The News Courier
Free car wash for veterans
Car Wash Express 2 will provide a free car wash on Veterans Day to veterans. The car wash is on U.S. 72 next to Chick-fil-A.
Free haircuts for veterans
Customers who come in for a haircut at Great Clips will receive a free haircut card to give to an active/inactive/retired military member, including the National Guard. Military members can also come in on Veterans Day for a free haircut or to pick up a free haircut card to use, with proof of service, any day before Dec. 31, 2013.
Used book sale
Friends of the Athens-Limestone Public Library will hold a used book sale from 10 a.m. until 4 p.m. Tuesday at the library, 405 E. South St. More information: 256-232-1233.
Caregivers Night Out is from 6-9 p.m. Friday at Isom’s Chapel United Methodist Church, 16230 Mooresville Road. Make reservations by noon Thursday at 256-232-7207.
Two pounds of pinto beans and three pounds of rice will be given away to anyone in need and while supplies last from 9-11 a.m. Saturday at Saint Timothy’s Episcopal Church, 207 E. Washington St. in Athens. No questions asked. No names taken.
4 Paws and a Book
4 Paws and a Book, a program to improve the reading skills of children ages 5 and older, will be held from 9-10:30 a.m. Saturday at Houston Memorial Library in Athens. Children can bring their own book or read a favorite of Miss Sophie Grey, a Yorkshire terrier, who will be present for the program. To schedule a time to read, call the library at 256-233-8770.
Athens Housing Authority will conduct a public meeting at 10 a.m. Saturday on the Affordable Health Care Act. The meeting is at Grace Missionary Baptist Church Family Life Center, 549 W. Elm St. A Montgomery representative will be present to address questions and concerns.
Freedom Fund Banquet
The Limestone County branch NAACP is inviting the public to attend its annual Freedom Fund Banquet at 6:30 p.m. Saturday at The Beasley Center, 202 Bryan St. in Athens. Tickets are $35. Event supports scholarship program and other community and youth programs. Semi-formal dress. More information: Greg Orr 256-654-0486.
Historical ornament fundraiser
Christmas ornaments are available for $15 at Osborne’s Jewelers at 622 South Jefferson Street. Limestone County Historical Society chose U.G. White Hardware for this year’s ornament, with proceeds to be used to buy fourth grade history books. Contact: 256-232-2878.
America Recycles Day Yard Sale
A benefit yard sale will be held at the Keep Athens-Limestone Beautiful office at 125 East St. (across from the duck pond) from 7 a.m. to 3 p.m. Nov. 15 and 7 a.m. to 1 p.m. Nov. 16. The items include home décor, collectables and miscellaneous. There will also be information about the Athens-Limestone Recycling Center and Habitat ReStore. More information: 256-233-8728.
State of the County
Limestone County Commission Chairman Stanley Menefee will deliver the State of the County address at 11:45 a.m. Nov. 19 in the Sandridge Student Center at Athens State University. Tickets cost $20 per person. A table of four is $100 and recognized sponsorships are available for $250 (Gold) and $150 (Silver). Gold sponsorships receive two tables and silver sponsorships receive one complimentary table. Proceeds benefit the ASU Foundation. Call 256-233-8215.
Calhoun Fall Concert
The Music Department at Calhoun Community College will conduct its Fall Concert at 7 p.m. Nov. 19 in the Recital Hall of the Fine Arts Building at the college’s Decatur campus. The Calhoun Guitar Ensemble and the Calhoun Chorale will perform. Admission is $5 per person. More information: 256-306-2699 or 256-306-2958.
Donnell House fundraiser
A wine and appetizers, dinner and dessert event will held Nov. 22 to benefit the Donnel House. Tickets are $50 per person. Schedule includes: wine/appetizers, 5-6:30 p.m., 202 E. Washington St; dinner at the Donnell House, two seatings (6 and 7 p.m.); desserts, 7-9 p.m., Athens State University’s Founders Hall. Reservations: Jacque Reeves 256-509-3940.
Holiday Tour of Homes
Tickets are now on sale for the Athens Ladies Civitan Holiday Tour of Homes on Dec. 1 featuring six decorated homes with local caterers. Advance tickets cost $15 at Shea Leighs, Pam's Home Furnishings, First National Bank, Pimentos, Class Act Hair & Nail Salon, Crawfords, Pablo's, Smith Infinity-Huntsville, KALB office, or from an Athens Ladies Civitan member. Tickets at the host homes Dec. 1 are $20. More information: 256-233-0258.
Houston Library hours change
Houston Memorial Library will be closed on Mondays beginning Dec. 2. Hours will be 10 a.m. until 5 p.m. Tuesdays through Fridays and 9 a.m. until noon Saturdays.
• VFW. Veterans of Foreign Wars and Ladies Auxiliary welcome the public to attend their annual Veterans Day chicken stew Nov. 11 at the Post on North Jefferson Street in Athens. Flag raised at 10 a.m. followed by guest speaker Col. Bowers and then stew at 11. Contact: Kevin 256-919-1032.
• Ardmore vets. The Ardmore AL/TN Veterans Club annual Veterans Day dinner is at 10:30 a.m. Nov. 11 at the Ardmore, Tenn. annex behind Pizza Hut. Free chicken stew, drinks and dessert for all and will end when food runs out. More information and directions: 256-874-4821.
• DAV. Disabled American Veterans will meet for fellowship at 6 p.m. and business meeting at 7 Nov. 12 at 25396 Airport Road. Contact: Lyle Sadler 256-771-2029.
• Cancer support group. The American Cancer Society support group will meet at 6 p.m. Nov. 12 at Shoney’s on U.S. 72 for dinner. All survivors and caregivers are invited.
• AGC. Athens Garden Club will meet Nov. 13 at Tanner Baptist Church. Social at 9 a.m., meeting at 9:30.Guest speaker is Natasha McCrary, proprietor, 1818 Farms in Mooresville. Donations collected for Limestone County Church Involved food program. More information: firstname.lastname@example.org.
• NARFE. National Active and Retired Federal Employees chapter 1480 will meet at 9 a.m. Nov. 16 at Alabama Veterans Museum on Pryor Street. Breakfast served. Guest speaker is John Davis, retired intelligence officer and author of “Rainy Street Stories.” Contact: Dean Morgan 256-233-0248.
Limestone Ledger is a list of events hosted by nonprofit organizations. Items must be submitted in writing and are listed up to six days to include the day of the event. Email submissions to email@example.com, fax to 256-233-7753 or bring to The News Courier, 410 W. Green St., Athens, AL 35611.