The News Courier
Running With the Goats
The first Running With the Goats 10K (7 a.m.), 5K (9 a.m.) at Belle Chevre Creamery, 18849 Upper Fort Hampton Road in Elkmont, and Fun Run (10 a.m.) on the Richard Martin Rails-to-Trails, is set for today. Festivities include music and food. Awards and raffle follow from 10:30 a.m. until noon. More information: Angie Sandritter firstname.lastname@example.org.
The American Veterans Post 21 coffee is 7 a.m. today at 22769 Black Road. Free coffee, doughnuts and camaraderie. Guests welcome. Meeting is held each Saturday excluding first Saturday of the month.
Beans and rice giveaway
A free pound of beans and a pound of rice are available to adults from 9-11 a.m. today at Tanner United Methodist Church, 19607 Huntsville-Browns Ferry Road. No questions asked.
Super Saturday Fun
STEM, free events for ages 5-16 and centered on science, technology, engineering and mathematics, is scheduled 10:30 a.m.-2 p.m. today at The Bridge, 1623 Hine St. Register at 10 a.m. Events include sidewalk chalk wars, marshmallow challenge, create your own flavor ice cream and the anatomy of a cupcake. Contact: 256-777-4613.
VVA Country Band
Vietnam Veterans chapter 511 will host the country band, 251 Detour, from 6-11 tonight at the post at 17915 W. Elm St. Admission is $5. Proceeds benefit veterans.
Spaghetti dinner fundraiser
Vietnam Veterans of America, chapter 511, will hold an all-you-can-eat spaghetti dinner 11 a.m.-1 p.m. and 5-7 p.m. Tuesday at the VVA building, 17915 W. Elm St. The $7 meal includes spaghetti, fresh salad, bread, dessert and drink. Take out or eat in. Proceeds benefit the VVA scholarship fund.
The American Legion Post 49 monthly chicken stew is 10 a.m. until 1 p.m. Tuesday at 124 Cloverleaf Drive. Cost is $5 with one dessert to eat in or for per quart carryouts or delivery. Containers provided. Free delivery to offices or job sites within Athens city limits. More information or to reserve carryouts: 256-230-6233.
“Holding the Fort” author Charlotte Fulton will speak at 7 p.m. Tuesday at First Presbyterian Church Rodgers Center fellowship hall, 112 S. Jefferson St. The book traces the history of Trinity School on Brownsferry Street, which was founded in 1865 for the education of freedmen. Refreshments at 6:30. The public is invited. Limestone County Historical Society is hosting the free event as part of their quarterly meeting.
Athens Lions Club Kiddie Carnival at 309 E. Forrest St. is open 6:30-9:30 p.m. Thursdays, Fridays and Saturdays through Aug. 2 with 10 rides for young children, bingo and concessions including funnel cakes and cotton candy. Ride tickets are 50 cents each.
Yellow Dot enrollment
People of all ages can enroll in the free Yellow Dot program, which provides information to first responders to give enrollees the “best care in case of a vehicle accident.” Yellow Dot enrollment/SHIP and SeniorX counseling are set for 9-11 a.m. at the following senior centers: Ardmore, July 10; Goodsprings, July 14; East Limestone, July 21; Owens, July 22; Athens, July 24; Elkmont, July 29 and Tanner, July 31. More information: 256-233-6412.
Head Start applications
Applications are being accepted for fall 2014-2015 Head Start classrooms for children ages 3-5 in Limestone County. The free preschool program includes health, nutrition, family and education services and is part of Community Action Partnership of North Alabama. Center locations are: West Limestone, Creekside, Blue Springs, Owens, Cedar Hill, Tanner, Piney Chapel and Cowart. For appointments or more information: 256-262-0361.
Beauty pageant fundraiser
The Miss Summer Fun Pageant fundraiser for the Tanner softball team is Saturday, Aug. 9. More information: Paula Pressnell email@example.com or Tammy Murphy firstname.lastname@example.org.
AHS Class of '64 planning
Planners for the Athens High School Class of 1964 50-year reunion would like classmates to contact them with updated addresses and/or email addresses. The reunion will be at 6 p.m., Aug. 9, at the Athens Senior Center. Some class members have not been contacted. Send updated information to Doug Warren at 770-381-5780 or email him at email@example.com as soon as possible.
Tanner reunion planning
Tanner High School Class of 1959 graduates are being asked to provide updated addresses to the reunion committee. A reunion is being planned for 5 p.m., July 18, at Yesterdays. Provide information to Ann Nave McLemore at 256-232-3567 as soon as possible.
• Fellowship Quilt Guild. Athens Fellowship Quilt Guild will meet at 9:30 a.m. Monday, July 14, in the First Presbyterian Church fellowship hall. The program is “Bring a Quilt That Tells a Story.”
• NAACP. Limestone NAACP general membership meeting is 7:30 p.m. Monday, July 14, at Athens-Limestone Chamber of Commerce, 101 Beaty St. Contact: Wilbert Woodruff 256-233-8489.
• VFW. Veterans of Foreign Wars and Ladies Auxiliary will meet for snacks and fellowship at 6 p.m. Tuesday, July 15, with the monthly meeting to follow. The VFW post is on North Jefferson Street. Contact: Fred 256-233-0213.
• Republicans. The Limestone County Republican Executive Committee will meet at 6 p.m. Tuesday, July 15, at 306 Barbecue on U.S. 72. Social time begins at 5:30. The public is invited.
• Zoning board. The Board of Zoning Adjustment for the city of Athens will hold a 5 p.m. work session and 5:30 regular meeting Thursday, July 17, in City Council chambers in the Athens Police Department, 951 E. Hobbs St. Purpose is to hear opinions on request for variances on front and side yard setbacks at 1310 W. Elm St. in an agricultural (AG) district.
• AMVETS. The American Veterans monthly meeting is Thursday, July 17, at 22769 Black Road. Fellowship with a covered dish dinner at 6 p.m., meeting at 7. All veterans are invited. Contact: Lyle Sadler 256-771-2029.
• SCV. The Capt. Thomas H. Hobbs Camp 768 Sons of Confederate Veterans will meet at 6 p.m. Thursday, July 17, at the Alabama Veterans Museum. Local author Jerry Barksdale will discuss researching “Revolutionaries and Rebels” based on Athens and Limestone County. The public is invited.
Limestone Ledger is a list of events hosted by nonprofit organizations. Items must be submitted in writing and are listed up to six days to include the day of the event. Email submissions to firstname.lastname@example.org, fax to 256-233-7753 or bring to The News Courier, 410 W. Green St., Athens, AL.