The News Courier
The Positive Look support group for the blind and visually impaired, family and friends will hold their annual picnic between 10 a.m. and noon Friday, June 21, at the Athens Recreation Center. Contact: Martha Thornton 256-232-1919.
Teen summer reading
A teen summer reading program will be held from noon-5 p.m. Friday, June 21, at Ardmore Public Library, 25836 Main St., Ardmore, Tenn. Five hours of activities geared toward reading “The Lightning Thief” by Rick Riordan. A free book will be given to the first 10 people to sign up. Pizza and movie included. Contact: Kristina Jones at 931-427-4883.
Singing on the Square
Singing on the Square will begin at 6 p.m. Friday, June 21, featuring Dixie Bluegrass Boys and Tilford Sellers and the Wagon Burners. In case of rain, the event will move to the Limestone County Event Center. The public is invited to bring lawn chairs to the east side of Limestone County Courthouse for the free concert. Contact: 256-232-5411.
Walking horse show
The second-annual Col. Sam Gibbons Memorial Walking Horse Show will be at 6 p.m. Friday, June 21, at the Limestone County Sheriff’s Arena off Alabama 99. Tickets are $5 at the gate. Concessions will be available and handled by the AmVets organization of Athens. Half-time entertainment exhibition by Kelly Peevy and her world grand champion Friesian, named Baron, imported from the Netherlands. Contact: Sandy Thompson at 256-771-7578 or email Sndy6732@gmail.com.
Caregivers Night Out will be from 6-9 p.m. Friday, June 21, at Friendship Methodist Church, 16479 Lucas Ferry Road. Make reservations by noon Thursday at 256-232-7207.
Elkmont barbecue cook-off
The Elkmont Lions Club will hold their Smokin’ Railroad Street Barbecue Cook-Off, Backyard Division, on Friday and Saturday, June 21-22. Setup at noon Friday. Music at 6:30 p.m. Open at 8 a.m. Saturday with vendors open. For more information, visit www.elkmontlionsclub.com.
Craig family reunion
Descendants of Monroe and Adaline Craig will meet for a reunion Saturday, June 22, at Owens Senior Center off Alabama 99. Lunch served at noon.
Used book sale
The Friends of Athens-Limestone Public Library will hold a used book sale from 10 a.m. until 4 p.m. Tuesday, June 25, at the library at 405 E. South St. Contact: 256-232-1233.
Ardmore reading program
Ardmore Public Library, at 25836 Main St. in Ardmore, Tenn., will hold its summer reading program for children ages 12 and under at 10 a.m. for four successive Wednesdays — June 19 and 26 and July 3 and 10. A ventriloquist, puppet theater and super scientist will be featured. Contact: 931-427-4883.
The Athens-Limestone Seniors Organization will not meet in June or July. The next meeting is scheduled for Aug. 15.
• AMVETS Ladies Auxiliary. American Veterans Ladies Auxiliary will meet at 5 p.m. Thursday, June 20, at 22769 Black Road in Athens to discuss upcoming events and business. Covered dish dinner at 6. Contact: Roxanne at 256-771-2029.
• AMVETS. American Veterans will meet at 6 p.m. Thursday, June 20, at 22769 Black Road in Athens. Covered dish dinner at 6 p.m. Upcoming events and Post business will be discussed at 7. All veterans welcome. Contact: Lyle Sadler at 256-771-2029.
• SCV. Capt. Thomas H. Hobbs Camp 768 Sons of Confederate Veterans will meet at 6 p.m. Thursday, June 20, at Alabama Veterans Museum and Archives in Athens. Sean Busick, associate professor of history at ASU, will speak on Confederate vice president Alexander Stephens. Public invited.
• Republican Women. Limestone Republican Women will meet Thursday, June 20, at HG Grill at 216 U.S. 72 in Athens. Dinner at 5:45 p.m., meeting at 6:30. Elbert Peters, District 5 chairman of the Alabama Republican Executive Committee, will be guest speaker.
• NARFE. National Active and Retired Federal Employees, Chapter 1480, will meet at 9 a.m. Saturday, June 22, at the Veterans Museum and Archives on Pryor Street in Athens. Guest speaker will be Melinda Dugger of Dugger’s Florist. Breakfast served. Call Dean Morgan 256-233-0248.
• Athens Forge. Athens Blacksmith Forge will meet at 10 a.m. Saturday, June 22, at Travis Flemings Artistic Anvil Forge on Commercial Drive in Athens. Visitors welcome. Contact: John Guenther 256-230-2900 or 256-431-3862.
Limestone Ledger is a list of events hosted by nonprofit organizations. Items must be submitted in writing and are listed up to six days to include the day of the event. Email submissions to email@example.com, fax to 256-233-7753 or bring to The News Courier, 410 W. Green St., Athens, AL 35611.