A Limestone County Republican Executive Committee Republican breakfast is scheduled for today at H&G Grill located behind Hardee’s on U.S. 72. Arrive by 7:30 a.m. for meet and greet. Breakfast, which is $4 without drinks, begins at 8.
The Limestone County NAACP invites children ages 3-13 to attend the free Steps Book Club/Reading Program session at 9:30 a.m. today at Round Island Creek Mission Center, 13829 Lucas Ferry Road. Learning, lunch and fun provided. Registration and information contact: 256-216-5668.
East Limestone Volunteer Fire Department will hold a chicken stew today at the station. Serving begins at 10 a.m. Bring containers
Veterans of Foreign Wars are sponsoring a fundraiser for brain cancer patient and father of member Derrick Stanridge at noon Sunday at the Post, 4765 N. Jefferson St. Hamburgers and hot dogs available. Donations benefit the patient. Contact: Kevin 256-278-8276.
Mardi Gras Masquerade
The Athens-Limestone Public Library will host a free Mardi Gras Masquerade from 3-4:30 p.m. Tuesday, Feb. 12, for kids only. Bring children for Mardi Gras stories, crafts, games, and snacks. Participants are asked to dress in Mardi Gras colors (green, purple, and gold) and wear a fancy mask. Contact: Library 256-232-1233.
A lecture by sculptor John Solomon Sandridge is planned for 7 p.m. Tuesday at the Alabama Center for the Arts, 133 Second Avenue in Decatur. A reception for Sandridge will be held prior to his lecture at 6 p.m. in the Center’s main gallery. Sandridge’s bronze sculptures of African-American cowboys and western-themed subjects are a large part of Athens State University’s recently obtained Wideman Collection.
Chocolate fondue for teens
The Athens-Limestone Public Library will host a free chocolate fondue party for teens only from 3:30-5 p.m. Thursday. Event includes dipping pretzels, fruit, marshmallows, and a discussion on favorite books and books you love to hate. Contact: Library 256-232-1233.
Tax Service Counseling
Retired and Senior Volunteer Program income-tax service is being held from 9 a.m.-3 p.m. every Monday and Thursday until April 15 at First Baptist Church Youth Activity Center at the corner of Pryor and Clinton streets in downtown Athens. No appointments will be given. Returns will be filed at no cost to the client. If interested, please bring tax returns from last year, Social Security numbers for each person in the household, birth dates for each person in the household, W-2 form(s) and 1099 form(s), if applicable. For more information, call Dean Morgan of RSVP at 256-232-7207.
The Athens-Limestone Beautification Board will hold the Dogwood Festival Fashion Show and Luncheon at noon Tuesday, March 12, at the Beasley Center, First United Methodist Church on the corner of Bryan and Marion streets. Fashions by Claborn Specialties Boutique and The Shoe Gallery II. Tickets are $25 and must be purchased no later than March 5. No tickets sold at the door. Ticket information: RSVP 256-232-7207.
Tree seedlings giveaway
Keep Athens-Limestone Beautiful will have a tree seedlings giveaway for Limestone County residents only at 10 a.m. Saturday, Feb. 16, at Big Spring Memorial Park in Athens to help reforest areas of Alabama hardest hit by April 2011 tornadoes. Visit KeepAthensLimestoneBeautiful.com for a list of tree species available, and an order form to print, complete, and bring to the event. Contact: KALB 256-233-8728 or KeepALBeautiful@att.net.
• Master Gardeners. The Limestone County Master Gardener Assoc. will meet at noon Monday, Feb. 11, in the Extension Office on Market Street in Athens. Karen Voelker will present a program on “Understanding Zen Gardening” and offer tips on preparing your garden for the new year. Bring handmade valentine to share on your love of gardening is optional. Water, tea and dessert provided.
• Cancer survivor dinner. An American Cancer Society dinner and meeting for cancer survivors, caregivers and guests will be held at 6 p.m. Tuesday, Feb. 12, at Shoney’s on U.S. 72. Contact: 256-232-6455.
• DAV. The Disabled American Veterans monthly meeting will be held Tuesday, Feb. 12, at the DAV, 25396 Airport Road off Alabama 127 in Athens. Food and fellowship at 6 p.m. and meeting at 7.
• Garden Club. Athens Garden Club members and guests will meet at 9 a.m. Wednesday, Feb. 13, at the First Presbyterian Church Rodgers Center. Cory Brown, owner of the Catbird Seat, will present “Growing Flowers with Larger Blooms.” Meeting is open to members and their guests.
• Council on Aging. An “Associate & Appreciate” meeting will be held at 10 a.m. Friday, Feb. 15, at Limestone County Council on Aging, 912 W. Pryor St. Meet officials for conversation, questions and to exchange ideas. Refreshments served.
Limestone Ledger is a list of events hosted by nonprofit organizations. Items must be submitted in writing and are listed up to six days to include the day of the event. Mail or bring submissions to The News Courier, 410 W. Green St., Athens, AL 35611; email to firstname.lastname@example.org or fax to 256-233-7753.