The News Courier
Alabama Veterans Museum and Archives will host a Flag Retirement Ceremony at 9 a.m. today. The public is invited to bring a tattered flag to be retired.
Fielding relatives from Alabama, Texas, Oklahoma and Missouri will gather forreminiscing and barbecue at 11 a.m. Thursday, July 4, at Athens Bible School cafeteria, 315 Hoffman St. Call Virginia Coffield 256-232-9041 or Johnny Fielding 256-233-0278.
There will be a fireworks show Thursday evening after dark. Call 256.232.5411 for information.
Senior center fundraiser
A yard sale fundraiser to benefit the East Limestone Senior Center will begin at 7 a.m. Friday, July 5, at the senior center at the corner of McCulley Mill and Nick Davis roads.
The Bethel, Tenn., Lodge 194 F&AM will host a buffet breakfast to benefit charity from 7-9 a.m. Saturday, July 6, at the lodge. Public invited. Nonperishable food is being collected for the food bank.
Alabama Veterans Museum and Archives will its monthly Coffee Call at 8 a.m. Saturday. For more information call 256-771-7578.
Monthly Cruise-In on the Athens square will be from 3-8 p.m. Saturday. Bring an antique vehicle to park around the square. For information, call 256-457-9179.
Used book sale
Athens-Limestone Public Library will have a used book sale from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Saturday. Call 256-232-1233.
AHS Class of ’73
Athens High School Class of 1973 will have its 40th reunion, which will include classes 1971-75, at 6 p.m. Aug. 17 bat Valley Event Center. Cost is $25, advance; $40 at the door. Mail to AHS Class of 1973, P.O. Box 486, Athens, AL 35612.
Mud T-shirt deadline
The absolute deadline to receive a T-shirt for the CASA Mud Volleyball Tournament is noon on July 8. Players registering after that date will not receive T-shirts. The tournament is limited to the first 90 teams to register. The tournament is 9 a.m. July 20. For more information, call 256-777-1038.
Clements VFD fundraiser
Clements Volunteer Fire Department will conduct a five-week door-to-door fund/picture drive. Donations will be used to purchase new turn-out gear.
• Master Gardeners. Limestone County Master Gardeners will meet at noon, Monday, July 8, at the Extension office on Market St. Bring a salad for a potluck salad lunch. Herb Lewis will present the program on “Gardening for the Birds: Landscaping Toward Going Green.”
• Historic Commission. Athens Historic Preservation Commission will meet at 5:45 p.m. Tuesday, July 9, in the Public Works building at 1600 W. Elm St. Work session begins at 5:45 p.m., regular session at 6.
• DAV. Disabled American veterans will meet at 6 p.m. Tuesday, July 9, for fellowship, with business meeting to follow at 7. For information, call 256-771-3225.
• Soil & Water. Limestone County Soil and Conservation District Board of Supervisors will meet at 7:30 a.m. Tuesday, July 9, at the Natural Resources Conservation Office at 1795 U.S. 72 East, Suite 102.
• Cancer Society. American Cancer Society will meet at 6 p.m. Tuesday, July 9, at Shoney’s. Survivors and caregivers are invited. For information, call 256-232-6455.
• American Legion. American Legion Post 49 and Ladies Auxiliary will meet at 7 p.m. July 11. Call 256-233-3023 for information.
• Planning Commission. Athens Planning Commission will meet at 5:45 p.m. Tuesday, July 16, in the municipal courtroom of the Athens Police Department. Work session begins at 5 p.m.
• Zoning board. Athens Board of Zoning Adjustment will meet at 5:30 p.m. Thursday, July 18, in the municipal courtroom of the Athens Police Department at 951 E. Hobbs St. Work session begins at 5:30 p.m.
Limestone Ledger is a list of events hosted by nonprofit organizations. Items must be submitted in writing and are listed up to six days to include the day of the event. Email submissions to email@example.com, fax to 256-233-7753 or bring to The News Courier, 410 W. Green St., Athens, AL 35611.