Spaghetti Dinner fundraiser for Vietnam Veterans of America will be from 5-8 p.m. Monday, Aug 19, at the Vietnam Veterans building on West Elm Street. All you can eat, for $6, which includes spaghetti, bread, salad, drink and dessert. Contact: Roxanne Haggermaker 256-206-6702
Athens High schedules
Athens High School freshmen and new students orientation and class schedule pickup is at 6 p.m. Thursday, Aug. 15, in the school gymnasium. Other remaining class schedule pickups for 2013-2014 year are: Juniors, 9-11 a.m., Wednesday, Aug. 14; sophomores, 1-3 p.m., Wednesday, Aug. 14, in the library. First day of school is Monday, Aug. 19.
West Limestone schedules
Children in grades first through sixth will have an open house from 6-7:30 p.m. Aug 15.
After school program
The David’s Temple after school (3-5 p.m.) program to help students in grades 1-12 in Athens and Limestone County with homework and study skills resumes Aug. 19. More information: Geraldine McDonald 256-355-1343.
Duck and Run registration
Registration is open for the Sept. 21 KALB 10th annual 5K race and fun run. Details and online registration are available at KALBCares.com and active.com. More information: KALBCares@gmail.com or call 256-233-8728.
• ALSO. The Athens-Limestone Seniors Organization will meet and have a Dutch-treat lunch at 11 a.m. today, Aug. 15, at Mac’s Steakhouse on Jefferson Street. Speaker is Delores Thompson with Council on Aging. The public is invited.
• Republican Women. The Limestone Republican Women will meet today, Aug. 15, at HG Grill on U.S. 72 in Athens. Dinner at 5:45 p.m., meeting at 6:30. Guest speakers are Cory Elrod and Clint Wood with Limestone Young Republicans. The public is invited.
• AMVETS. American Veterans will meet tonight, Aug. 15, at Mims-Russell AMVETS Memorial Post 21, 22769 Black Road in Athens. Potluck dinner at 6 p.m., meeting at 7.
• SCV. The Capt. Thomas H. Hobbs Camp 768 Sons of Confederate Veterans will meet at 6 tonight, Aug. 15, at the Alabama Veterans Museum and Archives. Tennessee Division SCV member Gene Andrews will speak on Gen. Nathan B. Forrest. The public is invited.
• Positive Look. The Positive Look support group for the blind and visually impaired, family and friends will meet from 10 a.m. until noon Friday, Aug. 16, at the Athens Recreation Center. Guest speaker is Charley Hughes. Contact: Wynell Reynolds 256-232-1493.
• Farmers Federation. The Limestone County Farmers Federation Annual Meeting and barbecue dinner will be at 6 p.m. Friday, Aug. 16, at the Veterans Museum on Pryor Street. Includes last year’s business, board members election. Door prizes. All ALFA members invited. Contact: Paul Looney 256-232-1391.
• Partners in Pink. Partners in Pink Breast Cancer Support Group will meet at 6 p.m. Tuesday, Aug. 20, at the Athens-Limestone Hospital education room. Guest speaker Eddie Falconberry of The Falcon’s Nest will discuss skin care for the cancer patient. Contact: Tammy Woodward 256-206-6052.
• VFW. Veterans of Foreign Wars and Ladies Auxiliary will gather for snacks, fellowship and the monthly meeting at 6 p.m. Tuesday, Aug. 20, at the Post, 4765 N. Jefferson St. Contact: Fred 256-233-0213.
Limestone Ledger is a list of events hosted by nonprofit organizations. Items must be submitted in writing and are listed up to six days to include the day of the event. Email submissions to email@example.com, fax to 256-233-7753 or bring to The News Courier, 410 W. Green St., Athens, AL 35611.