Flu shot clinics for seniors
Walgreens flu shot clinics through the Council on Aging will be held today from 8:30-9:30 a.m. at Owens Senior Center and from 10-11 a.m. at Goodsprings Senior Center.
The public is invited to a celebration of the Constitution at 1:30 p.m. today at the Alabama Veterans Museum, 100 Pryor St. Retired Air Force Major Gen. Chris Anzalone is guest speaker. Refreshments served. John Wade Keyes chapter Daughters of the American Revolution is hosting the event.
Meet the neighbors
The Ardmore Public Library program, Ardmore’s Alabama Neighbors, will be at 5 p.m. today and Oct. 17. It will feature several people from surrounding communities to educate those in attendance on their community and includes people from Bryson, Macedonia, Piney Grove, Wooley Springs and Prospect.
Chick-fil-A Spirit Night
Cowart Elementary’s Chick-fil-A Spirit Night is from 5-8 tonight at the U.S. 72 location. Customers are encouraged to ask cashiers to credit their purchase to Cowart Elementary.
Be Ready Day
The public is invited to attend Be Ready Day from 10 a.m.-2 p.m. Friday at the Limestone County Event Center at 114 W. Pryor St. to learn more about the role local responders play in preventing and responding to disasters. Free admission and lunch, giveaways , kids activities and equipment demonstrations are included.
Caregiver’s Night Out will be from 6-9 p.m. Friday at Friendship United Methodist Church, 16479 Lucas Ferry Road. Make reservations by noon today at 256-232-7207.
Duck & Run 5K and Fun Run
A mildly challenging, certified race through Athens starts and ends at Big Spring Memorial Park. Packet pickup and late registration Friday at Fleet Feet Sports in Huntsville from 10 a.m.-2 p.m. and at the Keep Athens-Limestone Beautiful office at 125 East St. in Athens from 4-7 p.m. 5K registration $25. Fun run registration $10. Race-day registration begins at 6:45 a.m. Saturday at the KALB office. 5K begins at 8 a.m. Fun run at 9 a.m. More information: 256-233-8728 or visit www.KALBCares.com.
The Limestone NAACP walk-a-thon is from 7-10 a.m. Saturday at the Athens High School track. See any member to make a pledge or donation. The yard sale is from 7 a.m.-3 p.m. at the corner of Hine Street and U.S. 72 West at T&T Groceries. Funds raised support scholarship program and branch operations. Contact: Greg Orr at 256-654-0486.
Two pounds of pinto beans and 3 pounds of rice will be given away to anyone in need and until supplies last from 9-11 a.m. Saturday, Sept. 21, at St. Timothy’s Episcopal Church, 207 E. Washington St. in Athens. No questions asked, no names taken.
4 Paws and a Book
A program dedicated to improving the reading skills of children ages 5 and older, called 4 Paws and a Book, will be held from 9-10:30 a.m. Saturday at the Houston Memorial Library in Athens. Children can bring their own book or read a favorite of Miss Sophie Grey, a Yorkshire terrier who will be present for the program. To schedule a time to read, call the library at 256-233-8770.
Author visit/football party
Athens-Limestone Public Library will host author Sherri Graves Smith from noon-2 p.m. Saturday. The free event includes a football party honoring Smith, complete with snacks, games, crafts and stories. Smith will read, sign autographs and have books for sale at $14.95 each plus tax. All ages welcome and encouraged to wear their team colors. For more information, call 256-232-1233.
Blankenship, Lee reunion
The Blankenship and Lee reunion will be held from 1-4 p.m. Sunday at Owens Community Center on Alabama 99. Bring a dish. For more information, call Patricia Uselton at 256-233-0399 or 256-431-0708.
Friends of Athens-Limestone Public Library will hold a used-book sale from 10 a.m.-4 p.m. Tuesday at the library at 405 E. South St. For more information, call 256-232-1233.
AHS blood drive
Athens High School Student Council Association will hold a blood drive from 8 a.m.-3 p.m. Wednesday at the LifeSouth buses in front of the school. Their goal is to collect 175 pints of blood.
All contributions donated to Ethan Haney’s fundraiser should be made out to Ethan Haney at Bank Independent or to David Haney, 11906 Poplar Hill Lane, Athens, AL 35611.
• ALSO. Athens-Limestone Seniors Organization will hold a members-only meeting at 10:30 a.m. today, Thursday, Sept. 19, at Athens Rehabilitation and Senior Care on Market Street.
• AMVETS. Mims-Russell American Veterans Memorial Post 21 will meet at 6 tonight, Thursday, Sept. 19, at 22769 Black Road in Athens. Potluck dinner at 6 p.m. Meeting begins at 7. For more information, go online to www.amvetspost21.org.
• Republican women. Limestone Republican Women will meet tonight, Thursday, Sept. 19, at HF Grill on U.S. 72. Dinner at 5:45 p.m., meeting at 6:30. Guest speaker Heather Beshears.
• SCV. Capt. Thomas H. Hobbs Camp 768 Sons of Confederate Veterans will meet at 6 p.m. Thursday, Sept. 19, at the Alabama Veterans Museum and Archives. Limestone County Archivist Rebekah Davis will speak on how to look up your ancestors. Public invited.
• Positive Look. Positive Look support group for the blind and visually impaired and family and friends will meet from 10 a.m.-noon Friday, Sept. 20, at Athens Recreation Center. Athens Dulcimers will play. Contact: Wynell Reynolds at 256-232-1493.
• City Council. Athens City Council members will hold a work session on the general fund at 1 p.m. Friday, Sept. 20, in the mayor’s conference room of the temporary City Hall inside the Athens Utilities building off Wilkinson Drive. The meeting is open to the public.
• Democrats. Limestone County Democrats will meet at 9 a.m. Saturday, Sept. 21, at the home of Judy Wilson, 15380 Spring Lake Drive, Athens. Light refreshments. Public invited.
• Ladies Civitan. Athens Ladies Civitan will hold its installation dinner and new-member initiation at 5:30 p.m. Tuesday, Sept. 24, at First National Bank on U.S. 72, upstairs. Bring a dish. Guests welcome. RSVP Pat Lewis2grenro.net.
Limestone Ledger is a list of events hosted by nonprofit organizations. Items must be submitted in writing and are listed up to six days to include the day of the event. Email submissions to firstname.lastname@example.org, fax to 256-233-7753 or bring to The News Courier, 410 W. Green St., Athens, AL 35611.