The News Courier
An American Red Cross blood drive will be held from 7:30 a.m. until 3 p.m. today at the Athens High School old gymnasium, 100 U.S. 31 North. Each donor receives a T-shirt.
Chopper the Dog at library
The Athens-Limestone Public Library will host Chopper the dog, author of two books, and his owner Amanda Steedley at 10:15 a.m. Thursday. Chopper is an up-and-coming children’s book author. Chopper and Mrs. Steedley will give a talk and sign autographs. Chopper’s books will be available for $13 each. The event is free to the public. Information: Visit www.alcpl.org or call 256-232-1233.
Caregiver’s Night Out will be from 6-9 p.m. Friday at Clements Baptist Church, 8690 U.S. 72 West. Make reservations by noon Thursday, April 11, at 256-232-7207.
Walk for Autism
The Walk for Autism is at 8:30 a.m. Saturday at Athens High School. A $30 registration fee includes a T-shirt. There is a 2-mile walk and other activities for kids and families. Register at www.walkforautismal.com.
The Limestone County NAACP invites children ages 3-13 to attend the free Steps Book Club/Reading Program session at 9:30 a.m. Saturday at Round Island Creek Mission Center, 13829 Lucas Ferry Road. Learning, lunch and fun provided. Registration and information contact: 256-216-5668.
Elkmont Bean Day
A $5 meal of beans and cornbread with trimmings, dessert and drink will be available on Bean Day from 10:30 a.m. until 2 p.m. Saturday at the Elkmont Fire Department. Meal is $3 for children age 8 and under. Event includes live entertainment and door prizes.
Keith Dunnavant event
The Giles County Literary Club will host Athens native and author Keith Dunnavant from 2-4 p.m. Saturday at the Staar Theater, on Main Street across from the courthouse, in Pulaski, Tenn. He will discuss his soon to be released book, his books on football and sign books. Open to the public. Light refreshments served. Contact: JoAnne Beam 931-565-3535.
Library applications due
Summer library page applications are due Saturday at Athens-Limestone Public Library. Teen summer volunteer s must be at least age 13 and have completed seventh grade by June 1. Applications available at the library and at www.alcpl.org .
• Evans Cemetery. Anyone with vases or other items at Evans Cemetery are being asked to remove them by April 15 for the beginning of mowing season.
Rodeo queen applications
Applications are available at the Limestone County Sheriff’s Office, online at www.limestonesheriffrodeo.com, and at Preston’s Western Wear on U.S. 72 East for the 31st annual Limestone Sheriff’s Rodeo Queen Pageant. Entry deadline is Friday, April 12, for ages 3-15 and Friday, May 3, for ages 16-26. Contact: Jennifer at 256-232-0111.
Garden club scholarship
The deadline for submitting applications for the Athens Garden Club $1,000 scholarship is April 12. Applications for graduating high school seniors are available at any Limestone County high school counselor’s office. Information: AthensGardenClub@live.com.
Vidalia onions deadline
April 12 is the deadline to order Vidalia onions from Athens Ladies Civitan. Ten pounds for $10. Call 256-729-1255 or 256-232-2865 or send order, name, address, phone number, and payment to P.O. Box 1814, Athens, AL 35612.
Miss Tanner Rattlers entries
April 15 is the deadline to enter the Miss Tanner Rattlers 2013 Pageant to be held at 5:30 p.m. Saturday, April 27, in the high school gymnasium. There is a $30 entry free. Forms available at the high school. Open divisions are birth-age 2 and 3-5 years. K-12th grade entrants must be Tanner High students. Contacts: Sandra Moore 256-233-6682, ext. 385 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
East beauty walk
The 2013 Miss East Limestone Beauty Walk entry forms are available online at www.eastlimestonehigh.org and in the front offices of East Limestone High and Creekside Elementary. The walk will be held at 6 p.m. Saturday, April 20, in the old gym for ages kindergarten through 12th grade who attend East high school, middle school or Creekside.
Contact: Susie Lindau, email@example.com, or Jennifer Janzen, firstname.lastname@example.org.
Veterans Museum fish fry
Advance tickets are available for the Alabama Veterans Museum and Archives annual fish fry to be held from 11 a.m. until 1 p.m. Friday, April 26 at Emmanuel Baptist Church, 1917 U.S. 72 West in Athens. Tickets are $10 in advance and $12 at the door. Available at the museum, 100 W. Pryor Street.
• Democrats. The Limestone County Democrats will meet at 6 p.m. Thursday, April 11, at the Sheriff's Rodeo Arena. The meal is a pot luck dinner. The speaker is Leanne Townsend, field organizing director for the Alabama Democratic Party. The public is invited.
• Beekeepers. Limestone County Beekeepers Assoc. will meet at 6 p.m. Thursday, April 11, at the Limestone County Water Authority building on U.S. 72 in Athens. Beginners are welcome. Contact: 256-232-9073.
• ALERA. Athens-Limestone Education Retirees Association will meet at 9:30 a.m. Friday, April 12, at Athens Recreation Center near AHS stadium. Program includes memorial service for deceased retirees and presentation on “depression glass.” Contact: Jerry George 256-729-1145.
• NSDAR. John Wade Keyes chapter of the National Society of the Daughters of the American Revolution will meet at 9:30 a.m. Saturday, April 13, at First Presbyterian Church. Junior American Citizens and JROTC awards will be presented. Contact: Judy Rew 256-230-2105 or Doris Estes 256-232-8733.
• ALCA. Athens-Limestone Community Association will meet at 5:30 p.m. Monday, April 15, at Village View United Methodist Church, 331 S. Hine St. Purpose is to discuss a grant to fund a Trinity Community Center on the historic Trinity High School/Fort Henderson property on Brownsferry Street. Friends, graduates and supporters are welcome.
• VFW. Veterans of Foreign Wars and Ladies Auxiliary will gather for dinner, fellowship and the monthly meeting at 6 p.m. Tuesday, April 16, at the Post, 4765 N. Jefferson St. Includes new officers election. Contact: Fred 256-233-0213.
Limestone Ledger is a list of events hosted by nonprofit organizations. Items must be submitted in writing and are listed up to six days to include the day of the event. Mail or bring submissions to The News Courier, 410 W. Green St., Athens, AL 35611; email to email@example.com or fax to 256-233-7753.