Fairy tales, fables at library
The Athens-Limestone Public Library, in partnership with Girl Scouts, will host a series of free programs about fairy tales and fables from 2-3 p.m. on Aug. 13 and 15. Programs are geared toward girls ages 12 and under, but boys are welcome.
Beginning Bookworms Preschool registration
Registration is underway for Beginning Bookworms Preschool at Athens-Limestone Public Library. The program meets Thursday mornings from 10:15-11:15 beginning Aug. 29. The class is for children in Athens and Limestone County; children must be 4 years old by Sept. 1. The fee is $15 at registration and $15 in January. Contact: Kelli at 256-233-1233.
Athens High schedules
Athens High School freshmen and new students orientation and class schedule pickup is at 6 p.m. Thursday, Aug. 15, in the school gymnasium. Other class schedule pickups for 2013-2014 year are: Seniors, 1-3 p.m. Tuesday, Aug. 13; juniors, 9-11 a.m., Wednesday, Aug. 14; sophomores, 1-3 p.m., Wednesday, Aug. 14, in the library. First day of school is Monday, Aug. 19.
West Limestone schedules
West Limestone High School students may pick up their schedules from 8-11 a.m. and 1-3 p.m. on these dates: 12th grade, Aug. 5; 11th grade, Aug. 6; 10th grade, Aug. 7; and ninth grade, Aug. 8. Kindergarten orientation will be at 2 p.m. Aug. 11. Middle School schedules will be ready to pick up from 6-7:30 p.m. Tuesday, Aug. 13. Children in grades first through sixth will have an open house from 6-7:30 p.m. Aug 15.
After school program
The David’s Temple after school (3-5 p.m.) program to help students in grades 1-12 in Athens and Limestone County with homework and study skills resumes Aug. 19. More information: Geraldine McDonald 256-355-1343.
• Cancer survivor dinner. An American Cancer Society dinner and meeting for cancer survivors, caregivers and guests will be held at 6 tonight, Aug. 13, at Shoney’s. Contact: 256-232-6455.
• DAV. The Disabled American Veterans monthly meeting will be held tonight, Aug. 13, at 25396 Airport Road. Food and fellowship at 6 p.m. and meeting at 7.
• AHS booster club. The Athens High School Athletic Booster Club will have their monthly meeting at 6 tonight, Aug. 13, in the AHS library. All Golden Eagles supporters are invited. Members and volunteers will plan and prepare for the Aug. 20 “Meet the Eagles” fall sports banquet.
• ALSO. The Athens-Limestone Seniors Organization will meet and have a Dutch-treat lunch at 11 a.m. Thursday, Aug. 15, at Mac’s Steakhouse on Jefferson Street. Speaker is Delores Thompson with Council on Aging. The public is invited.
• Republican Women. The Limestone Republican Women will meet Thursday, Aug. 15, at HG Grill on U.S. 72 in Athens. Dinner at 5:45 p.m., meeting at 6:30. Guest speakers are Cory Elrod and Clint Wood with Limestone Young Republicans. The public is invited.
• AMVETS. American Veterans will meet Thursday, Aug. 15, at Mims-Russell AMVETS Memorial Post 21, 22769 Black Road in Athens. Potluck dinner at 6 p.m., meeting at 7.
• SCV. The Capt. Thomas H. Hobbs Camp 768 Sons of Confederate Veterans will meet at 6 p.m. Thursday, Aug. 15, at the Alabama Veterans Museum and Archives. Tennessee Division SCV member Gene Andrews will speak on Gen. Nathan B. Forrest. The public is invited.
• Farmers Federation. The Limestone County Farmers Federation Annual Meeting and barbecue dinner will be at 6 p.m. Friday, Aug. 16, at the Veterans Museum on Pryor Street. Includes last year’s business, board members election. Door prizes. All ALFA members invited. Contact: Paul Looney 256-232-1391.
Limestone Ledger is a list of events hosted by nonprofit organizations. Items must be submitted in writing and are listed up to six days to include the day of the event. Email submissions to email@example.com, fax to 256-233-7753 or bring to The News Courier, 410 W. Green St., Athens, AL 35611.