Flag raising ceremony
There will be a flag raising ceremony at the grave of PFC Gary Lewis Elmore at 10 a.m. Saturday, May 3, in Roselawn Cemetery. Elmore was the first soldier from Limestone County killed in action in Vietnam. Donations for his headstone can be made to: Regions Bank/Gary Elmore Headstone Fund. More information: Tink Haney 256-233-0834 or Bill Schueler 256-206-5399.
• SCV. Sons of Confederate Veterans, Capt. Thomas H. Hobbs Camp 768, will meet at 6 p.m. Thursday, April 17, at the Alabama Veterans Museum. Brig. Gen. (Ret.) John Scales will talk about Streight's raid across Alabama and General Forrest's pursuit and capture of the federal forces. Public invited.
• ALSO. Athens-Limestone Seniors Organization will meet following a Dutch-treat lunch at 11 a.m. Thursday, April 17, at Mac’s Steakhouse on South Jefferson Street. The speaker is Delores Thompson with Limestone County Council on Aging. The public is invited.
• Democrats. Limestone County Democrats will meet at 6:30 p.m. Thursday, April 17, at 306 Barbecue on U.S. 72. There is a 6 p.m. buffet. Cost is $11.50 per person.
• Positive Look. Support group for visually impaired people, their families and friends, will meet from 10 a.m.-noon Friday at Athens Recreation Center. Bring a favorite dish. More information: Wynell Reynolds 256-232-1493.
• Constitution Party. The first meeting of the Constitution Party of Limestone County will be 6-8 p.m. Saturday, April 19, at 306 Barbecue, 23101 U.S. 72 East. More information: Bruce Craig: 256-998-1660.
• Cancer survivors support. The cancer survivors support group will meet for dinner at 5:30 p.m. Monday, April 21, at First Baptist Church Family Life Center. Survivors and caregivers are invited.
• NAACP. Limestone NAACP general membership meeting is at 7:30 p.m. Monday, April 21, at Athens-Limestone Chamber of Commerce, 101 Beaty St. New members being accepted. Contact: Wilbert Woodruff 256-227-8489.
Limestone Ledger is a list of events hosted by nonprofit organizations. Items must be submitted in writing and are listed up to six days to include the day of the event. Email submissions to email@example.com, fax to 256-233-7753 or bring to The News Courier, 410 W. Green St., Athens, AL.