A Red Cross blood drive will be held from 10 a.m. until 3 p.m. Tuesday at the Calhoun Community College Chasteen Student Center lobby, 6250 U.S. 31 North in Tanner. Sponsored by the Student Government Association.
The American Legion Post 49 monthly chicken stew will be held from 10 a.m. until 1 p.m. Tuesday. Cost is $5 to eat in or for per quart carryouts. Containers provided. No sides with carryouts. Information: Rod Huffman 256-233-3023. Reserve carryouts: 256-230-6233.
Orchids in Spring
The Heart of Dixie Orchid Society’s annual show and sale “Orchids in Spring” will be held from 9 a.m. until 5 p.m. Wednesday and Thursday, March 20-21 in the Huntsville Botanical Garden’s Boeing Education Room. Free admission. Learn how to grow orchids. Plants and supplies will be for sale. Information: 256-230-5932.
The Alzheimer’s Association will have an information booth from 2-4 p.m. Wednesday at Walgreens, 101 U.S. 31 North in Athens for people wanting to know more about Alzheimer’s disease.
AMS Parent/Student meeting
There will be a parent-student meeting at 6 p.m. Thursday in the Athens High School cafeteria for Athens Middle School eighth-graders who will enter Athens High School for the 2013-2014 school year. Includes registration procedures, course offerings and graduation requirements.
Rescue Squad garage sale
The Athens-Limestone Rescue Squad is in need of saleable items for an upcoming garage sale. Call to arrange pickup or drop off items at 1401 Freeman Ave. All types of items needed. Contact: J.R. Creel 256-434-6355.
The Athens High School greenhouse opens Saturday, March 16, with vegetables, ferns and an assortment of bedding plants. Hours are 9 a.m. until 1 p.m. Saturdays and 3:30-5 p.m. Tuesdays.
Vidalia onions sale
The Athens Ladies Civitan club is taking orders for Vidalia onions. Onions are $10 for 10 pounds. Order deadline is April 12. Projected delivery date is early May. Orders taken by phone at 256-232-2865 or 256-729-1255 or mail at P.O. Box 1814, Athens, AL 35612. Mail checks by April 12 payable to ALCC. Include name, address and phone number.
• Paratroopers. The Alabama chapter of the 82nd Airborne Division Association invites all paratroopers, past or present, to their monthly meeting at 11:30 a.m. today, March 16, at the Outlaw Steakhouse in Guntersville. Information: http://www.yourfriends.com/vulcan82nd/
• NAACP. The Limestone County NAACP general membership meeting will be held at 7:30 p.m. Monday, March 18, at the Chamber of Commerce, 101 Beaty St. Public welcome. Contact: Wilbert Woodruff 256-227-8489.
• VFW. Veterans of Foreign Wars and Ladies Auxiliary will gather for dinner at 6 p.m. Tuesday, March 19, at the Post, 4765 N. Jefferson St. Nominations for new officers and meeting to follow. Contact: Fred 256-233-0213.
• Democratic Conference. The Alabama Democratic Conference will meet at 6:30 p.m. Tuesday, March 19, at Frazier Chapel AME Church on Hine Street in Athens. Biannual election of officers and regular meeting activities. Public invited. Contact: James Lucas 256-431-3744.
• ALSO. The Athens-Limestone Seniors Organization will meet and have a Dutch-treat lunch at 11 a.m. Thursday, March 21, at Mac’s Steakhouse on Jefferson Street. Special guest is motivational speaker and author Allison Wetherbee. Public invited.
• AMVETS. Post 21 and the Ladies Auxiliary will meet at 6 p.m. Thursday, March 21, at 22769 Black Road in Athens. Covered dish dinner will be served. Upcoming events and Post business will be discussed. Contact: 256-771-2029
• SCV. The Capt. Thomas H. Hobbs Camp 768 Sons of Confederate Veterans will meet at 6 p.m. Thursday, March 21, at the Alabama Veterans Museum and Archives. Public is invited.
Limestone Ledger is a list of events hosted by nonprofit organizations. Items must be submitted in writing and are listed up to six days to include the day of the event. Mail or bring submissions to The News Courier, 410 W. Green St., Athens, AL 35611; email to firstname.lastname@example.org or fax to 256-233-7753.