Poke Sallet tickets
Tickets for Poke Sallet 2014, “Home Sweet Home,” are on sale from 8 a.m.-4 p.m. Mondays through Fridays and from 5-8 p.m. Mondays at Athens Senior Center at 912 W. Pryor St. No tickets will be held and all must be paid for at time of purchase. Make checks payable to Foundation on Aging.
Elkmont beauty walk
Registration is underway through Feb. 26 for the Elkmont High School band’s eighth-annual beauty walk to be held March 8-9. Any preschooler can enter from outside the Elkmont school district. Parents can pick up forms from the school’s front office or website. Contact: Keila Berzett at 256-423-3972 and 256-423-5754 or Debbie Evans at 256-497-3111.
Women’s History Month
March is National Women’s History Month, and this year the Alabama Veterans Museum and Archives in Athens will present “Celebrating Women of Character, Courage & Commitment,” a celebration of women in the Vietnam War. If you know any women who were in service during the Vietnam era call Sandy Thompson at 256-771-7578.
Income tax prep
Athens-Limestone County RSVP is providing free income-tax preparation and electronic filing for taxpayers unable to pay to file their taxes. The service will be offered at Athens First Baptist Church Youth Activity Center from 9 a.m.-4 p.m. through April 14 on Mondays and Thursdays and 9 a.m.-4 p.m. through Feb. 25 on Tuesdays. Bring last year’s tax returns, W-2 forms, Social Security numbers for each person claimed and 1099 forms. No appointment necessary. Contact: RSVP office at 256-232-7207.
• ALSO. Athens-Limestone Seniors Organization will meet following a Dutch-treat lunch at 11 a.m. Thursday, Feb. 20, at Mac’s Steakhouse on South Jefferson Street in Athens. Guest speaker is Mignon Bowers, a Limestone County Silver-Haired Legislature representative. The public is invited.
• AMVETS. The American Veterans and the Ladies Auxiliary will meet Thursday, Feb. 20, at 22769 Black Road. Fellowship with a covered-dish dinner at 6 p.m., meeting at 7. All veterans are invited. Contact: Lyle Sadler 256-771-2029.
• SCV. The Capt. Thomas H. Hobbs Camp 768 Sons of Confederate Veterans will meet at 6 p.m. Thursday, Feb. 20, at the Alabama Veterans Museum and Archives in Athens. Lee Y. Green Jr. will speak on “The Skirmish at Woodall Bridge, Hartselle.” The public is invited.
• Democrats. Limestone County Democrats will meet at 6 p.m. Thursday, Feb. 20, at HG Grill on U.S. 72 in Athens. Guest speaker is Mike Curtis, Democratic candidate for state Senate District 1.
• Soil and Water board. The Limestone County Soil and Water Conservation District Board of Supervisors will meet at 7:30 a.m. Thursday, Feb. 20, at the Natural Resources Conservation Service Office, 1795 U.S. 72 East, Suite 102. The public is invited.
• Positive Look. Positive Look support group, for the blind, visually impaired and families and friends, will meet from 10-noon Friday, Feb. 21, at Athens Recreation Center. Guest speaker is Selena Williams with Comfort Keepers. Bring favorite snack, drink or dessert. More information: Wynell Reynolds 256-232-1493.
• NARFE. National Association of Retired Federal Employees chapter 1480 will meet at 9 a.m. Saturday, Feb. 22, at the Veterans Museum and Archives on Pryor Street in Athens. Athens Fire Chief Tony Kirk will be guest speaker. Breakfast will be served. Contact: Dean Morgan 256-233-0248.
Limestone Ledger is a list of events hosted by nonprofit organizations. Items must be submitted in writing and are listed up to six days to include the day of the event. Email submissions to firstname.lastname@example.org, fax to 256-233-7753 or bring to The News Courier, 410 W. Green St., Athens, AL 35611.