Anyone in need may pick up two pounds of beans and three pounds of rice from 9-11 a.m. Saturday at St. Timothy’s Episcopal Church, 207 E. Washington Street. No questions asked. No names taken.
Tree seedling giveaway
KALB will give away tree seedlings from 9-11 a.m. Saturday at Big Spring Memorial Park. There are about 1,100 seedlings. The limit is six trees per person. If any remain, leftover seedlings will be given away 11-11:30 a.m. and at the KALB office the following Monday. For a list of tree types, visit the Keep Athens-Limestone Beautiful Facebook page or send an email to KALBCares@gmail for an order form.
4 Paws and a Book
4 Paws and a Book, a program dedicated to improve reading skills of children ages 5 and older is 9-10:30 a.m. Saturday at the Houston Memorial Library. Children may bring their own book or read a favorite of Miss Sophie Grey, a Yorkshire terrier and a registered R.E.A.D. dog. To schedule a reading time, contact: 256-233-8770.
VVA band night
A country music band will play from 7-11 p.m. Saturday at the Vietnam Veterans of America building, 17915 W. Elm St. No cost. More information: 256-233-5549 or 256-206-5399.
The American Legion Post 49 monthly chicken stew will be held from 10 a.m. until 1 p.m. Tuesday. Cost is $5 to eat in or for per quart carryouts. Containers provided. No sides with carryouts. More information or to reserve carryouts: 256-230-6233.
Vietnam Veterans of America Chapter 511 will sponsor an all-you-can-eat spaghetti dinner from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m., and 5-7 p.m. Tuesday at 17915 W. Elm St., next to the rodeo arena. Carryouts available. Tickets are $7. Proceeds go to the scholarship fund. Call Bill at 256-233-5549 or 256-206-5399.
Foster parent orientation
Foster/Adoptive Parent Orientation will be at 6 p.m. Tuesday at Limestone County Department of Human Resources, 1007 Market St. Classes begin March 4. Contact: Angela Mayberry at 256-216-6401.
Loans/grants for seniors
Eddie Brooks with the U.S. Department of Agriculture will give a presentation on USDA low interest loans and grants to seniors for home repairs at 11:30 a.m. Wednesday at the Athens Senior Center.
Trinity celebration of history
Athens-Limestone Community Association will present a celebration of black history at 6 p.m. Saturday, Feb. 22, at the Beasley Center of First United Methodist Church. Guest speaker is the Rev. Louis F. Malone, Trinity Class of 1968 and pastor of St. Luke M.B. Church in Rockford, Ill. Music by St. Mark P.B. Church Mass Choir. The public is invited. There is no charge for admission but donations toward the restoration of the Trinity School/Fort Henderson site will be accepted. Contact: Masheldia Green at 256-654-9355 or Carolyn Williams at 256-777-9727.
Poke Sallet tickets
Tickets for Poke Sallet 2014, “Home Sweet Home,” are on sale at Athens Senior Center on Pryor Street, Monday through Friday, from 8 a.m.-4 p.m., and on Mondays, from 5-8 p.m. No tickets will be held and all must be paid for at time of purchase. Make checks payable to Foundation on Aging.
Elkmont beauty walk
Registration is underway through Feb. 26 for the Elkmont High School band’s eighth annual beauty walk to be held March 8-9. Any preschooler can enter from outside the Elkmont school district. Parents can pick up forms from the school’s front office or website. Contact: Keila Berzett at 256-423-3972 and 256-423-5754 or Debbie Evans at 256-497-3111.
Women’s History Month
March is National History Month and this year the Alabama Veterans Museum and Archives will present “Celebrating Women of Character, Courage & Commitment,” a celebration of women in the Vietnam War. If you know any women who were in service during the Vietnam era, call Sandy Thompson at 256-771-7578.
Income tax preparation
Athens-Limestone County RSVP is providing free income tax preparation and electronic filing for taxpayers unable to pay to file their taxes. The service will be offered at Athens First Baptist Church Youth Activity Center from 9 a.m.-4 p.m. through April 14 on Mondays and Thursdays and 9 a.m.-4 p.m. through Feb. 25 on Tuesdays. Bring last year’s tax returns, W-2 forms, Social Security numbers for each person claimed and 1099 forms. No appointment necessary. Contact: RSVP office at 256-232-7207.
• Beekeepers. The Limestone County Beekeepers Assoc. will meet at 6 p.m. Thursday, Feb. 13, at Limestone County Water and Sewer Authority, 17218 U.S. 72 West.
• NAACP. Limestone NAACP general membership meeting is at 7:30 p.m. Monday, Feb. 17, at Athens-Limestone Chamber of Commerce, 101 Beaty St. Contact: Wilbert Woodruff 256-227-8489.
• Partners in Pink. Athens breast cancer support group Partners in Pink will meet at 6 p.m. Tuesday, Feb. 18, in the Athens-Limestone Hospital Education Room. Guest speaker Norma Jacobs will discuss the importance of good nutrition to the breast cancer survivor. Recipe samples will be available. All Athens-area breast cancer survivors are invited.
• VFW. Veterans of Foreign Wars and Ladies Auxiliary will meet for snacks and fellowship at 6 p.m. Tuesday, Feb. 18, with the monthly meeting to follow. The VFW post is on North Jefferson Street. Contact: Fred at 256-233-0213.
• ALSO. Athens-Limestone Seniors Organization will meet following a Dutch-treat lunch at 11 a.m. Thursday, Feb. 20, at Mac’s Steakhouse on South Jefferson Street. Guest speaker is Mignon Bowers, a Limestone County Silver-Haired Legislature representative. The public is invited.
• AMVETS. The American Veterans and the Ladies Auxiliary meet Thursday, Feb. 20, at 22769 Black Road. Fellowship with a covered dish dinner at 6 p.m., meeting at 7. All veterans are invited. Contact: Lyle Sadler 256-771-2029.
• SCV. The Capt. Thomas H. Hobbs Camp 768 Sons of Confederate Veterans will meet at 6 p.m. Thursday, Feb. 20, at the Alabama Veterans Museum. Lee Y. Green Jr. will speak on “The Skirmish at Woodall Bridge, Hartselle.” The public is invited.
• Soil and Water board. The Limestone County Soil and Water Conservation District Board of Supervisors will meet at 7:30 a.m. Thursday, Feb. 20, at the Natural Resources Conservation Service Office, 1795 U.S. 72 East, Suite 102. The public is invited.
Limestone Ledger is a list of events hosted by nonprofit organizations. Items must be submitted in writing and are listed up to six days to include the day of the event. Email submissions to firstname.lastname@example.org, fax to 256-233-7753 or bring to The News Courier, 410 W. Green St., Athens, AL 35611.