Friends of the Library will hold its annual membership meeting at 10 a.m. Monday at the library at 405 E. South St. Anyone interested in becoming a member of the Friends is welcome to attend. Rod Huffman, chairman of the library board of trustees, will speak on the various roles played by the trustees, the foundation, and the friends in support of the library. Membership applications are available at the library.
The American Legion Post 49 monthly chicken stew will be held from 10 a.m. until 1 p.m. Tuesday. Cost is $5 to eat in or for per quart carryouts. Containers provided. No sides with carryouts. Information: Rod Huffman 256-233-3023. Reserve carryouts: 256-230-6233.
Legion of Honor ceremony
The Alabama Veterans Museum and Archives will host at 3 p.m. Thursday Denis Barbet, counsel general of France, who will present the Legion of Honor to four World War II veterans who fought in France: Cal Bonner, Theo Calvin, Jack Hunter and Clifford Wilford. Contact: Museum Director Sandy Thompson 256-771-7578.
Healthy Cooking Class
The Cooperative Extension Service will present a Healthy Cooking Class beginning at 9 a.m. Thursday. There is no fee, but registration is required by Monday by calling 256-232-5510.
Athens-Limestone Public Library will present a Glow-In-the-Dark painting class for teens only from 3:50 to 5 p.m. Thursday. Library provides supplies. Contact: 256-232-1233.
Caregiver’s Night Out will be from 6-9 p.m. Friday at Friendship United Methodist Church, 16479 Lucas Ferry Road. Make reservations by noon Thursday, Jan. 17, at 256-232-7207.
Tutor Training Workshop
A Tutor Training Workshop is available for volunteers to tutor adults who need help with reading. The Learn-To-Read Council workshop will be held from 8:30 a.m. until 5 p.m. Saturday at the Quad-Plex Office Building, 110 Thomas St., Suite 115S in Athens. Register at 256-230-3050 or email@example.com.
4 Paws and a Book
A program dedicated to improving reading skills of children ages 5 and older, called 4 Paws and a Book will be held from 9-10:30 a.m. Saturday at the Houston Memorial Library in Athens. Children can bring their own book or read a favorite of Miss Sophie Grey, a Yorkshire terrier, who will be present for the program. To schedule a time to read, call the library at 256-233-8770.
Senior Farmer’s Market Nutrition Program applications are now available for citizens age 60 and older who meet certain income guidelines: Family of one, $1,534 monthly; family of two, $2,064 monthly; family of three, $2,594. Visit your closest senior center during normal business hours or go to the Council on Aging office on Pryor Street to complete an application. These are submitted online by Council on Aging staff, but the website states: “The budget does not allow enough checks to satisfy everyone who wants them and is eligible.”
• Breast Cancer Support. The Athens Breast Cancer Support Group will meet at 6 p.m. Tuesday, Jan. 15, at the Athens-Limestone Hospital education room. Kristi Anderson, a personal trainer, is the guest speaker. New members welcome. Contact: Tammy Woodward 256-206-6052 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
• VFW. Veterans of Foreign Wars and Ladies Auxiliary will gather for dinner, programs and the monthly meeting at 6 p.m. Tuesday, Jan. 15, at the Post, 4765 N. Jefferson St. Contact: Kevin 256-278-8276.
• Historical Society. The Limestone County Historical Society will meet Tuesday, Jan. 15, at the First Presbyterian Church Rodgers Center. Refreshments at 6:30 p.m. Local historian Bob Jacques will share letters and other mementos at 7 p.m. during his discussion of “Artifacts of the Civil War.”
• ALSO. Athens-Limestone Seniors Organization will meet for a Dutch lunch at 11 a.m. Thursday, Jan. 17, at Mac’s Steakhouse. Pam Smith of Hospice will talk on “Life Reflections.” Public invited.
• Republican Women. Limestone Republican Women will meet at 6 p.m. Thursday, Jan. 17, at Mac’s Steakhouse. Guest speaker will be Sen. Arthur Orr.
• AMVETS. AMVETS will meet at 6 p.m. Thursday, Jan. 17, at 22769 Bill Black Road. A covered dish dinner will be served.
• Hobbs Camp SCV. The Hobbs Camp of the Sons of Confederate Veterans will meet at 7 p.m. Thursday, Jan. 17, at the Alabama Veterans Museum. Jimmy Hill will talk on the United Confederate Veterans. Public invited.
• Tanner Class of ’67 Women. Tanner High School Class of 1967 Women will have a “Meet & Eat” at 5:30 p.m. Thursday, Jan. 17, at 306 Barbecue Restaurant. Contact: Sandra Birdwell 256-232-1628.
Limestone Ledger is a list of events hosted by nonprofit organizations. Items must be submitted in writing and are listed up to six days to include the day of the event. Mail or bring submissions to The News Courier, 410 W. Green St., Athens, AL 35611; email to email@example.com or fax to 256-233-7753.