Blood drive at Tanner High
A Red Cross blood drive will be held from 8:30 a.m. until 1:30 p.m. today in the gymnasium lobby at Tanner High School, 12060 Sommers Road.
Jay Livingston, vice president of global marketing at Bank of America in New York, will speak at 7 p.m. Thursday in the Sandridge Student Center ballroom at Athens State University. The lecture, sponsored by the Livingston Concert Lecture Series, is free to the public.
The Positive Look support group for the blind and visually impaired, family and friends will meet from 10 a.m. until noon Friday at the Athens Recreation Center. Guest speaker is Athens Mayor Ronnie Marks.
Caregiver’s Night Out will be from 6-9 p.m. Friday at Friendship United Methodist Church, 16479 Lucas Ferry Road. Make reservations by noon Thursday, March 14, at 256-232-7207.
Teen Tech afternoon
The Athens-Limestone Public Library will host a Teen Tech afternoon from 3-4:30 Friday, March 15, in celebration of Teen Tech Week. Activities include a make-a-meme contest, a search engine battle, a social media chat about what is safe and what is not, and a Fun Film extravaganza. Snacks included. For teens only. Contact Kelli with questions at 256-232-1233.
Ardmore beauty pageant
The annual Ardmore High School Beauty Pageant begins at 6:30 p.m. Friday and at 10 a.m. Saturday in the school gymnasium. Final competition is at 7 p.m. Saturday. Proceeds benefit the highs school’s band.
North Border Lodge at Salem will hold a country-style breakfast from 7-9 a.m. Saturday. Public is invited. Contacts: Steve Rogers 356-714-0552 and Gary Pugh 256-729-0608.
4 Paws and a Book
A program dedicated to improving reading skills of children ages 5 and older, called 4 Paws and a Book will be held from 9-10:30 a.m. Saturday at the Houston Memorial Library in Athens. Children can bring their own book or read a favorite of Miss Sophie Grey, a Yorkshire terrier, who will be present for the program. To schedule a time to read, call the library at 256-233-8770.
Corporate Spelling Bee
The Athens-Limestone County Learn-to-Read Council’s 18th annual Corporate Spelling Bee will be held at 10 a.m. Saturday in the Athens High School cafeteria. Free admission to spectators. Refreshments served. Contact: 256-230-3050.
Althenstine Lodge banquet
The Althenstine Lodge No. 71 annual fellowship benefit banquet will be held at 6 p.m. Saturday at the Round Island Creek Missionary Baptist Center on Lucas Ferry Road. Tickets are $25 for adults and $15 for children 15 and under. Guest speaker is NAACP Southeast Regional Director Kevin Miles. Contacts: Mansfield Scott 256-732-3978 or Steve Branch 256-431-0968.
A Red Cross blood drive will be held from 10 a.m. until 3 p.m. Tuesday at the Calhoun Community College Chasteen Student Center lobby, 6250 U.S. 31 North in Tanner. Sponsored by the Student Government Association.
The American Legion Post 49 monthly chicken stew will be held from 10 a.m. until 1 p.m. Tuesday. Cost is $5 to eat in or for per quart carryouts. Containers provided. No sides with carryouts. Information: Rod Huffman 256-233-3023. Reserve carryouts: 256-230-6233.
Rescue Squad garage sale
The Athens-Limestone Rescue Squad is in need of saleable items for an upcoming garage sale. Call to arrange pickup or drop off items at 1401 Freeman Ave. All types of items needed. Contact: J.R. Creel 256-434-6355.
The Athens High School greenhouse opens Saturday, March 16, with vegetables, ferns and an assortment of bedding plants. Hours are 9 a.m. until 1 p.m. Saturdays and 3:30-56 p.m. Tuesdays.
Vidalia onions sale
The Athens Ladies Civitan club is taking orders for Vidalia onions. Onions are $10 for 10 pounds. Order deadline is April 12. Projected delivery date is early May. Orders taken by phone at 256-232-2865 or 256-729-1255 or mail at P.O. Box 1814, Athens, AL 35612. Mail checks by April 12 payable to ALCC. Include name, address and phone number.
• Garden Club. Athens Garden Club members and guests will meet at 9:30 a.m. today, March 13, at the First Presbyterian Church Rodgers Center. Chris Becker with Alabama Cooperative Extension will present the program, “Garden Insects and Pests.”
• Democrats. The Limestone County Democrats will meet at 6:30 p.m. Thursday, March 14, at the Sheriff’s Rodeo Arena. Pot luck meal served at 6 p.m. Speaker is Leanne Townsend of the Birmingham Democratic Party Headquarters. Public is invited.
• American Legion. Post 49 will hold its annual birthday dinner at 6:30 p.m. Thursday, March 14, at the Post home on Cloverleaf Drive in Athens. 2013 dues must be paid to attend. Contact: Rod Huffman 256-233-3023.
• Paratroopers. The Alabama chapter of the 82nd Airborne Division Association invites all paratroopers, past or present, to their monthly meeting at 11:30 a.m. Saturday, March 16, at the Outlaw Steakhouse in Guntersville. Information: http://www.yourfriends.com/vulcan82nd/
• NAACP. The Limestone County NAACP general membership meeting will be held at 7:30 p.m. Monday, March 18, at the Chamber of Commerce, 101 Beaty St. Public welcome. Contact: Wilbert Woodruff 256-227-8489.
• VFW. Veterans of Foreign Wars and Ladies Auxiliary will gather for dinner at 6 p.m. Tuesday, March 19, at the Post, 4765 N. Jefferson St. Nominations for new officers and meeting to follow. Contact: Fred 256-233-0213.
• Democratic Conference. The Alabama Democratic Conference will meet at 6:30 p.m. Tuesday, March 19, at Frazier Chapel AME Church on Hine Street in Athens. Biannual election of officers and regular meeting activities. Public invited. Contact: James Lucas 256-431-3744.
Limestone Ledger is a list of events hosted by nonprofit organizations. Items must be submitted in writing and are listed up to six days to include the day of the event. Mail or bring submissions to The News Courier, 410 W. Green St., Athens, AL 35611; email to email@example.com or fax to 256-233-7753.