Tree seedlings giveaway
Keep Athens-Limestone Beautiful will have a tree seedlings giveaway for Limestone County residents only at 10 a.m. Saturday, Feb. 16, at Big Spring Memorial Park in Athens to help reforest areas of Alabama hardest hit by April 2011 tornadoes. Visit KeepAthensLimestoneBeautiful.com for a list of tree species available, and an order form to print, complete, and bring to the event. Contact: KALB 256-233-8728 or KeepALBeautiful@att.net.
• Quilt guild. The Athens PieceMakers Quilt Guild will meet at 6 tonight, Feb. 7, at First Church of Athens on Lucas Ferry Road. Quilt instructor Fran Sargent will present the meeting.
• Fitting the Pieces. A network group for parents that have children with autism will meet from 6-7:30 tonight, Feb. 7, at Lindsay Lane Baptist Church in Athens. Contact: Todd Tomerlin 256-431-3511 or email email@example.com.
• American Legion. Post 49 and the Ladies Auxiliary monthly meeting will be at 7 tonight, Feb. 7, at 124 Cloverleaf Drive in Athens. Contact: Rod Huffman 256-233-3023.
• Autism Society. The Autism Society of Alabama will hold a meeting from 8-8:30 tonight, Feb. 7, at Lindsay Lane Baptist Church for volunteers wanting to help with the April 13 autism walk. Contact: Todd Tomerlin 256-431-3511 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
• Master Gardeners. The Limestone County Master Gardener Assoc. will meet at noon Monday, Feb. 11, in the Extension Office on Market Street in Athens. Karen Voelker will present a program on “Understanding Zen Gardening” and offer tips on preparing your garden for the new year. Bring handmade valentine to share on your love of gardening is optional. Water, tea and dessert provided.
• Cancer survivor dinner. An American Cancer Society dinner and meeting for cancer survivors, caregivers and guests will be held at 6 p.m. Tuesday, Feb. 12, at Shoney’s on U.S. 72. Contact: 256-232-6455.
• DAV. The Disabled American Veterans monthly meeting will be held Tuesday, Feb. 12, at the DAV, 25396 Airport Road off Alabama 127 in Athens. Food and fellowship at 6 p.m. and meeting at 7.
• Garden Club. Athens Garden Club members and guests will meet at 9 a.m. Wednesday, Feb. 13, at the First Presbyterian Church Rodgers Center. Cory Brown, owner of the Catbird Seat, will present “Growing Flowers with Larger Blooms.” Meeting is open to members and their guests.
Limestone Ledger is a list of events hosted by nonprofit organizations. Items must be submitted in writing and are listed up to six days to include the day of the event. Mail or bring submissions to The News Courier, 410 W. Green St., Athens, AL 35611; email to email@example.com or fax to 256-233-7753.