The News Courier
4 Paws and a Book
A program dedicated to improving reading skills of children ages 5 and older, called 4 Paws and a Book will be held from 9-10:30 a.m. Saturday at the Houston Memorial Library in Athens. Children can bring their own book or read a favorite of Miss Sophie Grey, a Yorkshire terrier, who will be present for the program. To schedule a time to read, call the library at 256-233-8770.
A free to the public classic and antique car show, silent auction and barbecue will be held from 11 a.m. until 5 p.m. Saturday at First Church Athens, 17175 Lucas Ferry Road in Athens. Barbecue plates are $5. Car fee is $20. Register by 8 a.m. Trophies and door prizes awarded. Proceeds go to help fund Men for Missions trip to the Dominican Republic. Contact: 256-874-7878 or 874-6558.
Hunter Bauer blood drive
The eighth annual Hunter Bauer Memorial Blood Drive, in cooperation with the Red Cross, will be held from noon until 5 p.m. Sunday at the Beasley Center on the corner of Marion and Bryan streets. A middle school student at the time, Bauer died in 2004 from a drug-resistant staph infection.
Children’s Chorale concert
Heritage Children’s Chorale will present their 25th annual Christmas Concert at 7:30 p.m. Dec. 17 at First Presbyterian Church in Athens. Contact: Mary Stephenson, 256-233-0433.
Heart of Athens calendars
Heart of Athens calendars that feature paintings by local artists of many community landmarks are available for $18 each at U.G. White’s and the ASU Center for Lifelong Learning, both on the downtown Square. They can be purchased online at http://www.athensspirit/blogspot.com. Calendar sales benefit the nonprofit Spirit of Athens and their work in downtown revitalization.
Boy Scout Christmas Trees
East Limestone Boy Scout Troop 7236 has Fraser Fir Christmas trees for sale through Dec. 18. Visit the new location at East Limestone and Capshaw roads at the old Reliance Bank lot.
• ALERA. Athens-Limestone Education Retirees Association will meet at 9:30 a.m. today, Dec. 14, at Athens Recreation Center. Contact: Jerry George 256-729-1145.
• NARFE. National Active and Retired Federal Employees chapter 1480 will meet at 9 a.m. Saturday, Dec. 15, at the Veterans Museum on Pryor Street in Athens. A Christmas musical program will be presented. Breakfast prepared by Bob McAbee and J.D. Jones. Contact: Dean Morgan 256-233-0248.
• Alzheimer’s support. Athens Alzheimer’s Support group will meet at 6 p.m. Monday, Dec. 17, at the Athens Senior Center on Pryor Street. Caregivers or anyone with a family member or friend with Alzheimer’s is invited to attend. Contact: Sharon Griffis 256-874-0888.
• NAACP. The Limestone County NAACP annual meeting will be held at 6:30 p.m. Monday, Dec. 17, at 17308 U.S. 72 West in Athens. Contact: Wilbert Woodruff 256-216-5668 or 256-227-8489.
• VFW. Veterans of Foreign Wars and Ladies Auxiliary will host a Christmas dinner for members and their families at 6 p.m. Tuesday, Dec. 18, at the Post, 4765 N. Jefferson St. and Alabama 127. Contact: Kevin 256-278-8276.
• AMVETS. AMVETS (American Veterans) will meet at 6 p.m. Thursday, Dec. 20, at 22769 Black Road. Call 256.771.2029 for more information.
Limestone Ledger is a list of events hosted by nonprofit organizations. Items must be submitted in writing and are listed up to six days to include the day of the event. Mail or bring submissions to The News Courier, 410 W. Green St., Athens, AL 35611; email to firstname.lastname@example.org or fax to 256-233-7753