The News Courier
Benefit fish fry
Bethel, Tenn., Masonic Lodge 194 F&AM will host its annual benefit fish fry from 4-7 p.m. today, July 13, at the community center in Bethel. Adults: $10; children under 12, $5. Eat in or carry out.
Auditions for the Athens State University Community Chorus are being held today and Sunday, July 13-14, at The Center for Lifelong Learning. To arrange an audition, call 256-233-8260 or email email@example.com. New members will be notified by July 22.
The Limestone County NAACP invites children ages 3-13 to attend the free Steps Book Club/Reading Program session at 9:30 a.m. today, July 13, at Round Island Creek Mission Center, 13829 Lucas Ferry Road. Learning, lunch and fun provided at no charge. Registration and information: 256-216-5668.
The Meadows family reunion will be from 10 a.m. until 4 p.m. today, July 13, at Isom’s Chapel, 16230 Mooresville Road. A covered dish is requested for noon lunch. Silent auction items should be delivered early for display.
Community service project
Debutantes and ladies attending the Naomi Star chapter 653 Mother Daughter Tea and Dress Up Hat Show at 4 p.m. Sunday, July 14, at the Limestone County Sheriff’s Arena are asked to bring soap, dish liquid, cereal and macaroni for the chapter community service project. The arena is at 17836 Alabama 99 in Athens.
The Center for Lifelong Learning on Marion Street in downtown Athens is sponsoring two free discussions. Monday, July 15: Understanding the psychodynamics of addiction through Jungian psychology and the 12 steps, 11:30 a.m. until 1 p.m.; Tuesday, July 16: Funeral leave attendance policy: A case study, 11:30 a.m. until 1 p.m. Contacts: Diane Sauers or Wanda Campbell 256-233-8260.
The Athens-Limestone Public Library will host a free genealogy workshop at 2 p.m. Monday, July 15. Rebekah Davis of the Limestone County Archives and Kristi AuBuchon of the Tennessee Valley Genealogical Society will teach the class. Learn about tracing a family tree, available genealogy resources, and useful research tips. No registration required. More information: 256-232-1233.
Spaghetti dinner fundraiser
A spaghetti dinner fundraiser for the Gilliam family will be held from 5-8 p.m. Monday, July 15, at the Vietnam Veterans Building on West Elm Street. All you can eat for $6 includes spaghetti with sauce, bread, salad, carbonated drink and dessert. Hosted by AMVETS Ladies Auxiliary and the VVA.
The American Legion Post 49 monthly chicken stew will be held from 10 a.m. until 1 p.m. Tuesday, July 16. Cost is $5 to eat in or for per quart carryouts. Containers provided. No sides with carryouts. Information: Rod Huffman 256-233-3023. Reserve carryouts: 256-230-6233.
Athens High School Future Business Leaders of American is hosting a blood drive from 1-6 p.m. Tuesday, July 16, at Friendship United Methodist Church, 16479 Lucas Ferry Road. The drive is to benefit the Red Cross for Oklahoma tornado relief. Food provided for
Beginning Spanish classes
Registration is underway at The Learn to Read office at the Quad-Plex, 110 Thomas St., Suite 115, in Athens for beginning Spanish classes. Classes begin 6:30-8 p.m. Tuesday, July 16. $60 registration fee includes a textbook. Must contact in advance at 256-230-3050, firstname.lastname@example.org, or visit the office.
Swamp John’s presale
Swamp John’s dinner tickets are being pre-sold at the Athens Senior Center for a $10 donation. The dinner will be from 4-7 p.m. Thursday, Aug. 8, at Owens Senior Center on Alabama 99. Eat in or carry out. Information: 256-230-2753.
AHS Class of ’73
Athens High School Class of 1973 will have its 40th reunion, which will include classes 1971-75, at 6 p.m., Aug. 17, at Valley Event Center. Cost is $25, advance; $40 at the door. Mail to AHS Class of 1973, P.O. Box 486, Athens, AL 35612.
Summer meal program
Free breakfast and lunch is being provided July 15-Aug. 2 at the Piney Chapel Elementary cafeteria for any child through age 18 living in Limestone County. Breakfast is 7:45-8:15 a.m. and lunch is from 11-11:30 a.m.
Clements VFD fundraiser
Clements Volunteer Fire Department is conducting a five-week, door-to-door fund/picture drive. Donations will be used to purchase new turnout gear.
• Planning Commission. Athens Planning Commission will meet at 5:45 p.m. Tuesday, July 16, in the municipal courtroom of the Athens Police Department. Work session begins at 5 p.m.
• VFW. Veterans of Foreign Wars and Ladies Auxiliary will gather for dinner, fellowship and the monthly meeting at 6 p.m. Tuesday, July 16, at the Post, 4765 N. Jefferson St. Contact: Fred 256-233-0213.
• Historical Society. The Limestone County Historical Society will meet Tuesday, July 16, at the First Presbyterian Church Rodgers Center. Refreshments at 6:30 p.m. Chris Lang with Alabama Humanities Foundation speaks at 7 on antique Alabama furniture.
• Zoning board. Athens Board of Zoning Adjustment will meet at 5:30 p.m. Thursday, July 18, in the municipal courtroom of the Athens Police Department at 951 E. Hobbs St. Work session begins at 5 p.m.
• Class of ’67 women. The Tanner High School Class of 1967 women will meet and eat at 5:30 p.m. Thursday, July 18, at the home of Pat Goodin. Participants are asked to bring a covered dish. Meeting location directions: Sandra Birdwell 256-232-1628.
• Republican Women. The Limestone Republican Women will meet Thursday, July 18, at HG Grill, 216 U.S. 72 in Athens. Dinner at 5:45 p.m., meeting at 6:30. Senator Arthur Orr is the guest speaker.
Limestone Ledger is a list of events hosted by nonprofit organizations. Items must be submitted in writing and are listed up to six days to include the day of the event. Email submissions to email@example.com, fax to 256-233-7753 or bring to The News Courier, 410 W. Green St., Athens, AL 35611.