Women’s History Month
March is National Women’s History Month and this year the Alabama Veterans Museum and Archives will present “Celebrating Women of Character, Courage & Commitment,” a celebration of women in the Vietnam War. If you know any women who were in service during the Vietnam era, call Sandy Thompson at 256-771-7578.
Income tax preparation
Athens-Limestone County RSVP is providing free income tax preparation and electronic filing for taxpayers unable to pay to file their taxes. The service will be offered at Athens First Baptist Church Youth Activity Center from 9 a.m.-4 p.m. through April 14 on Mondays and Thursdays and 9 a.m.-4 p.m. through Feb. 25 on Tuesdays. Bring last year’s tax returns, W-2 forms, Social Security numbers for each person claimed and 1099 forms. No appointment necessary. Contact: RSVP office at 256-232-7207.
• Partners in Pink. Athens breast cancer support group Partners in Pink will meet at 6 tonight, Feb. 18, in the Athens-Limestone Hospital Education Room. Guest speaker Norma Jacobs will discuss the importance of good nutrition to the breast cancer survivor. Recipe samples will be available. All Athens-area breast cancer survivors are invited.
• Archives. The Friends of the Archives will hold its quarterly meeting at 5 p.m. today, Feb. 18, at the Limestone County Archives, 102 W. Washington St. The public is invited. More information: 256-233-6404 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
• VFW. Veterans of Foreign Wars and Ladies Auxiliary will meet for snacks and fellowship at 6 tonight, Feb. 18, with the monthly meeting to follow. The VFW post is on North Jefferson Street. Contact: Fred at 256-233-0213.
• ALSO. Athens-Limestone Seniors Organization will meet following a Dutch-treat lunch at 11 a.m. Thursday, Feb. 20, at Mac’s Steakhouse on South Jefferson Street. Guest speaker is Mignon Bowers, a Limestone County Silver-Haired Legislature representative. The public is invited.
• AMVETS. The American Veterans and the Ladies Auxiliary meet Thursday, Feb. 20, at 22769 Black Road. Fellowship with a covered dish dinner at 6 p.m., meeting at 7. All veterans are invited. Contact: Lyle Sadler 256-771-2029.