Alabama Veterans Museum and Archives on East Pryor Street in Athens will present a free showing of the movie “National Treasures” at 11:30 a.m. today.
Summer reading registration
Athens-Limestone Public Library will hold its summer reading program registration today from 10 a.m.-12:30 p.m., from 2-4 p.m., and from 6-7:30 p.m. The program is free and available to all ages. Contact: 256-232-1233 or www.alcpl.org.
WEDNESDAY, JULY 4
Veterans of Foreign Wars and Ladies Auxiliary will host a backyard cookout at noon Wednesday, July 4, at the VFW Post on 4765 N. Jefferson S. They will serve hamburgers, hot dogs and sodas. The event is free to the public. Call Fred at 256-233-0213.
American Red Cross blood drive will be held from 11 a.m.-4 p.m. Thursday, July 5, at Walmart at 1011 U.S. 72 East in Athens.
Bethel, Tenn., Lodge 194 F&AM will serve a buffet charity breakfast from 7-9 a.m. Saturday at the lodge. The public is invited. Nonperishable food is being collected for the food bank.
Peace, Love & Animals will host a “Pet Adoption Extravaganza” from 9 a.m.-2 p.m. Saturday at the Bark Avenue Pet Resort located at 19135 Nuclear Plant Road in Tanner.
The sixth-annual Elk River boat party will be held from 3 p.m. until dark Saturday, with music by Kozmic Mama. Fireworks after dark. Attendance by boat only. Directions: From Lee Hi Bridge on the Elk River, go north. Anderson Creek will be on the left and the party site is on the right.
Art auction benefits pets
The Art Auction for Heart of Alabama Pet Society will begin at 5 p.m. Saturday in downtown Rogersville outside Dawn Yang’s Fine Art Studio at 1605 Lee St. The auction is designed to raise money to care for unwanted homeless animals at the Florence Lauderdale Animal Shelter.
Used book sale
Friends of Athens-Limestone Public Library will hold a used book sale from 10 a.m.-2 p.m. Saturday at the library at 405 E. South St. Call 256-232-1233.
Clements firefighters fundraiser
A door-to-door fundraiser/picture drive is under way by the Clements Volunteer Fire Department for donations to purchase new air packs and fire gear. The drive will last approximately five weeks.
• County Commission. The Limestone County Commission will meet at 10 a.m. Monday, July 2, at the Clinton Street annex.
• Veterans. Vietnam Veterans of America chapter 511 will meet Tuesday, July 3, at the chapter hall. Food at 6:30 p.m., meeting at 7.
• American Legion. Post 49 and the Ladies Auxiliary monthly meeting will be at 7 p.m. Thursday, July 5, at 124 Cloverleaf Drive in Athens. Contact: Rod Huffman 256-233-3023.
• July Coffee Call. Alabama Veterans Museum and Archives will host July Coffee Call at 8 a.m. Saturday, July 7, at the Alabama Veterans Museum, 100 W. Pryor St. in Athens. Area veterans and spouses are invited. The event is sponsored by Joe Bongiovoni and Serra Toyota. Call 256-771-7578.
• City Council. Athens City Council will meet at 5:30 p.m. Monday, July 9, at the Athens Police Department on Hobbs Street. A work session begins at 4:30 p.m.
Limestone Ledger is a list of events hosted by nonprofit organizations. Items must be submitted in writing and are listed up to six days to include the day of the event. Mail or bring submissions to The News Courier, 410 W. Green St., Athens, AL 35611; email to firstname.lastname@example.org or fax to 256-233-7753.