chopper’s books will be available for $13 each. The event is free to the public. Information: Visit www.alcpl.org or call 256-232-1233.
Caregiver’s Night Out will be from 6-9 p.m. Friday at Clements Baptist Church, 8690 U.S. 72 West. Make reservations by noon Thursday, April 11, at 256-232-7207.
The Limestone County NAACP invites children ages 3-13 to attend the free Steps Book Club/Reading Program session at 9:30 a.m. Saturday at Round Island Creek Mission Center, 13829 Lucas Ferry Road. Learning, lunch and fun provided. Registration and information contact: 256-216-5668.
Keith Dunnavant event
The Giles County Literary Club will host Athens native and author Keith Dunnavant from 2-4 p.m. Saturday at the Staar Theater, on Main Street across from the courthouse, in Pulaski, Tenn. He will discuss his soon to be released book, his books on football and sign books. Open to the public. Light refreshments served. Contact: JoAnne Beam 931-565-3535.
Rodeo queen applications
Applications are available at the Limestone County Sheriff’s Office, online at www.limestonesheriffrodeo.com, and at Preston’s Western Wear on U.S. 72 East for the 31st annual Limestone Sheriff’s Rodeo Queen Pageant. Entry deadline is Friday, April 12, for ages 3-15 and Friday, May 3, for ages 16-26. Contact: Jennifer at 256-232-0111.
Garden club scholarship
The deadline for submitting applications for the Athens Garden Club $1,000 scholarship is April 12. Applications for graduating high school seniors are available at any Limestone County high school counselor’s office. Information: AthensGardenClub@live.com.
East beauty walk
The 2013 Miss East Limestone Beauty Walk entry forms are available online at www.eastlimestonehigh.org and in the front offices of East Limestone High and Creekside Elementary. The walk will be held at 6 p.m. Saturday, April 20, in the old gym for ages kindergarten through 12th grade who attend East high school, middle school or Creekside.
Contact: Susie Lindau, firstname.lastname@example.org ,or Jennifer Janzen, email@example.com.
Vidalia onions deadline
April 12 is the deadline to order Vidalia onions from Athens Ladies Civitan. Ten pounds for $10. Call 256-729-1255 or 256-232-2865 or send order, name, address, phone number, and payment to P.O. Box 1814, Athens, AL 35612.
The Athens State University 2013 Senior Art Exhibition “Hanging the Artists” is on view through April 11 at Alabama Center for the Arts, 133 Second Ave. NE in Decatur. An artist reception will be held from 7-9 p.m. Friday, April 5.
• Preservation. Athens Historic Preservation Commission will meet at 6 p.m. Tuesday, April 9, at the Public Works Department, 1600 W. Elm St.
• Republicans. The Limestone County Republican Executive Committee will meet Tuesday, April 9, at LuVici’s Restaurant in Athens. Social time begins at 5:30 p.m.; meeting begins at 6:30. Guest speaker is Harold Sachs, vice chairman of the Alabama 4th and 5th Districts.
• Cancer Support Group. An encouragement, support and friendship meeting of the Cancer Support Group will be at 6 p.m. Tuesday, April 9, at Shoney’s on U.S. 72. Contact: 256-232-4211.
• DAV. The Disabled American Veterans monthly meeting will be held Tuesday, April 9, at the DAV at 25396 Airport Road in Athens. Food and fellowship at 6 p.m. and meeting at 7. Contact: Danny Gilliam 256-771-3225.
• Democrats. The Limestone County Democrats will meet at 6 p.m. on Thursday, April 11, at the Sheriff's Rodeo Arena. The meal is a pot luck dinner. The speaker is Leanne Townsend, field organizing director for the Alabama Democratic Party. The public is invited.
• Beekeepers. Limestone County Beekeepers Assoc. will meet at 6 p.m. Thursday, April 11, at the Limestone County Water Authority building on U.S. 72 in Athens. Beginners are welcome. Contact: 256-232-9073.
• ALERA. Athens-Limestone Education Retirees Association will meet at 9:30 a.m. Friday, April 12, at Athens Recreation Center near AHS stadium. Program includes memorial service for deceased retirees and presentation on “depression glass.” Contact: Jerry George 256-729-1145.
• NSDAR. John Wade Keyes chapter of the National Society of the Daughters of the American Revolution will meet at 9:30 a.m. Saturday, April 13, at First Presbyterian Church. Junior American Citizens and JROTC awards will be presented. Contact: Judy Rew 256-230-2105 or Doris Estes 256-232-8733.
Limestone Ledger is a list of events hosted by nonprofit organizations. Items must be submitted in writing and are listed up to six days to include the day of the event. Mail or bring submissions to The News Courier, 410 W. Green St., Athens, AL 35611; email to firstname.lastname@example.org or fax to 256-233-7753.