The News Courier
Prospect Cemetery Association
The fall meeting of the Prospect Cemetery Association will be at 2 p.m. today, Oct. 6, at the Prospect, Tenn., Rescue Squad building. More information: Charlie Crosby 256-216-5840.
The Reyer family reunion will be today, Oct. 6, in the First National Bank community room, 26599 Main St., Ardmore. A covered dish lunch will be at 1 p.m. More information: 256-423-3537.
The first annual Gospel Explosion sponsored by Believe to Achieve will be at 5 p.m. today, Oct. 6, at the Vietnam Veterans of America building, 17915 W. Elm St., Athens. Ticket and dinner information: Shenequa Phipps 256-874-7457 or Shamone Freeman 256-559-9390.
Salvation Army will take applications for Christmas assistance from 9 a.m.-noon Monday, Oct. 7, through Friday, Oct. 11, at the thrift store at 699 E. Hobbs St. in Athens. Bring proof of identification, all bills, telephone number, verification of income. No applications will be taken over the phone; no children are allowed at application day.
Used book sale
The Friends of Athens-Limestone Public Library will hold a used book sale from 10 a.m. until 4 p.m. Tuesday, Oct. 8, at the library at 405 E. South St. Contact: 256-232-1233.
Crisis services will have its annual candlelight vigil for victims of domestic violence at 6 p.m., Tuesday, Oct. 8, on the east side of the Courthouse Square. Rain location is the Big Spring Park pavilion. Contact: Christa 256-232-0280.
Caregiver’s Night Out will be from 6-9 p.m. Friday, Oct. 11, at Clements Baptist Church, 8690 U.S. 72 West. Make reservations by noon Thursday, Oct. 10, at 256-232-7207.
Cowart Harvest Festival
The festival, from 4-7 p.m. Saturday, Oct. 12, is a PTO fundraiser for Cowart Elementary School. It includes numerous carnival style games, bingo, silent auction, food and fun. Armbands for unlimited game play are $10. Tickets are 50 cents each, one ticket needed per game.
Athens Fire Auxiliary tournament
The Athens Fire and Rescue Auxiliary Golf Tournament will be Oct. 17 at Canebrake Club. Activities begin with 11:30 a.m. lunch, followed by 12:45 p.m. rules meeting, and shotgun start at 1 p.m. Cost is $400 per four-person team; Mulligan package is $20 per player. Proceeds go to support local charities, including Shop With a Firefighter at Christmas. To register or sponsor: Chris Gillman 256-874-5638 or David Andrews 256-431-1585.
Haunts Walk tickets
Athens-Limestone County Tourism office has a few tickets left for the Haunts Walk on Oct. 8 and 15. There are two tours, 6:30 p.m. and 7. Tickets for all ages are $5 each. Tours last 1 1/2 to 2 hours and leave from the Visitor Center’s meeting room side-door at 100 N. Beaty Street. Tickets are not sold at the tours, so call ahead to 256-232-5411 or email info@VisitAthensAl.com . Cash or Check only.
• Cancer Survivors. Cancer Survivors Support Group will meet for dinner at 6 p.m. Tuesday, Oct. 8, at Shoney’s on U.S. 72.
• DAV. The Disabled American Veterans monthly meeting will be held Tuesday, Oct. 8, at the DAV, 25396 Airport Road off Alabama 127 in Athens. Food and fellowship at 6 p.m. and business meeting at 7.
• Garden Club. Athens Garden Club members and guests will meet Wednesday, Oct. 9, at the Tanner Baptist Church. Carole Barron, president of Limestone County Master Gardeners will present “How to Become a Master Gardener.” Social at 9 a.m. Meeting at 9:30.
• ALERA. Athens-Limestone Education Retirees Association will meet at 9:30 a.m. Friday, Oct. 11, at Athens Recreation Center at U.S. 31 and Alabama 251. All retirees of Athens and Limestone County school systems are invited. Wellness screening and flu shots will be offered free for PEEHIP or Southland card holders. Contact: Jerry George 256-729-1145.
• NSDAR. John Wade Keyes chapter of the National Society of the Daughters of the American Revolution will meet at 9:30 a.m. Saturday, Oct. 12, at First Presbyterian Church Rodgers Center. Contacts: Judy Rew 256-230-2105 or Brenda Winter 256-771-3636.
• Tremor support. The North Alabama Essential Tremor Support Group will meet 2-4 p.m. Saturday, Oct. 12, at Madison Wellness Center, 8391 U.S. 72 in Madison. The topic is Educating the Public. Essential tremor is a neurological condition that affects an estimated 10 million Americans.
• City Council. Athens City Council members will meet at 5:30 p.m. Monday, Oct. 14, in the municipal courtroom of the Athens Police Department on Hobbs Street. Work session begins at 4:30 p.m.
Limestone Ledger is a list of events hosted by nonprofit organizations. Items must be submitted in writing and are listed up to six days to include the day of the event. Email submissions to firstname.lastname@example.org, fax to 256-233-7753 or bring to The News Courier, 410 W. Green St., Athens, AL 35611.