The Bethel, Tenn. Lodge 194 F&AM will serve a buffet breakfast to benefit charity from 7-9 a.m. Saturday at the Lodge building. Public invited. Nonperishable food is being collected for the food bank.
Used book sale
The Friends of Athens-Limestone Public Library will hold a used book sale from 10 a.m.- 2 p.m. Saturday at the library at 405 E. South St. Contact: 256-232-1233.
Tickets for ‘Crowns’
The critically acclaimed gospel musical “Crowns,” written by Regina Taylor and directed by Frank Travis will be presented at 7 p.m. Friday and Saturday, January 4-5 and at 3 p.m. Sunday, Jan. 6, at the Council on Aging at 912 W. Pryor St. in Athens. Tickets on sale at Pablo’s on Market at 256-216-8464, Raven’s Beauty Salon at 256-233-0202 and Kenny’s Kutz at 256-444-1682. Contacts: Carolyn Williams 256-777-9727 or Richard Martin 256-278-1261. Proceeds benefit the Fort Henderson-Trinity School Project.
• Piecemakers Quilt Guild. Athens Piecemakers Quilt Guild will meet tonight, Jan. 3, at First Church of Athens at 17175 Lucas Ferry Road. Social time is 6:15 p.m. Meeting begins at 7. Contact: Gloria Carden 256-874-4182.
• American Legion. American Legion Post 49 and Ladies Auxiliary will meet at 7 tonight, Jan. 3, at the post home at 124 Cloverleaf Drive in Athens. Post dues increase for 2014 and will be discussed and voted on. Contact: Rod Huffman 256-233-3023.
• Healing Hearts. The Healing Hearts Pregnancy and Infant Loss Support Group will meet at 6:30 p.m. Monday, Jan. 7, in the Education Department at Athens-Limestone Hospital. Find more information at Healing Hearts of Limestone County on Facebook or through the Education Department at Athens-Limestone Hospital.
• Cancer support group. An American Cancer Society dinner and meeting for cancer survivors, caregivers and guests will be held at 6 p.m. Tuesday, Jan. 8, at Shoney’s on U.S. 72 in Athens. Contact: 256-232-6455.
• Vietnam Veterans. Vietnam Veterans of America chapter 511 will meet at 6:30 p.m. Tuesday, Jan. 8, for the annual holiday dinner. Meat provided by chapter 511. Voluntary covered dishes and desserts are requested. No business meeting is scheduled.
• Garden Club. Athens Garden Club members and guests will meet at 9:30 a.m. Wednesday, Jan. 9, at the First Presbyterian Church Rodgers Center. Past president of the Hosta Society of Northern Alabama Susan Webb will present the program, “Introducing Hostas.”
Limestone Ledger is a list of events hosted by nonprofit organizations. Items must be submitted in writing and are listed up to six days to include the day of the event. Mail or bring submissions to The News Courier, 410 W. Green St., Athens, AL 35611; email to firstname.lastname@example.org or fax to 256-233-7753.