The News Courier
Athens-Limestone Education Retirees Association members making the trip to the Jesse Owens Memorial and Stone Bridge will meet at 8:45 a.m. Thursday in the Kmart parking lot on U.S. 31. Contact: Jerry George 256-729-1145.
Clements veterans program
Clements High School is asking the community to join them to honor veterans of Limestone County at 9 a.m. Thursday in the school gymnasium. All Limestone County veterans are invited.
Tanner veterans program
Tanner High School Student Council will hold its annual Veterans Day program Thursday in the school gymnasium. Breakfast served in the library at 8:15 a.m. Program begins at 9. All Limestone County veterans are invited.
Toys for Tots registration
Thursday from 9 a.m. until noon and again from 1-4 p.m. at United Way, 419 S. Marion St. in Athens, are the final opportunities to sign up for Toys for Tots in 2013. Children must be 12 or under. Parents or guardians must bring proof of income, proof of residency, adult ID, and birth certificates and Social Security cards of children.
Kids fitness classes
New Savvy Kids Fitness classes for ages 6-12 will begin at 4 p.m. Thursday at the Athens Recreation Center. Classes include nutrition education and exercise. Zumba in the blacklights is at 5:15 p.m. and yoga at 6. Contact the center for details.
Remembrance and Hope service
Hospice of Limestone County and MADD are hosting the annual Celebration of Remembrance and Hope service at 6 p.m. Thursday in Saint Timothy’s Episcopal Church, 207 Washington St. Visitors may bring a photo of a loved one in a stand-up frame. More information: 256-232-5017.
Athens High veterans program
The Athens High School Veterans Day Assembly is at 9:30 a.m. Friday in the south gymnasium. A reception in the JROTC rifle range will follow. All local veterans, their families and the public are invited.
Farmers Market closed
The Limestone County Farmers Market at the corner of West Green and South Houston streets will be closed Friday and not reopen until spring.
Celebrate Abilities Expo featuring resources available to the disability community will be from 9 a.m. until noon Saturday at the Athens State Unviersity Sandridge Student Center. Free to the public. Vendors will showcase products, services and resources. Sponsored by ASU’s Phi Theta Kappa Alumni Assoc.
The Limestone County NAACP motivational reading program for children ages 3-13 will be at 9:30 a.m. Saturday at Round Island Creek Mission Center, 13829 Lucas Ferry Road. Registration information: 256-216-5668.
Free vets’ car wash
Car Wash Express 2 will provide a free car wash on Veterans Day to veterans. The car wash is on U.S. 72 next to Chick-fil-A.
Used book sale
Friends of the Athens-Limestone Public Library will hold a used book sale from 10 a.m. until 4 p.m. Tuesday at the library, 405 E. South St. More information: 256-232-1233.
State of the County
Limestone County Commission Chairman Stanley Menefee will deliver the State of the County address at 11:45 a.m. Nov. 19 in the Sandridge Student Center at Athens State University. Tickets cost $20 per person. A table of four is $100 and recognized sponsorships are available for $250 (Gold) and $150 (Silver). Gold sponsorships receive two tables and silver sponsorships receive one complimentary table. Proceeds benefit the ASU Foundation. Call 256-233-8215.
Historical ornament fundraiser
Christmas ornaments are available for $15 at Osborne’s Jewelers at 622 South Jefferson Street. Limestone County Historical Society chose U.G. White Hardware for this year’s ornament, with proceeds to be used to buy fourth grade history books. Contact: 256-232-2878.
Holiday Tour of Homes
Tickets are now on sale for the Athens Ladies Civitan Holiday Tour of Homes on Dec. 1 featuring six decorated homes with local caterers. Advance tickets cost $15 at Shea Leighs, Pam's Home Furnishings, First National Bank, Pimentos, Class Act Hair & Nail Salon, Crawfords, Pablo's, Smith Infinity-Huntsville, KALB office, or from an Athens Ladies Civitan member. Tickets at the host homes Dec. 1 are $20. More information: 256-233-0258.
Calhoun Fall Concert
The Music Department at Calhoun Community College will conduct its Fall Concert at 7 p.m. Nov. 19 in the Recital Hall of the Fine Arts Building at the college’s Decatur campus. The Calhoun Guitar Ensemble and the Calhoun Chorale will perform. Admission is $5 per person. More information: 256-306-2699 or 256-306-2958.
• AHS Class of ’56. Athens High School Class of 1956 and friends will meet at 11 a.m. today for a Dutch-treat lunch at Fried Tomato Buffet in Ardmore, Tenn. Contact: Don 256-232-3895.
• ALVA. Athens-Limestone Veterans Association will meet at 7 p.m. Thursday at 124 Cloverleaf Drive. Members will vote on by-law changes to expand current membership eligibility.
• American Legion. Post 49 and the Ladies Auxiliary will meet Thursday at the Post home, 124 Cloverleaf Drive. Auxiliary meets at 7 p.m. Post 49 meeting immediately follows the ALVA meeting. Contact: Rod Huffman 256-233-3023.
• Quilt Quild. Athens Dixie Stitchers Quilt Guild will meet Thursday at Friendship Methodist Church on Lucas Ferry Road. Social time begins at 6:30 with meeting to follow. Anyone interested in quilting is invited. More information: 256-233-3113.
• GOP Executive Committee. The Limestone County Republican Executive Committee will hold its monthly meeting at the International House of Pancakes in Athens at 7:30 a.m. Saturday. The guest speaker is state Sen. Bill Holtzclaw, R-Madison.
• Cancer support group. The American Cancer Society support group will meet at 6 p.m. Tuesday at Shoney’s on U.S. 72 for dinner. All survivors and caregivers are invited.
Limestone Ledger is a list of events hosted by nonprofit organizations. Items must be submitted in writing and are listed up to six days to include the day of the event. Email submissions to email@example.com, fax to 256-233-7753 or bring to The News Courier, 410 W. Green St., Athens, AL 35611.