The American Legion Post 49 monthly chicken stew will be held from 10 a.m. until 1 p.m. today. Cost is $5 to eat in or for per quart carryouts. Containers provided. No sides with carryouts. More information or to reserve carryouts: 256-230-6233.
An American Red Cross blood drive is 10 a.m.-3 p.m. today in the Calhoun Community College Robert Casteen Student Center lobby, 6250 U.S. 31 North in Tanner. More information or schedule appointments: www.redcrossblood.org or Teresa Bush 256-990-0830.
Spaghetti dinner fundraiser
Vietnam Veterans of America, chapter 511, will hold an all-you-can-eat spaghetti dinner 11 a.m.-1 p.m. and 5-7 p.m. today at the VVA building, 17915 W. Elm St. The $7 meal includes spaghetti, garlic toast, salad, dessert and drink. Proceeds benefit the VVA scholarship funds.
AHS parent/student meeting
A parent/student meeting for grades 9-11 at Athens High School is at 6 tonight in the school cafeteria. Registration procedures, course offerings and graduation requirements will be discussed.
An American Red Cross blood drive is 8:30 a.m. until 2 p.m. Thursday at the Tanner High School gymnasium lobby, 12060 Sommers Road in Tanner. More information or schedule appointments: www.redcrossblood.org or Teresa Bush 256-990-0830.
Caregivers Night Out will be 6-9 p.m. Friday at Friendship United Methodist Church, 16479 Lucas Ferry Road. Make reservations by noon Thursday, March 20, at 256-232-7207.
Women’s History speaker
Dr. Deborah Barnhart, chief executive officer and executive director of the U.S. Space & Rocket Center in Huntsville will speak at 1 p.m. Saturday at the Alabama Veterans Museum, 100 W. Pryor St. The speech is part of Women’s History Month honoring women of the Vietnam War era.
Tickets are available for the Athelstine Lodge No. 71 annual banquet to be held at 7 p.m. Saturday at Round Island Creek Missionary Baptist Assoc. facility on Lucas Ferry Road. Featured speaker is Dr. Alfred Brinkley of Athens and author of “Courageous Expectations.” Tickets can be purchased from lodge members at $25 for adults and $15 for age 14 and under.
American Red Cross will conduct a blood drive from 9 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. Sunday at Good Shepherd United Methodist Church, 1418 Old Railroad Bed Road.
Library page applications
Summer library page applications for teens will be available at Athens-Limestone Public Library March 17-April 19. Applicants must be age 13 by June 1 and have completed seventh grade. Applications also available at alcpl.org. Due April 19. More information: Kelli 256-232-1233.
Donnell House fundraiser
A bridge tournament to raise funds for the restoration of the Donnell House will be held at 9:30 a.m. Tuesday, March 25, at Donnell House. Cost to play is $25. Brunch served. Reservations by today, March 18. Make checks payable to Donnell House and mail to: Myrna Burgreen, 100 Maryville Drive, Athens, AL 35611. More information: 256-232-5600 or 232-7109.
• VFW. Veterans of Foreign Wars and Ladies Auxiliary will meet for dinner and fellowship at 6 tonight, March 18, with the monthly meeting to follow. Nominations for new officers will be taken. The VFW post is on North Jefferson Street. Contact: Fred 256-233-0213.
• Partners in Pink. Athens breast cancer support group Partners in Pink will meet at 6 tonight, March 18, in the Athens-Limestone Hospital Education Room. All breast cancer patients and survivors are invited. Preparations will be made for the April Health Fair on the Square.
• ALSO. Athens-Limestone Seniors Organization will meet following a Dutch-treat lunch at 11 a.m. Thursday, March 20, at Mac’s Steakhouse on South Jefferson Street. Dennis Morrison, director of Joy’s House, will speak.
• SCV. The Capt. Thomas H. Hobbs Camp 768 Sons of Confederate Veterans will meet at 6 p.m. Thursday, March 20, at the Alabama Veterans Museum. Michael Cole will speak on “The Last Battles in Tennessee.” The public is invited.
• Positive Look. Positive Look support group for the blind, visually impaired and families and friends, meets from 10 a.m. to noon Friday, March 21, at Athens Recreation Center. The speaker is Stephanie Ritter, RN, BSN, with Athens-Limestone Hospital. More information: Wynell Reynolds 256-232-1493.
• AMVETS. AMVETS and Ladies Auxiliary will meet at 7 a.m. Saturday for Veterans Coffee at the post at 22769 Black Road. For more information, call Lyle Sadler at 256-771-2029.
• NARFE. National Association of Retired Federal Employees chapter 1480 will meet at 9 a.m. Saturday, March 22, at the Veterans Museum on Pryor Street. Norma McCollum with Limestone Manor is guest speaker. Breakfast will be served. Contact: Dean Morgan 256-233-0248.
• Athens Forge. Athens Forge will meet at 10 a.m. Saturday, March 22, at Travis Fleming’s Artistic Anvil, 208 Commercial Drive. John Massey is the demonstrator.
Limestone Ledger is a list of events hosted by nonprofit organizations. Items must be submitted in writing and are listed up to six days to include the day of the event. Email submissions to firstname.lastname@example.org, fax to 256-233-7753 or bring to The News Courier, 410 W. Green St., Athens, AL.