Professor Tom Pieplow will discuss the months before the European war, which evolved into World War II, and if Great Britain and her allies made survival decisions and took action that may have crossed ethical lines, even in wartime. The event is from 11:30 a.m. –1 p.m. Monday, June 10, at the Center for Lifelong Learning at 121 S. Marion St. Contact: Diane Sauers or Wanda Campbell at 256-233-8260.
Poplar Creek Cemetery will hold decoration day from 10 a.m.-2 p.m. Saturday, June 15, at the cemetery on Snake Road. Refreshments available. For those who cannot attend, donations may be sent to Poplar Creek Cemetery, P.O. Box 965, Athens, AL 35612. There will be a meeting at 10 a.m.
The Athens High School Class of 1983 will hold its 30-year reunion at 7 p.m. on June 15 at 26435 Ed Ray Road, Athens. For more information, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Market program ends
The Senior Farmer’s Market Program has been completed for the year. There will be no new applications taken. Applications will be available in January 2014 at the Council on Aging.
Wildlife day camps
Wheeler National Wildlife Refuge will hold free day camps in June and July for children ages 8-10 and 11-13. Campers arrive at the refuge visitor center at 9 a.m. for camp and depart at 2 p.m. Camp includes, but is not limited to, scavenger hunts, bird studies, reptiles and amphibians, nature crafts and fishing. Apply insect repellant and sunscreen before arriving. Sign up children for selected dates in June and July at 256-350-6639.
• Friendship Quilters. Friendship Quilters will meet at 10 a.m. on Monday, June 10, at the First Presbyterian Church’s Rogers Center. Social time begins at 9:15.
• DAV meeting. Disabled American Veterans will hold its monthly meeting with food and fellowship at 6 p.m. Tuesday, June 11, at 25396 Airport Road. Business meeting will follow.
• Preservation Commission. The Athens Historic Preservation Commission will meet at 6 p.m. Tuesday, June 11, at the Public Works Department on Elm Street. A work session begins at 5:45 p.m.
• Limestone Republicans. Limestone County Republican Executive Committee will dine at 6 p.m. and meet at 7 p.m. Tuesday, June 11, at 306 Barbecue at 23101 U.S. 72 East in Athens. State Rep. Micky Hammon, R-Decatur, will be guest speaker. Public invited. Make reservations by sending email to Ronnie.email@example.com.
• Cancer support. The American Cancer Society support group for survivors and caregivers will meet at 6 p.m. Tuesday, June 11, at Shoney’s restaurant in Athens. All welcome.
• Tanner Quarterback Club. Tanner Quarterback Club will hold a meeting at 7 p.m. Tuesday, June 11, at the Tanner High School library. Anyone interested in youth or school athletics is invited.
Limestone Ledger is a list of events hosted by nonprofit organizations. Items must be submitted in writing and are listed up to six days to include the day of the event. Mail or bring submissions to The News Courier, 410 W. Green St., Athens, AL 35611; email to firstname.lastname@example.org or fax to 256-233-7753.