The American Legion Post 49 monthly chicken stew will be held from 10 a.m. until 1 p.m. today. Cost is $5 to eat in or for per quart carryouts. Containers provided. No sides with carryouts. More information or to reserve carryouts: 256-230-6233.
Vietnam Veterans of America Chapter 511 will sponsor an all-you-can-eat spaghetti dinner from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m., and 5-7 p.m. today at 17915 W. Elm St., next to the rodeo arena. Carryouts available. Tickets are $7. Proceeds go to the scholarship fund. Call Bill at 256-233-5549 or 256-206-5399.
Girl Scout cookie tasting
The Limestone County Girl Scout cookie tasting is 4-6 p.m. today at Athens Recreation Center. It was rescheduled due to the winter storm. The tasting, which will offer samples of eight cookies, is free to the public.
Foster parent orientation
Foster/Adoptive Parent Orientation will be at 6 tonight at Limestone County Department of Human Resources, 1007 Market St. Classes begin March 4. Contact: Angela Mayberry at 256-216-6401.
Loans/grants for seniors
Eddie Brooks with the U.S. Department of Agriculture will give a presentation on USDA low interest loans and grants to seniors for home repairs at 11:30 a.m. Wednesday at the Athens Senior Center.
The 26th annual Hospice of Limestone County Chili Challenge and Silent Auction is 10 a.m. until 2 p.m. Saturday at Athens High School. Cost is $10 per person to taste and vote on 32 chili recipes. Bid on sports items, artwork, gift certificates, lawn and garden supplies and more. Auction ends at 1:30 p.m. Proceeds benefit Hospice services such as Camp Home and respite workers. Call 256-232-5017 for tickets.
VFW is hosting a benefit at 2 p.m. Sunday for dialysis patient Marcus Johnson, 39, who is awaiting a new kidney. There will be chicken stew, a bake sale and auction. Stew at $5 per quart; $18 per gallon. Eat in or carry-out; containers furnished.
Trinity celebration of history
Athens-Limestone Community Association will present a celebration of black history at 6 p.m. Saturday, Feb. 22, at the Beasley Center of First United Methodist Church. Guest speaker is the Rev. Louis F. Malone, Trinity Class of 1968 and pastor of St. Luke M.B. Church in Rockford, Ill. Music by St. Mark P.B. Church Mass Choir. The public is invited. There is no charge for admission but donations toward the restoration of the Trinity School/Fort Henderson site will be accepted. Contact: Masheldia Green at 256-654-9355 or Carolyn Williams at 256-777-9727.
Tickets — $10, students and $12, general admission — are available for the Calhoun Community College production of William Shakespeare’s “Hamlet” to be staged Feb. 27 through March 18 at the school’s Black Box Theatre in the Fine Arts Building. More information: 256-306-2693 or email email@example.com.
River cleanup volunteers needed
Keep Athens-Limestone Beautiful seeks volunteers for a cleanup of the Elk River Canoe & Kayak Trail and surrounding land areas to begin at 8 a.m. Saturday, March 8. Lunch and bottled water provided. Individuals, families, or interested groups welcome. More information: 256-233-8728 or email KALBCares@gmail.com.
Poke Sallet tickets
Tickets for Poke Sallet 2014, “Home Sweet Home,” are on sale at Athens Senior Center on Pryor Street, Monday through Friday, from 8 a.m.-4 p.m., and on Mondays, from 5-8 p.m. No tickets will be held and all must be paid for at time of purchase. Make checks payable to Foundation on Aging.
Elkmont beauty walk
Registration is underway through Feb. 26 for the Elkmont High School band’s eighth annual beauty walk to be held March 8-9. Any preschooler can enter from outside the Elkmont school district. Parents can pick up forms from the school’s front office or website. Contact: Keila Berzett at 256-423-3972 and 256-423-5754 or Debbie Evans at 256-497-3111.
Women’s History Month
March is National Women’s History Month and this year the Alabama Veterans Museum and Archives will present “Celebrating Women of Character, Courage & Commitment,” a celebration of women in the Vietnam War. If you know any women who were in service during the Vietnam era, call Sandy Thompson at 256-771-7578.
Income tax preparation
Athens-Limestone County RSVP is providing free income tax preparation and electronic filing for taxpayers unable to pay to file their taxes. The service will be offered at Athens First Baptist Church Youth Activity Center from 9 a.m.-4 p.m. through April 14 on Mondays and Thursdays and 9 a.m.-4 p.m. through Feb. 25 on Tuesdays. Bring last year’s tax returns, W-2 forms, Social Security numbers for each person claimed and 1099 forms. No appointment necessary. Contact: RSVP office at 256-232-7207.
• Partners in Pink. Athens breast cancer support group Partners in Pink will meet at 6 tonight, Feb. 18, in the Athens-Limestone Hospital Education Room. Guest speaker Norma Jacobs will discuss the importance of good nutrition to the breast cancer survivor. Recipe samples will be available. All Athens-area breast cancer survivors are invited.
• Archives. The Friends of the Archives will hold its quarterly meeting at 5 p.m. today, Feb. 18, at the Limestone County Archives, 102 W. Washington St. The public is invited. More information: 256-233-6404 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
• VFW. Veterans of Foreign Wars and Ladies Auxiliary will meet for snacks and fellowship at 6 tonight, Feb. 18, with the monthly meeting to follow. The VFW post is on North Jefferson Street. Contact: Fred at 256-233-0213.
• ALSO. Athens-Limestone Seniors Organization will meet following a Dutch-treat lunch at 11 a.m. Thursday, Feb. 20, at Mac’s Steakhouse on South Jefferson Street. Guest speaker is Mignon Bowers, a Limestone County Silver-Haired Legislature representative. The public is invited.
• AMVETS. The American Veterans and the Ladies Auxiliary meet Thursday, Feb. 20, at 22769 Black Road. Fellowship with a covered dish dinner at 6 p.m., meeting at 7. All veterans are invited. Contact: Lyle Sadler 256-771-2029.
• SCV. The Capt. Thomas H. Hobbs Camp 768 Sons of Confederate Veterans will meet at 6 p.m. Thursday, Feb. 20, at the Alabama Veterans Museum. Lee Y. Green Jr. will speak on “The Skirmish at Woodall Bridge, Hartselle.” The public is invited.
• Democrats. Limestone County Democrats will meet at 6 p.m. Thursday, Feb. 20, at HG Grill on U.S. 72. Guest speaker is Mike Curtis, Democratic candidate for state Senate District 1.
• Soil and Water board. The Limestone County Soil and Water Conservation District Board of Supervisors will meet at 7:30 a.m. Thursday, Feb. 20, at the Natural Resources Conservation Service Office, 1795 U.S. 72 East, Suite 102. The public is invited.
• Positive Look. Positive Look support group for the blind, visually impaired and families and friends, will meet 10 a.m. to noon Friday, Feb. 21, at Athens Recreation Center. Guest speaker is Selena Williams with Comfort Keepers. Bring favorite snack, drink or dessert. More information: Wynell Reynolds 256-232-1493.
• NARFE. National Association of Retired Federal Employees chapter 1480 will meet at 9 a.m. Saturday, Feb. 22, at the Veterans Museum on Pryor Street. Athens Fire Department Chief Tony Kirk is guest speaker. Breakfast will be served. Contact: Dean Morgan 256-233-0248.
Limestone Ledger is a list of events hosted by nonprofit organizations. Items must be submitted in writing and are listed up to six days to include the day of the event. Email submissions to email@example.com, fax to 256-233-7753 or bring to The News Courier, 410 W. Green St., Athens, AL 35611.