Used book sale
The Friends of Athens-Limestone Public Library will hold a used book sale from 10 a.m.-4 p.m. today at the library at 405 E. South St. Contact: 256-232-1233.
Intro to iPad class
Limestone County Schools is offering an iPad basics course taught by Karen Tucker. “Introduction to the iPad” will cover settings, downloads, using apps, saving battery life and more. Event is from 9:30-11:30 a.m. Saturday at the Center for Lifelong Learning at 121 S. Marion St. Contact: Diane Sauers or Wanda Campbell at 256-233-8260.
Poplar Creek Cemetery will hold decoration day from 10 a.m.-2 p.m. Saturday at the cemetery on Snake Road. Refreshments available. For those who cannot attend, donations may be sent to Poplar Creek Cemetery, P.O. Box 965, Athens, AL 35612. There will be a meeting at 10 a.m.
Athens High School Class of 1983 will hold its 30-year reunion at 7 p.m. Saturday at 26435 Ed Ray Road, Athens. For more information, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
4 Paws and a Book
4 Paws and a Book, a program dedicated to improving the reading skills of children ages 5 and older, will be held from 9 a.m.-10:30 a.m. Saturday at the Houston Memorial Library in Athens. Children may bring their own book or read a favorite one of Miss Sophie Grey, a Yorkshire terrier and a registered READ dog. To schedule a time to read, call the library at 256-233-8770.
The annual homecoming and decoration at Pettusville Cemetery will be at 11 a.m. Sunday. Speaker will be Timothy McDowell. Donations for the upkeep of the cemetery may be mailed to Marcus Hobbs at 22695 Pettusville Road, Elkmont, AL 35620. Make checks payable to Pettusville Cemetery Fund.
Market program ends
The Senior Farmer’s Market Program has been completed for the year. There will be no new applications taken. Applications will be available in January 2014 at the Council on Aging.
Wildlife day camps
Wheeler National Wildlife Refuge will hold free day camps in June and July for children ages 8-10 and 11-13. Campers arrive at the refuge visitor center at 9 a.m. for camp and depart at 2 p.m. Camp includes, but is not limited to, scavenger hunts, bird studies, reptiles and amphibians, nature crafts and fishing. Apply insect repellant and sunscreen before arriving. Sign up children for selected dates in June and July at 256-350-6639.
• DAV meeting. Disabled American Veterans will hold its monthly meeting with food and fellowship at 6 tonight, June 11, at 25396 Airport Road. Business meeting will follow.
• Historic preservation. Athens Historic Preservation Commission will meet at 6 p.m. tonight, June 11, at the Public Works Department on Elm Street. A work session begins at 5:45 p.m.
• Limestone Republicans. Limestone County Republican Executive Committee will dine at 6 p.m. and meet at 7 tonight, June 11, at 306 Barbecue at 23101 U.S. 72 East in Athens. State Rep. Micky Hammon, R-Decatur, will be guest speaker. Public invited. Make reservations by sending email to Ronnie.email@example.com.
• Cancer support. American Cancer Society support group for survivors and caregivers will meet at 6 tonight, June 11, at Shoney’s restaurant in Athens. All welcome.
• Tanner Quarterback Club. Tanner Quarterback Club will meet at 7 tonight, June 11, at Tanner High School library. Anyone interested in youth or school athletics is invited.
• V.F.W. Veterans of Foreign Wars and Ladies Auxiliary will meet for dinner and fellowship at 6 p.m. Tuesday, June 18. Swearing in of newly elected officials and monthly meeting to follow. For more information, call Fred at 256-233-0213.
Limestone Ledger is a list of events hosted by nonprofit organizations. Items must be submitted in writing and are listed up to six days to include the day of the event. Mail or bring submissions to The News Courier, 410 W. Green St., Athens, AL 35611; email to firstname.lastname@example.org or fax to 256-233-7753.