The News Courier
America Recycles Day yard sale
A benefit yard sale will be held at the Keep Athens-Limestone Beautiful office at 125 East St. (across from the duck pond in Athens) from 7 a.m.-3 p.m. Friday and from 7 a.m.-1 p.m. Saturday. The items include home décor, collectables and miscellaneous. There will also be information about the Athens-Limestone Recycling Center and Habitat ReStore. More information: 256-233-8728.
Caregivers Night Out is from 6-9 p.m. Friday at Isom’s Chapel United Methodist Church, 16230 Mooresville Road. Make reservations by noon Thursday at 256-232-7207.
Two pounds of pinto beans and three pounds of rice will be given away to anyone in need and while supplies last from 9-11 a.m. Saturday at Saint Timothy’s Episcopal Church, 207 E. Washington St., Athens. No questions asked. No names taken.
4 Paws and a Book
4 Paws and a Book, a program to improve the reading skills of children ages 5 and older, will be held from 9-10:30 a.m. Saturday at Houston Memorial Library in Athens. Children may bring their own book or read a favorite of Miss Sophie Grey, a Yorkshire terrier, who will be present for the program. To schedule a time to read, call the library at 256-233-8770.
The Oak Grove/Thach Volunteer Fire Department turkey shoot is from 9 a.m. “until” on Saturday at Station 2 on the corner of Alabama 251 and McKee Road.
Athens Housing Authority will conduct a public meeting at 10 a.m. Saturday on the Affordable Health Care Act. The meeting is at Grace Missionary Baptist Church Family Life Center, 549 W. Elm St. A Montgomery representative will be present to answer questions.
Spirit of Athens is hosting a special Holiday Market from 3-7 p.m. Saturday at the Farmers Market Pavilion, 409 W. Green St. The event includes local produce, handmade items, live music, and free chicken stew while quantities last.
Freedom Fund Banquet
The Limestone County branch NAACP is inviting the public to attend its annual Freedom Fund Banquet at 6:30 p.m. Saturday at the Beasley Center, 202 Bryan St., Athens. Tickets are $35. Event supports scholarship program and other community and youth programs. Semi-formal dress. More information: Greg Orr at 256-654-0486.
Journey Through The Past
An evening of stories about the history of Athens and Limestone County called “Journey Through the Past” will be presented by descendants of past local residents, some in period costumes, and additional speakers on Saturday at Yesterdays Event Center, 15631 Brownsferry Road. The program is free to the public. Donations will be accepted for The Alabama Veterans Museum and Archives in Athens. Dinner is available for $9.95. Doors open 6 p.m., dinner 6-7 p.m., program at 7. Reservations are required at email@example.com or 256-232-2506.
American Education Week
Limestone County Schools are showcasing schools, student-centered projects, fall athletic teams and more during American Education Week actvities from 4-7 p.m. Monday at Athens Event Center, 310 W. Washington St.
Spaghetti dinner fundraiser
A spaghetti dinner fundraiser for Vietnam Veterans of America chapter 511 will be held Monday at the Vietnam Veterans Building on West Elm Street. Lunch is from 11 a.m. until 1 p.m. Supper is from 5-7 p.m. The all-you-can-eat meal is $7 and includes spaghetti, bread, salad, drink and dessert.
Calhoun fall concert
The Music Department at Calhoun Community College will conduct its fall concert at 7 p.m. Tuesday in the recital hall of the Fine Arts Building at the college’s Decatur campus. The Calhoun Guitar Ensemble and the Calhoun Chorale will perform. Admission is $5 per person. More information: 256-306-2699 or 256-306-2958.
State of the County
Limestone County Commission Chairman Stanley Menefee will deliver the State of the County address at 11:45 a.m. Tuesday in the Sandridge Student Center at Athens State University. Tickets cost $20 per person. A table of four is $100 and recognized sponsorships are available for $250 (Gold) and $150 (Silver). Gold sponsorships receive two tables and silver sponsorships receive one complimentary table. Proceeds benefit the ASU Foundation. Call 256-233-8215.
Historical ornament fundraiser
Christmas ornaments are available for $15 at Osborne’s Jewelers at 622 S. Jefferson St., Athens. Limestone County Historical Society chose U.G. White Hardware for this year’s ornament, with proceeds to be used to buy fourth-grade history books. Contact: 256-232-2878.
Donnell House fundraiser
A wine and appetizers, dinner and dessert event will held Nov. 22 to benefit the Donnell House. Tickets are $50 per person. Schedule includes: wine/appetizers, 5-6:30 p.m., 202 E. Washington St.; dinner at the Donnell House, two seatings (6 and 7 p.m.); desserts, 7-9 p.m., Athens State University’s Founders Hall. Reservations: Jacque Reeves 256-509-3940.
Houston Library hours change
Houston Memorial Library will be closed Mondays beginning Dec. 2. Hours will be 10 a.m.-5 p.m. Tuesdays through Fridays and 9 a.m.-noon Saturdays.
A shoot will be held from noon until 3 p.m. every Saturday through Dec. 7 at the Vietnam Veterans Building,17915 W. Elm St. Win a turkey or ham.Contacts: Bill Schueler 256-233-5549 or Jesse McCune 256-232-0029.
• Fitting the Pieces. A meeting for parents with children with autism is from 6-7:30 p.m. Nov. 14 at Lindsay Lane Baptist Church. More information: 256-431-33
• Positive Look. The support group for blind and visually impaired, family and friends meet from 10 a.m. until noon Nov. 15 at Athens Recreation Center. Attendees are asked to bring a favorite dish to go with Thanksgiving dinner. More information: Wynell Reynolds 256-232-1493.
• NARFE. National Active and Retired Federal Employees chapter 1480 will meet at 9 a.m. Nov. 16 at Alabama Veterans Museum on Pryor Street in Athens. Breakfast served. Guest speaker is John Davis, retired intelligence officer and author of “Rainy 11Street Stories.” Contact: Dean Morgan 256-233-0248.
• NAACP. The Limestone NAACP general membership meeting is at 7:30 p.m. Nov. 18 at the Chamber of Commerce, 101 Beaty St. More information: 256-227-8489.
• Ladies Civitan. Athens Ladies Civitan board meeting is at 5:30 p.m. Nov. 19 at Maryann Shepard’s home. Board members, Operation Santa chairmen and Tour of Homes chairmen are asked to attend.
• Friends of the Archives. Quarterly meeting is at 5 p.m. Nov. 19 at Limestone County Archives, 102 W. Washington St. The public is invited. More information: 256-233-6404 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
• VFW. Veterans of Foreign Wars and Ladies Auxiliary meet at 6 p.m. Nov. 19 for snacks and fellowship with meeting to follow at the VFW Post on North Jefferson Street. More information: 256-233-0213.
Limestone Ledger is a list of events hosted by nonprofit organizations. Items must be submitted in writing and are listed up to six days to include the day of the event. Email submissions to email@example.com, fax to 256-233-7753 or bring to The News Courier, 410 W. Green St., Athens, AL 35611.