The American Legion Post 49 chicken stew is from 10 a.m. until 1 p.m. today. Cost is $5 to eat in or for per quart carryouts. Containers provided. No sides with carryouts. Reserve carryouts: 256-230-6233. More information: Bob Borden 256-509-1306.
‘Mystery of the Trees’
Limestone County Historical Society is hosting a Mountain Stewards presentation of “Mystery of the Trees,” a story of curiously bent trees believed to be used by Indians as sign posts across the continent, will be presented at 7 tonight in the First Presbyterian Church Rodgers Center Fellowship Hall at 112 S. Jefferson St. Refreshments served at 6:30. The public is invited to this free event.
A benefit for Craig Carter, who is suffering from a blood disorder, will be from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. Saturday at the VVA Building at Elm Street and Alabama 99. Three bands, silent auction, multiple raffles, kids’ games, bingo, chicken stew, BBQ plates, and bake sale will be included.
IDs for age 55 and older
Anyone age 55 and older in need of a photo ID to cast your ballot in upcoming elections can call Emily Sandlin, 256-216-3906, at the Council on Aging before Jan. 30 to receive information on how to obtain one.
Tina Hogan Memorial Fund
Athens-Limestone Hospital has established the Tina Hogan Memorial Fund at First National Bank for anyone wishing to make a donation. This fund is designated for the benefit of Tina’s children, Madison, 21, and Cole, 13. Donations may be made at any First National Bank location: U.S. 72 and Lindsey Lane, the Ardmore location or the new location on Jefferson Street. Tina Hogan, who was a long-time employee in the Quality Management Department at Athens-Limestone Hospital, was killed in a car wreck Jan. 8.
AARP safe driving course
AARP-eligible residents interested in a safe driving course are asked to call Emily Sandlin, Council on Aging, at 256-216-3906 to put your name on the call list once a date is set. Cost will be $15 for AARP members and $20 for nonmembers. Class will be one 6-hour day or two 3-hour days based on interest.
• VFW. Veterans of Foreign Wars and Ladies Auxiliary will meet for a beef stew dinner and fellowship at 6 tonight, Tuesday, with the business meeting to follow at 7. The VFW post is on North Jefferson Street. Contact: Fred 256-233-0213.
• Partners in Pink. Athens breast cancer support group Partners in Pink will meet at 6 tonight in the Athens-Limestone Hospital Education Room. The meeting includes an overview of 2014 plans.
• Soil and Water board. The Limestone County Soil and Water Conservation District Board of Supervisors will meet at 7:30 a.m. Wednesday at the Natural Resources Conservation Service Office, 1795 U.S. 72 East, Suite 102. The public is invited.
• Democrats. Limestone County Democrats will open qualifying at their monthly meeting Thursday at the Sheriff’s Rodeo Arena. A traditional chili supper begins the evening at 6 p.m. followed by a brief business meeting and qualifying.
• NARFE. National Association of Retired Federal Employees chapter 1480 will meet at 9 a.m. Jan. 25 at the Veterans Museum on Pryor Street. City Planner Mac Martin is guest speaker. Breakfast will be served. Contact: Dean Morgan 256-233-0248.
Limestone Ledger is a list of events hosted by nonprofit organizations. Items must be submitted in writing and are listed up to six days to include the day of the event. Email submissions to firstname.lastname@example.org, fax to 256-233-7753 or bring to The News Courier, 410 W. Green St., Athens, AL 35611.