Benefit toy drive
Owens Volunteer Fire Department will host a benefit toy drive from 10 a.m. until 4 p.m. Friday and Saturday at the Dollar General story on Alabama 99. Donations of new toys for all ages are needed for local children. For information or to make advance donations call Dennis and Tammy Blakely 256-655-9196.
Caregivers Night Out will be from 6-9 p.m. Friday, Dec. 7, at Isom’s Chapel United Methodist Church, 16230 Mooresville Road. Make reservations by noon today, Dec. 6, at 256-232-7207.
Elkmont band stew
The Elkmont High School band will hold a chicken stew at 11 a.m. Saturday at the downtown Elkmont Volunteer Fire Department. Gallon is $18 and quarts are $5. Bring own containers. Meals available for $5 and include stew, crackers, dessert and drink. See students for presales. Contact: Mike Ikard 256-431-0542.
The annual Spirit of Athens Sippin’ Cider event will be held from 5-8 p.m. Saturday on the downtown Square. The free event allows participants to taste cider at area merchants, vote for their favorite, and register for door prizes. Santa and Charles Dickens’ characters will be available for photos. There will be Christmas crafts for children at various stores. Contact: Holly Hollman 256-262-1399.
Used book sale
The Friends of Athens-Limestone Public Library will hold a used book sale from 10 a.m. until 4 p.m. Tuesday at the library at 405 E. South St. Contact: 256-232-1233.
Heart of Athens calendars
Heart of Athens calendars that feature paintings by local artists of many community landmarks are available for $18 each at U.G. White’s and the ASU Center for Lifelong Learning, both on the downtown Square. They can be purchased online at http://www.athensspirit/blogspot.com. Calendar sales benefit the nonprofit Spirit of Athens and their work in downtown revitalization.
Troop 7236 Christmas Trees
East Limestone Boy Scout Troop 7236 has Fraser Fir Christmas trees for sale through Dec. 18. Visit the new location at East Limestone and Capshaw roads at the old Reliance Bank lot.
• Piecemakers Guild. Piecemakers Guild will meet at 5:30 p.m. today, Dec. 6, at First Church on Lucas Ferry for a Christmas party. The program will be by the Quilter’s Square of Franklin, Tenn. RSVP to Debbie Yff at 256-230-0922 or Theyffs@yahool.com.
• ALSO. Instead of holding the regular monthly meeting, Athens-Limestone Seniors Organization will meet at 11 a.m. Friday, Dec. 7, at Birdie Thornton Center to host a Christmas party for the clients. Bring a snack.
• Sportsman Club. The Limestone County Sportsman Club will meet at 7 p.m. Monday, Dec. 10, at the Vietnam Veterans of America building at 17953 W. Elm St. Covered dish dinner will be served following the meeting. Contact: Lyle Sadler 256-771-2029.
• Cancer survivors dinner. An American Cancer Society Christmas supper for cancer survivors, caregivers and guests will be held at 6 p.m. Tuesday, Dec. 11, at Catfish Cabin. Bring a dessert and a $10 Santa swap gift. Contact: 256-232-6455.
• DAV. The Disabled American Veterans monthly meeting will be held Tuesday, Dec. 11, at the DAV on Airport Road off Alabama 127 in Athens. Food and fellowship at 6 p.m. and meeting at 7.
Limestone Ledger is a list of events hosted by nonprofit organizations. Items must be submitted in writing and are listed up to six days to include the day of the event. Mail or bring submissions to The News Courier, 410 W. Green St., Athens, AL 35611; email to email@example.com or fax to 256-233-7753.