The News Courier
Foster/adoptive parent class
Limestone County Foster and Adoptive Parent Class orientation will be held at 5:30 p.m. Tuesday at the Limestone County Department of Human Resources, 1007 W. Market St. Classes will be held from 6-9 p.m. on Tuesdays for 10 weeks beginning Feb. 12 at the same location. Contact: Angela Mayberry 256-216-6401.
Table Talk: Capital punishment
Dr. Fisher Humphries from Samford University will lead a discussion on justice and mercy as they apply to capital punishment in Alabama at noon Thursday in the parlor at Founders Hall. Feel free to bring lunch.
Caregiver’s Night Out will be from 6-9 p.m. Friday at Clements Baptist Church, 8690 U.S. 72 West. Make reservations by noon Thursday, Feb. 7, at 256-232-7207.
The Limestone County NAACP invites children ages 3-13 to attend the free Steps Book Club/Reading Program session at 9:30 a.m. Saturday at Round Island Creek Mission Center, 13829 Lucas Ferry Road. Learning, lunch and fun provided. Registration and information contact: 256-216-5668.
Tax Service Counseling
Retired and Senior Volunteer Program income-tax service will begin from 9 a.m.-3 p.m. Monday, Feb. 4, at First Baptist Church Youth Activity Center at the corner of Pryor and Clinton streets in downtown Athens. Sessions will continue every Monday and Thursday until April 15. No appointments will be given. Returns will be filed at no cost to the client. If interested, please bring tax returns from last year, Social Security numbers for each person in the household, birth dates for each person in the household, W-2 form(s) and 1099 form(s), if applicable. For more information, call Dean Morgan of RSVP at 256-232-7207.
Tree seedlings giveaway
Keep Athens-Limestone Beautiful will have a tree seedlings giveaway for Limestone County residents only at 10 a.m. Saturday, Feb. 16, at Big Spring Memorial Park in Athens to help reforest areas of Alabama hardest hit by April 2011 tornadoes. Visit KeepAthensLimestoneBeautiful.com for a list of tree species available, and an order form to print, complete, and bring to the event. Contact: KALB 256-233-8728 or KeepALBeautiful@att.net.
• AHS Class of ’56. Athens High School Class of 1956 will meet at 11 a.m. Wednesday, Feb. 6, at Logan’s in Athens for a Dutch-treat lunch. Contact: Mary 256-729-6709.
• Quilt guild. The Athens PieceMakers Quilt Guild will meet at 6 p.m. on Thursday, Feb. 7 at First Church of Athens on Lucas Ferry Road. Quilt instructor Fran Sargent will present the meeting.
• Fitting the Pieces. A network group for parents that have children with autism will meet from 6-7:30 p.m. Thursday, Feb. 7, at Lindsay Lane Baptist Church in Athens. Contact: Todd Tomerlin 256-431-3511 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
• American Legion. Post 49 and the Ladies Auxiliary monthly meeting will be at 7 p.m. Thursday, Feb. 7, at 124 Cloverleaf Drive in Athens. Contact: Rod Huffman 256-233-3023.
• Autism Society. The Autism Society of Alabama will hold a meeting from 8-8:30 p.m. Thursday, Feb. 7, at Lindsay Lane Baptist Church for volunteers wanting to help with the April 13 autism walk. Contact: Todd Tomerlin 256-431-3511 or email email@example.com.
Limestone Ledger is a list of events hosted by nonprofit organizations. Items must be submitted in writing and are listed up to six days to include the day of the event. Mail or bring submissions to The News Courier, 410 W. Green St., Athens, AL 35611; email to firstname.lastname@example.org or fax to 256-233-7753.