The American Legion Post 49 monthly chicken stew will be held from 10 a.m. until 1 p.m. today. Cost is $5 to eat in or for per quart carryouts. Containers provided. No sides with carryouts. More information or to reserve carryouts: 256-230-6233.
Spaghetti dinner fundraiser
Vietnam Veterans of America, chapter 511, will hold an all-you-can-eat spaghetti dinner 11 a.m.-7 p.m. today at the VVA building, 17915 W. Elm St. The $7 meal includes spaghetti, garlic toast, salad, dessert and drink. Take out or eat in. Proceeds benefit the VVA scholarship fund. More information: 256-206-5399.
Singing on Square
Athens-Limestone County Tourism Association will present Singing on the Square Concert at 6 p.m. Friday, April 18th sponsored by Champion Chevrolet. Trippin' Dixie will take the stage first. The Dixie Bluegrass Boys will follow at 7 p.m. Bring your lawn chair for a free concert.
Vietnam Veterans of America at 17915 W. Elm St. will hold a yard sale fundraiser Friday and Saturday to help local veterans and their families in need. Vendors welcome. Spaces available at $10 and $15 to sell items. Setup begins at 5 a.m. both days. More information: 256-206-5399.
Anyone in need may pick up two pounds of pinto beans and three pounds of rice from 9-11 a.m. Saturday at St. Timothy’s Episcopal Church, 207 E. Washington Street. No questions asked. No names taken.
4 Paws and a Book
4 Paws and a Book, a program dedicated to improve reading skills of children ages 5 and older is 9-10:30 a.m. Saturday at the Houston Memorial Library. Children may bring their own book or read a favorite of Miss Sophie Grey, a Yorkshire terrier and a registered R.E.A.D. dog. To schedule a time to read, call the library at 256-233-8770.
VFW Easter egg hunt
The Veterans of Foreign Wars Easter egg hunt with prizes is 10 a.m. Saturday at the post home on North Jefferson Street. The public is invited. Contact: Kevin 256-919-1032 or 233-1067.
Library page applications due
Summer library page applications are due at the Athens-Limestone Public Library by 5 p.m. Saturday. Applications can be picked up at the library or printed from the library’s website, www.alcpl.org. More information: Kelli 256-232-1233.
A&P Co. reunion
Previous employees of the Great Atlantic and Pacific Tea Company of Athens plan a reunion luncheon at 10:30 a.m. Monday, April 21, in the party room of the Fried Tomato Restaurant in Ardmore, Tenn. Please pass message to all A&P employees. This facility is wheelchair accessible.
Rescue Squad yard sale donations
Those with donations for the June 6-7 Rescue Squad garage sale should call Mike Handy at 256-431-7734 to arrange for pick up.
The Athens High School greenhouse will be open 9 a.m. until noon on Saturdays until further notice.
Seniors nutrition program
The Senior Farmers Market Nutrition Program is still open to people age 60 and older in Limestone County who meet certain income requirements. Applications are available at all area senior centers. If approved, $30 in coupons for fresh fruits and vegetables from the Athens Farmers Market will be mailed to the home after May 15.
Free guided one-hour walking tours of Athens historic districts are offered each Saturday in April. Tours begin 10 a.m. at the Athens-Limestone County Visitors Center at Big Spring Memorial Park. More information: 256-232-5411.
American Veterans Mims-Russell Post 21 at 22769 Black Road in Athens has karaoke night from 7 p.m. until midnight every Friday. There is a $5 cover charge at the door. Proceeds support local veterans and their families in need. Limited food items and refreshments available until 10:30 p.m. More information: 256-444-2793 or 444-1411.
Tanner Rattlers Pageant
April 21 is the deadline to enter the Miss Tanner Rattlers Pageant. The pageant will be at 5 p.m. Saturday, May 17, in the school gymnasium. Open to newborns through age 5 and Tanner High School students in kindergarten through 12th grade. Entry fee is $30 and $5 for photogenic pictures. Forms available in the school's front office. More information: Sandra Moore 256-233-6682.
The Alabama Veterans Museum fish fry fundraiser will be 11 a.m.-1 p.m. Friday, April 25, at Emmanuel Baptist Church, 1917 U.S. 72 West. Advance tickets are $10 at the museum and $12 at the fish fry. Includes catfish, chicken tenders, fries, slaw, hush puppies, drinks and dessert. Carryouts available. More information: 256-771-7578.
Flag raising ceremony
There will be a flag raising ceremony at the grave of PFC Gary Lewis Elmore at 10 a.m. Saturday, May 3, in Roselawn Cemetery. Elmore was the first soldier from Limestone County killed in action in Vietnam. Donations for his headstone can be made to: Regions Bank/Gary Elmore Headstone Fund. More information: Tink Haney 256-233-0834 or Bill Schueler 256-206-5399.
• VFW. Veterans of Foreign Wars and Ladies Auxiliary will meet for dinner at 6 p.m. today, April 15, with nominations and election of new officers to follow. The VFW post is on North Jefferson Street. Contact: Fred 256-233-0213.
• Partners in Pink. Athens breast cancer support group Partners in Pink will meet at 6 p.m. today, April 15, in the Athens-Limestone Hospital Education Room. All breast cancer fighters and survivors are invited.
• Soil and Water board. The Limestone County Soil and Water Conservation District Board of Supervisors will meet at 7 tonight, April 15, at the Natural Resources Conservation District Office, 1795 U.S. 72 East, Suite B. The public is invited.
• SCV. Sons of Confederate Veterans, Capt. Thomas H. Hobbs Camp 768, will meet 6 p.m. Thursday, April 17, at the Alabama Veterans Museum. Brig. Gen. (Ret.) John Scales will talk about Streight's Raid across Alabama and General Forrest's pursuit and capture of the Federal forces. Public invited.
• ALSO. Athens-Limestone Seniors Organization will meet following a Dutch-treat lunch at 11 a.m. Thursday, April 17, at Mac’s Steakhouse on South Jefferson Street. The speaker is Delores Thompson with Limestone County Council on Aging. The public is invited.
• Democrats. Limestone County Democrats will meet at 6:30 p.m. Thursday, April 17, at 306 Barbecue on U.S. 72. There is a 6 p.m. buffet. Cost is $11.50 per person.
• SCV. The Capt. Thomas H. Hobbs Camp 768 Sons of Confederate Veterans will meet at 6 p.m. Thursday, April 17, at the Alabama Veterans Museum. Speaker is Ruth Hill McCallister, the great-granddaughter of Sam Watkins, author of the journal, Co. Aytch. The public is invited.
• Positive Look. Support group for visually impaired people, their families and friends, will meet from 10 a.m. – noon Friday at Athens Recreation Center. Please bring a favorite dish. More info: Wynell Reynolds, 256-232-1493.
• Constitution Party. The first meeting of the Constitution Party of Limestone County will be 6-8 p.m. Saturday, April 19, at 306 Barbecue, 23101 U.S. 72 East. More information: Bruce Craig: 256-998-1660.
Limestone Ledger is a list of events hosted by nonprofit organizations. Items must be submitted in writing and are listed up to six days to include the day of the event. Email submissions to firstname.lastname@example.org, fax to 256-233-7753 or bring to The News Courier, 410 W. Green St., Athens, AL.