Wildlife day camps
Wheeler National Wildlife Refuge will hold free day camps in June and July for children ages 8-10 and 11-13. Campers arrive at the refuge visitor center at 9 a.m. for camp and depart at 2 p.m. Camp includes, but is not limited to, scavenger hunts, bird studies, reptiles and amphibians, nature crafts and fishing. Apply insect repellant and sunscreen before arriving. Sign up children for selected dates in June and July at 256-350-6639.
• DAV meeting. Disabled American Veterans will hold its monthly meeting with food and fellowship at 6 tonight, June 11, at 25396 Airport Road. Business meeting will follow.
• Historic preservation. Athens Historic Preservation Commission will meet at 6 p.m. tonight, June 11, at the Public Works Department on Elm Street. A work session begins at 5:45 p.m.
• Limestone Republicans. Limestone County Republican Executive Committee will dine at 6 p.m. and meet at 7 tonight, June 11, at 306 Barbecue at 23101 U.S. 72 East in Athens. State Rep. Micky Hammon, R-Decatur, will be guest speaker. Public invited. Make reservations by sending email to Ronnie.email@example.com.
• Cancer support. American Cancer Society support group for survivors and caregivers will meet at 6 tonight, June 11, at Shoney’s restaurant in Athens. All welcome.
• Tanner Quarterback Club. Tanner Quarterback Club will meet at 7 tonight, June 11, at Tanner High School library. Anyone interested in youth or school athletics is invited.
• V.F.W. Veterans of Foreign Wars and Ladies Auxiliary will meet for dinner and fellowship at 6 p.m. Tuesday, June 18. Swearing in of newly elected officials and monthly meeting to follow. For more information, call Fred at 256-233-0213.
Limestone Ledger is a list of events hosted by nonprofit organizations. Items must be submitted in writing and are listed up to six days to include the day of the event. Mail or bring submissions to The News Courier, 410 W. Green St., Athens, AL 35611; email to firstname.lastname@example.org or fax to 256-233-7753.