Church briefs must be submitted in writing, either on a form available at The News Courier office at 410 W. Green St., Athens, or sending email to email@example.com or a fax to 256-233-7753.
• Quiet Day. A Quiet Day will be held from 9 a.m. until 2 p.m. Saturday, Feb. 16, at Saint Timothy's Episcopal Church, 107 E. Washington street in downtown Athens. The rector will celebrate a spoken Eucharist at 11:30 am. Anyone who cares to take part in quiet contemplation is invited. Quiet music, and other aids to meditation will be available. Contact: Bobbie Patton 256-232-3645.
• Spaghetti dinner. Full Gospel Tabernacle on 7 Mile Post Road in Athens will hold their annual spaghetti dinner at 6 p.m. Saturday, Feb. 16, in the church fellowship hall. Proceeds go toward a youth trip and to add a church steeple. Prices: Age 12 to adult, $10; 4-11, $5. Dinner includes spaghetti, salad, bread, drink and dessert. Carryouts available.
• Fellowship. Pastor David Wallace and House of Hope Ministry will fellowship with New Zion P.B. Church at 2 p.m. Sunday, Feb. 17, at New Zion.
• Deacon ordination. West Highland Baptist Church will hold a deacon ordination service at 2:30 p.m. Sunday, Feb. 17. Fellowship will follow in the Christian Life Center.
Members and friends are invited. Contact: 256-232-3397.
• African-American History. Indian Creek Primitive Baptist Church is hosting special events in observance of African-American History Month. An essay contest for grades 1-12 is being held Wednesday, Feb. 20, and their Great Debate will be held at 6 p.m. Wednesday, Feb. 27, during Bible study.
• Family and Friends Day. The Indian Creek Primitive Baptist Church will hold their annual Family and Friends Day at 8 and 11 a.m. Sunday, Feb. 24. Public invited.
• Homecoming Celebration. Greenbrier Baptist Church will hold its 70th annual Homecoming Celebration on Sunday, Feb. 24. Squire Parsons will sing at the 11 a.m. service. A fellowship meal follows at 12:30 p.m. and evening services are planned for 1:45. Friends and former members invited. More information: www.greenbrierbaptistchurch.net or 256-497-7349.