From staff reports
For The News Courier
Church briefs must be submitted in writing, either on a form available at The News Courier office at 410 W. Green St., Athens, or sending email to firstname.lastname@example.org or a fax to 256-233-7753.
• Fellowship. Pastor David Wallace and House of Hope Ministry will fellowship with New Zion P.B. Church at 2 p.m. Sunday, Feb. 17, at New Zion.
• Deacon ordination. West Highland Baptist Church will hold a deacon ordination service at 2:30 p.m. Sunday, Feb. 17. Fellowship will follow in the Christian Life Center.
Members and friends are invited. Contact: 256-232-3397.
• Gospel meeting. West Hobbs Street Church of Christ is holding a gospel meeting Feb. 17-20 at 1602 W. Hobbs St. Speaker is Al Behel, minister of the Greater Smoky Mountains Church of Christ in Pigeon Forge, Tenn. Contact: 256-232-4705.
• African-American History. Indian Creek Primitive Baptist Church is hosting special events in observance of African-American History Month. An essay contest for grades 1-12 is being held Wednesday, Feb. 20, and their Great Debate will be held at 6 p.m. Wednesday, Feb. 27, during Bible study.
• Fish fry. The Frazier C.M.E. Church Family will sponsor their annual Lenten Season Fish Fry on Friday, Feb. 22. Plates are $10 each and include Southern-fried catfish fillets, coleslaw, baked beans, pickle, bread and dessert. Barbecue chicken plates are $8 each. To place orders, call 256-374-2191, or call the church directly at 256-233-2104 Wednesday from 11 a.m., to 1 p.m., or Sunday, from 8:30 a.m., to 1:30 p.m. Frazier C.M.E. Church is located at 1108 S. Hine St. in Athens.
• Family and Friends Day. The Indian Creek Primitive Baptist Church will hold their annual Family and Friends Day at 8 and 11 a.m. Sunday, Feb. 24. Public invited.
• Homecoming Celebration. Greenbrier Baptist Church will hold its 70th annual Homecoming Celebration on Sunday, Feb. 24. Squire Parsons will sing at the 11 a.m. service. A fellowship meal follows at 12:30 p.m. and evening services are planned for 1:45. Friends and former members invited. More information: www.greenbrierbaptistchurch.net or 256-497-7349.
• Black history program. Little Ezekiel M.B. Church at 16439 Lindsey Road in Tanner will hold a black history program with the theme “At the Crossroads of Freedom & Equality” at 2 p.m. Sunday, Feb. 24. Guest speaker is Pastor Jeffrey Mosely. The guest church is Sweet Home M.B. and music is by the Sweet Home choir. Elder Carolyn Lucas, associate minister of Union Hill C.P. Church in Huntsville will be featured at 7 p.m. Wednesday, Feb. 27, in a ministry fellowship program at the church.
• Pastor appreciation. The public is invited to the St. Mark Primitive Baptists Church will hold a morning of gratitude and appreciation honoring their pastor of 18 years, Kenneth F. Owens, on Sunday, March 3, at 11 a.m. The church is located at 740 W. Sanderfer Road in Athens. Pastor Leo Owens of Bethel-Colbert church in Leighton, Ala., will deliver the message.