Community service project
Debutantes and ladies attending the Naomi Star chapter 653 Mother Daughter Tea and Dress Up Hat Show at 4 p.m. today, July 14, at the Limestone County Sheriff’s Arena are asked to bring soap, dish liquid, cereal and macaroni for the chapter community service project. The arena is at 17836 Alabama 99 in Athens.
The Center for Lifelong Learning on Marion Street in downtown Athens is sponsoring two free discussions — Monday, July 15: Understanding the psychodynamics of addiction through Jungian psychology and the 12 steps, 11:30 a.m. until 1 p.m.; and Tuesday, July 16: Funeral leave attendance policy: A case study, 11:30 a.m. until 1 p.m. Contacts: Diane Sauers or Wanda Campbell 256-233-8260.
The Athens-Limestone Public Library will host a free genealogy workshop at 2 p.m. Monday, July 15. Rebekah Davis of the Limestone County Archives and Kristi AuBuchon of the Tennessee Valley Genealogical Society will teach the class. Learn about tracing a family tree, available genealogy resources, and useful research tips. No registration required. More information: 256-232-1233.
Spaghetti dinner fundraiser
A spaghetti dinner fundraiser for the Gilliam family will be held from 5-8 p.m. Monday, July 15, at the Vietnam Veterans Building on West Elm Street. All you can eat for $6 includes spaghetti with sauce, bread, salad, carbonated drink and dessert. Hosted by AMVETS Ladies Auxiliary and the VVA.
The American Legion Post 49 monthly chicken stew will be held from 10 a.m. until 1 p.m. Tuesday, July 16. Cost is $5 to eat in or for per quart carryouts. Containers provided. No sides with carryouts. Information: Rod Huffman 256-233-3023. Reserve carryouts: 256-230-6233.
Athens High School Future Business Leaders of American is hosting a blood drive from 1-6 p.m. Tuesday, July 16, at Friendship United Methodist Church, 16479 Lucas Ferry Road. The drive is to benefit the Red Cross for Oklahoma tornado relief. Food provided for
Beginning Spanish classes
Registration is underway at The Learn to Read office at the Quad-Plex, 110 Thomas St., Suite 115, in Athens for beginning Spanish classes. Classes begin 6:30-8 p.m. Tuesday, July 16. $60 registration fee includes a textbook. Must contact in advance at 256-230-3050, email@example.com, or visit the office.
The Positive Look support group for the blind and visually impaired, family and friends will host speakers Gayla Amerson and Kim Roberts between 10 a.m. and noon Friday, July 19, at the Athens Recreation Center on U.S. 31. Bring refreshments to share. Contact: Wynell Reynolds 256-232-1493.
Singing on the Square
Dixon Todd and Southern Splendor Chorus will be featured at Singing on the Square which begins at 6 p.m. Friday, July 19 on the east side of Limestone County Courthouse. Lawn chairs and blankets are encouraged.
Descendents of the Hezekiah Robinson family will meet Saturday, July 20, at the old train depot in Elkmont. Lunch at noon. Covered dishes requested. Contact: 256-732-4548.
Doors will be open from 10 a.m. until 3 p.m. at the community club building on Thach Road Saturday, July 20, for the Germantown reunion. Covered dish lunch. Contact: 256-232-8252 or 256-503-2028.
4 Paws and a Book
A program dedicated to improving reading skills of children ages 5 and older, called 4 Paws and a Book will be held from 9-10:30 a.m. Saturday, July 20, at the Houston Memorial Library in Athens. Children can bring their own book or read a favorite of Miss Sophie Grey, a Yorkshire terrier, who will be present for the program. To schedule a time to read, call the library at 256-233-8770.
AHS Class of ’78 reunion
The Athens High School Class of 1978 reunion will be held from 6-9 p.m. Saturday, July 20, at Yesterday’s on Browns Ferry Road in Athens. Cost is $25 per person.
Swamp John’s presale
Swamp John’s dinner tickets are being pre-sold at the Athens Senior Center for a $10 donation. The dinner will be from 4-7 p.m. Thursday, Aug. 8, at Owens Senior Center on Alabama 99. Eat in or carry out. Information: 256-230-2753.
AHS Class of ’73
Athens High School Class of 1973 will have its 40th reunion, which will include classes 1971-75, at 6 p.m., Aug. 17, at Valley Event Center. Cost is $25, advance; $40 at the door. Mail to AHS Class of 1973, P.O. Box 486, Athens, AL 35612.
Summer meal program
Free breakfast and lunch is being provided July 15-Aug. 2 at the Piney Chapel Elementary cafeteria for any child through age 18 living in Limestone County. Breakfast is 7:45-8:15 a.m. and lunch is from 11-11:30 a.m.
• Planning Commission. Athens Planning Commission will meet at 5:45 p.m. Tuesday, July 16, in the municipal courtroom of the Athens Police Department. Work session begins at 5 p.m.
• VFW. Veterans of Foreign Wars and Ladies Auxiliary will gather for dinner, fellowship and the monthly meeting at 6 p.m. Tuesday, July 16, at the Post, 4765 N. Jefferson St. Contact: Fred 256-233-0213.
•Republicans. The Limestone County Republican Executive Committee will meet Tuesday, July 16, at 306 Barbecue, U.S. 72 East in Athens. Social hour 6-7 p.m.; meeting at 7. If you plan to attend, contact Ronnie Coffman at firstname.lastname@example.org.
• Historical Society. The Limestone County Historical Society will meet Tuesday, July 16, at the First Presbyterian Church Rodgers Center. Refreshments at 6:30 p.m. Chris Lang with Alabama Humanities Foundation speaks at 7 on antique Alabama furniture.
• Zoning board. Athens Board of Zoning Adjustment will meet at 5:30 p.m. Thursday, July 18, in the municipal courtroom of the Athens Police Department at 951 E. Hobbs St. Work session begins at 5 p.m.
• Class of ’67 women. The Tanner High School Class of 1967 women will meet and eat at 5:30 p.m. Thursday, July 18, at the home of Pat Goodin. Participants are asked to bring a covered dish. Meeting location directions: Sandra Birdwell 256-232-1628.
• Republican Women. The Limestone Republican Women will meet Thursday, July 18, at HG Grill, 216 U.S. 72 in Athens. Dinner at 5:45 p.m., meeting at 6:30. Senator Arthur Orr is the guest speaker.
Limestone Ledger is a list of events hosted by nonprofit organizations. Items must be submitted in writing and are listed up to six days to include the day of the event. Email submissions to email@example.com, fax to 256-233-7753 or bring to The News Courier, 410 W. Green St., Athens, AL 35611.