The News Courier
American Education Week
Limestone County Schools are showcasing schools, student-centered projects, fall athletic teams and more during American Education Week actvities from 4-7 p.m. Monday at Athens Event Center, 310 W. Washington St.
Spaghetti dinner fundraiser
A spaghetti dinner fundraiser for Vietnam Veterans of America chapter 511 will be held Monday at the Vietnam Veterans Building on West Elm Street. Lunch is 11 a.m. until 1 p.m. Supper is 5-7 p.m. The all-you-can-eat meal is $7 and includes spaghetti, bread, salad, drink and dessert.
Calhoun fall concert
The Music Department at Calhoun Community College will conduct its fall concert at 7 p.m. Tuesday in the recital hall of the Fine Arts Building at the college’s Decatur campus. The Calhoun Guitar Ensemble and the Calhoun Chorale will perform. Admission is $5 per person. More information: 256-306-2699 or 256-306-2958.
State of the County
Limestone County Commission Chairman Stanley Menefee will deliver the State of the County address at 11:45 a.m. Tuesday in the Sandridge Student Center at Athens State University. Tickets cost $20 per person. A table of four is $100 and recognized sponsorships are available for $250 (Gold) and $150 (Silver). Gold sponsorships receive two tables and silver sponsorships receive one complimentary table. Proceeds benefit the ASU Foundation. Call 256-233-8215.
Catching Fire party
The Athens-Limestone Public Library will host a Catching Fire ball from 6-8 p.m. Thursday. Teens and older only. Participants are asked to dress in their finest ball attire and take part in games, trivia, snacks, crafts and costume contests. Costume contest winners receive prizes, including movie passes. The event is sponsored by Cinemagic Movie Theatre. More information: Contact the library at 256-232-1233.
Benefit golf tournament
The Foundation for Mental Health is holding a four-person scramble benefit golf tournament Thursday at Canebrake Golf Course. The cost is $125 per person/$500 per foursome. Proceeds benefit the Mental Health Center of North Central Alabama. A mulligan package is available and the first hole-in-one on No. 3 wins a car from Jimmy Smith Buick-GMC. Sponsorships are available. Registration is 10 a.m.; lunch is 11 a.m.; tee time is noon. Visit www.mhcnca.org/golf.aspx.
Thanksgiving dinner fundraiser
The Limestone County Young Republicans will host a Thanksgiving Dinner from 5:30- 8:30 p.m. Thursday to assist with its canned food drive. It will be at Oak Grove Clubhouse,26096 Thach Road. The price of the meal is five canned goods or $7 a plate for adults and $5 for kids 10 and under. Proceeds go to the Athens food bank.
Holiday Tour of Homes
Tickets are still available for the Athens Ladies Civitan Holiday Tour of Homes on Dec. 1 featuring six decorated homes with local caterers. Advance tickets cost $15 at Shea Leighs, Pam's Home Furnishings, First National Bank, Pimentos, Class Act Hair & Nail Salon, Crawfords, Pablo's, Smith Infinity-Huntsville, KALB office, or from an Athens Ladies Civitan member. Tickets at the host homes Dec. 1 are $20. More information: 256-233-0258.
Athens Christmas Parade
The 10th annual Reliance Bank Christmas Parade is Dec. 5, with a 6 p.m. start at Athens High School on U.S. 31. Float lineup begins at 3:15. The theme is A Storybook Christmas. The parade goes west along Hobbs Street, winds around the Courthouse, travels down Jefferson Street and ends at Hometown Grocery.
Rogersville Christmas Parade
The Rogersville Kiwanis Christmas Parade is at 5:30 p.m. Dec. 7. The theme is Holiday’s for Heroes and welcomes all veterans active or retired to particiapte. For more information visit rogersvillealabama.com.
Houston Library hours change
Houston Memorial Library will be closed Mondays beginning Dec. 2. Hours will be 10 a.m.-5 p.m. Tuesdays through Fridays and 9 a.m.-noon Saturdays.
A shoot will be held from noon until 3 p.m. every Saturday through Dec. 7 at the Vietnam Veterans Building,17915 W. Elm St. Win a turkey or ham.Contacts: Bill Schueler 256-233-5549 or Jesse McCune 256-232-0029.
The monthly American Legion Post 49 chicken stew will not be served in November. More information: Rod Huffman 256-233-3023.
• NAACP. The Limestone NAACP general membership meeting is at 7:30 p.m. Nov. 18 at the Chamber of Commerce, 101 Beaty St. More information: 256-227-8489.
• Partners in Pink. Athens breast cancer support group Partners in Pink meet at 6 p.m. Nov. 19 in the Athens-Limestone Hospital Education Room. Christmas celebration plans and the next Sherri Adams Pink Ribbon Run will be discussed. Partners in Pink T-shirts will be available to purchase.
• Ladies Civitan. Athens Ladies Civitan board meeting is at 5:30 p.m. Nov. 19 at Maryann Shepard’s home. Board members, Operation Santa chairmen and Tour of Homes chairmen are asked to attend.
• Friends of the Archives. Quarterly meeting is at 5 p.m. Nov. 19 at Limestone County Archives, 102 W. Washington St. The public is invited. More information: 256-233-6404 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
• VFW. Veterans of Foreign Wars and Ladies Auxiliary meet at 6 p.m. Nov. 19 for snacks and fellowship with meeting to follow at the VFW Post on North Jefferson Street. More information: 256-233-0213.
• ALSO. Athens-Limestone Seniors Organization will meet at 11 a.m. Nov. 21 at Athens Senior Center on Pryor Street to wrap Christman gifts for Birdie Thornton clients. Members are asked to bring scissors and Scotch tape.
• Republican Women. The Limestone Republican Women will meet Nov. 21 at the HG Grill on U.S. 72. Meal at 5:45 p.m., meeting at 6:30. Special guest speaker is state Sen. Arthur Orr, R-Decatur. Everyone is invited.
• Tea Party Patriots. The Athens/Limestone Tea Party Patriots will meet at 6:30 p.m. Nov. 21 at 100 Beaty St. The public is invited. More information: 256-777-2526.
• AMVETS. American Veterans monthly meeting is Nov. 21 at 22769 Black Road in Athens. Fellowship and covered dish dinner at 6 p.m., meeting at 7. All veterans are welcome. Contact: Lyle Sadler 256-771-2029.
• SCV. The Capt. Thomas H. Hobbs Camp 768 Sons of Confederate Veterans will meet at 6 p.m. Nov. 21 at the Alabama Veterans Museum. Cathy Gordon Wood, president of Giles Co. UDC, will speak on “Horses of the Confederacy.” Public invited.
• Narcotics Anonymous. The Courage to Change Narcotics Anonymous closed meetings are ongoing and held at 6:30 p.m. on Mondays, Thursdays and Fridays at 11309 Ripley Road in Athens. Contact:Michael 256-962-1831.
Limestone Ledger is a list of events hosted by nonprofit organizations. Items must be submitted in writing and are listed up to six days to include the day of the event. Email submissions to email@example.com, fax to 256-233-7753 or bring to The News Courier, 410 W. Green St., Athens, AL 35611.